Sports, Tennis

Hurricanes prevail despite low ranking

Falling 11 spots in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) rankings usually makes for a discouraged and unmotivated team.

However, the University of Miami women’s tennis team has not faltered since – in fact, it retaliated with a 7-0 sweep of Wake Forest, losing only one set in the entire match. The team also defeated No. 14 Clemson, 7-0, just two days later.

The doubles performance of senior Lina Lileikite and junior Stephanie Wagner nearly toppled the top-ranked doubles team in the country against Clemson. Lileikite and Wagner led 7-4 and were two points away from defeating Beatrice Gumulya and Jessy Rompies when the match ended.

On top of that, star senior Clementina Riobueno was named ACC Player of the Week.

Maybe the ITA should question the Hurricanes’ talent more often. On Tuesday, the ITA ranked the Hurricanes as No. 14.

“We’re excited for March. March is a tough month for us, and to start [ACC play] the way we did was great,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews told hurricanesports.com. “They came out and they just played with incredible energy and did a great job … I thought they played well; I thought they played clean.”

The Hurricanes have yet to lose a single match in head-to-head ACC play, but they must continue to play with the right amount of confidence and motivation.

As one of the most competitive conferences in the ITA, the ACC is bound to throw tough matches at Miami with University of North Carolina (UNC), Duke and Florida State University (FSU).

Four of the top 15 teams and six in the top 25 in the ITA are in the ACC.

UNC handed Miami one of its hardest losses of the season last month at the ITA National Indoor Championships, and rival FSU always puts up a tough match.

Both of Miami’s losses in 2015 are to teams that have been ranked No. 1 in the country.

Six of Miami’s eight dual matches have come against nationally ranked teams. The Canes defeated four of them; three of them were shutouts.

This Friday, the Hurricanes will head north to Syracuse, N.Y. to take on the Orange at 3 p.m.

Alexa Pappas

Friday was strange for Gino DiMare. It wasn’t because his whole family went out to the mound at Alex ...

One thing was obvious to Wayne Younger the first time he got his hands on Ladarius Tennison: The ath ...

Though it’s early, UM already has assembled an outstanding nine-member 2020 recruiting class, a grou ...

Three days before they open their season against the Rutgers Scarlet Knights, the Miami Hurricanes h ...

The first half of Wednesday night’s game was as lousy as the weather outside the Watsco Center, as t ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The University of Miami baseball team opened the Gino DiMare era with a record-setting victory over ...

The Canes open the 75th season in program history and first under the direction of head coach Gino D ...

Game time is 6 p.m. in Chestnut Hill, Mass. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team will play its second top-five foe in a span of three g ...

The University of Miami golf team heads to the Big Easy to open competition Sunday at the 2019 Allst ...