Basketball, Sports

Miami basketball’s tournament hopes uncertain ahead of Pittsburgh (UPDATED)

UPDATE: Sheldon McClellan started in Wednesday night’s game, but Angel Rodriguez sat out. Read the full story here: Team wins sans captain’s support

UPDATE: A source close to the basketball team has informed The Miami Hurricane newspaper that team captain Angel Rodriguez is out for the remainder of the season due to a broken wrist.

Rodriguez originally sustained the injury taking a charge against Florida State, but remained in the game. He played in only three minutes of the subsequent game against North Carolina. Now, according to the source, he is out for the rest of the season.

It is also doubtful whether leading scorer Sheldon McClellan will play in Wednesday night’s contest because of a groin injury. McClellan has been one of the best shooting guards in the nation this season, shooting a remarkable 51 percent from the field.

This greatly perils Miami’s chances of making the NCAA tournament. McClellan and Rodriguez are the team’s two leading scorers, and the team has looked inept at times when both players were off the court.

The burden now falls on ACC leading rebounder Tonye Jekiri and sophomore swingman Davon Reed to lead the Hurricanes against Pittsburgh Wednesday.

Original Post:

In a matchup that appears to be essentially a bubble-elimination game, the Miami Hurricanes travel north to play the Pittsburgh Panthers 8 p.m. Wednesday. Both Miami and Pitt are battling for one of the coveted final spots in this year’s NCAA tournament.

After the Hurricanes’ loss to No. 15 North Carolina on Saturday, head coach Jim Larrañaga said Miami must win its next four games to have a chance to make the Big Dance.

“I like to present our team with goals and challenge them,” Larrañaga said. “The way I look at it right now, I think five teams [from the ACC]are guaranteed [to make the NCAA tournament]. I think the sixth, seventh, and possibly eighth teams from the ACC will depend on how these teams finish in the RPI.”

Miami’s RPI currently resides at 71, while Pitt’s is 49. ESPN’s Joe Lunardi does not have the Hurricanes among the “first four teams out” of the tournament, but as one of the “next four out.” It is essential Miami wins its final two conference games and makes a strong run in the ACC tournament to make it to March Madness.

Larrañaga’s team makes an interesting case for an NCAA tournament bid, despite being firmly locked on the tournament bubble.

“It’s all about winning, where you win, and who you beat,” Larrañaga said.

Miami (18-11, 8-8 ACC) defeated No. 8 Florida in Gainesville, No. 24 Illinois at home and No. 4 Duke on the road. Miami also lost to No. 3 Virginia at home in double overtime. The Hurricanes finished a strong 10-3 in its nonconference schedule.

Yet, like any team on the bubble, the Hurricanes also have some striking losses. Miami lost to mid-majors Green Bay and Eastern Kentucky at home in its out-of-conference schedule, and lost to ACC doormats Georgia Tech and Wake Forest in league play.

In short, Miami is a team that can play with the best in the country, but also a team that can lose focus and intensity against lesser competition. Thus, it sits on the outside looking in as tournament time approaches.

It is still unknown if point guard Angel Rodriguez will play against Pitt (19-11, 8-8 ACC). Rodriguez sprained his right wrist while taking a charge against Florida State, but remained in the game and finished with 25 points. Against North Carolina, however, the team captain was limited to just three minutes and no points due to the ailment. ​

Mark Poulose

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...