V's Take

Dear V: Stuck in the friend zone…

V,

Living in Miami, I am constantly surrounded by fake boobs, sculpted abs and the ever-present sight of the bottom half of girls’ butt cheeks. As a girl of a larger size (and I don’t mean Meghan Trainor, more like Adele pre-weight loss or a Jill Scott), how do I grab a guy’s attention? I am very comfortable in my skin and have a lot of male friends who think I am “real cool.” How do I make guys stop seeing me as the homegirl and let them see me as the girl they want to bring home to their mom?

Sincerely,

Sexless in the City

Dear Sexless in the City,

You’re stuck in the role that Katy Perry hated, “One of the Boys.” Hey, you’ve got good company, right? Guys drool over Katy and her assets.

It’s tough being a chameleon. You change yourself to fit in with the gang, but once it’s too late, you realize you’d rather be the girl that guys are chasing than part of “The Hangover’s” Wolfpack.

Being included is nice, but what about when you want a kiss instead of a bro-fist?

First, stay comfortable in your skin. Remember sexiness comes in all different-sized packages. Just because Miami seems to prefer the bleached-blonde bobblehead doesn’t mean you shouldn’t love what you have to offer – curves, brains, and a personality, to boot.

You could always change your hair, start wearing more makeup, and flirt with your “bros,” but then you’d be risking being burned and make it awkward for the clique.

Instead, find a guy outside your circle. He won’t know that you laugh at fart jokes, that you can whoop anyone’s butt at Xbox, or that you actually know how football works. He won’t know that you prefer “Breaking Bad” to “Gossip Girl” or that you’d skip a day out shopping to go to the bar and watch the game over some cheesy fries and a beer.

Don’t change who you actually are, just embrace that chameleon spirit of yours and adjust to the situation. Go on a few dates with this new guy while you’re experimenting with your girly side. Playing a new role can be fun – and with him, you’ll be center stage, rather than a co-star.

And who knows? Maybe if your boys see eye-candy around your arm a few times, they might start to get “jelly” and see you in a different light. So, just branch out of your normal circle, and see what happens when you flaunt your femininity.

Advice Columnist

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...

Head coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the ninth annual Miami Women's Basketball Fantasy Ca ...

The yearly Miami Fall Invite will take place Friday through Sunday at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center, ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...