Sports, Tennis

Hurricanes prevail despite low ranking

Falling 11 spots in the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) rankings usually makes for a discouraged and unmotivated team.

However, the University of Miami women’s tennis team has not faltered since – in fact, it retaliated with a 7-0 sweep of Wake Forest, losing only one set in the entire match. The team also defeated No. 14 Clemson, 7-0, just two days later.

The doubles performance of senior Lina Lileikite and junior Stephanie Wagner nearly toppled the top-ranked doubles team in the country against Clemson. Lileikite and Wagner led 7-4 and were two points away from defeating Beatrice Gumulya and Jessy Rompies when the match ended.

On top of that, star senior Clementina Riobueno was named ACC Player of the Week.

Maybe the ITA should question the Hurricanes’ talent more often. On Tuesday, the ITA ranked the Hurricanes as No. 14.

“We’re excited for March. March is a tough month for us, and to start [ACC play] the way we did was great,” head coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews told hurricanesports.com. “They came out and they just played with incredible energy and did a great job … I thought they played well; I thought they played clean.”

The Hurricanes have yet to lose a single match in head-to-head ACC play, but they must continue to play with the right amount of confidence and motivation.

As one of the most competitive conferences in the ITA, the ACC is bound to throw tough matches at Miami with University of North Carolina (UNC), Duke and Florida State University (FSU).

Four of the top 15 teams and six in the top 25 in the ITA are in the ACC.

UNC handed Miami one of its hardest losses of the season last month at the ITA National Indoor Championships, and rival FSU always puts up a tough match.

Both of Miami’s losses in 2015 are to teams that have been ranked No. 1 in the country.

Six of Miami’s eight dual matches have come against nationally ranked teams. The Canes defeated four of them; three of them were shutouts.

This Friday, the Hurricanes will head north to Syracuse, N.Y. to take on the Orange at 3 p.m.

Alexa Pappas

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...