Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Track earns strong finish at ACC Indoor Championships

Sophomore sprinter Shakima Wimbley and senior Christian Cook led the University of Miami track team to a strong finish at the ACC Indoor Championships in Blacksburg, Va. over the weekend. At the championships, the women placed seventh overall and the men placed eighth.

Wimbley defended her 200m Indoor ACC crown with a personal best time of 23.08 seconds, a time that ranks third in UM history. Wimbley’s previous personal best was 23.35 seconds, .27 seconds slower than her new record. The sophomore star also finished second in the women’s 400m to cap off a strong weekend.

Cook finished first in the men’s 60m hurdles with a time of 7.79 seconds. Cook’s time broke his own personal record of 7.82 seconds and gave him the third-fastest time in UM history. With Cook’s performance, Miami has now won the men’s 60m hurdles championship for an astounding fifth time in seven years at the ACC Indoor Championships.

Junior jumper John-Patrick Friday tied for third in the high jump, breaking his own school record in the event with a jump of 2.11m. Friday also finished fifth in the men’s triple jump, covering a distance of 15.50m and in the long jump with a mark of 7.40m.

Redshirt junior Lea Johnson defended her ACC Indoor title in the weight throw with a distance of 21.45m, placing her in second in the UM record books. The St. Louis native finally broke the 21m plateau and will be going to nationals. Thrower Tiffany Okieme placed third in the event with a mark of 21.16m.

Sophomore Carlos Mangum set a new school record in the men’s weight throw with a distance of 19.95m and finished fifth in the event.

The combination of Kelsey Balkwill, Taneisha Cordell, Anthonia Moore and Wimbley finished third in the 4x400m relay with a time of 3:38.14. Their male counterpart team of Robert Grant, Henri Delauze, Josh Johnson and Cook placed eighth with a time of 3:15.08.

In addition to running on the women’s 4x400m relay team, senior Cordell finished eighth in the women’s 800m final. Cordell ran a time of 2:16.14 in the final, but ran 2:08.50 in the prelims. ​

Mark Poulose

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...