Campus Life, News

Breezeway tabling effective for some, overwhelming for others

Students make their way through the breezeway on their way to class. Donatela Vacca // Contributing Photographer

Buzzing with student volunteers, the University of Miami breezeway offers a chance for organizations to spread the word about upcoming events or fundraising. Some passersby, however, find all the commotion overwhelming.

Junior Gabriella Canal explained that the breezeway tends to wear her out instead of grab her attention because of the excessive amount of flyers thrown in her direction.

“I know these students are giving up free time to raise awareness, but sometimes it just becomes too much,” she said. “There are so many tables and so many voices calling you in, that it ends up being useless because we’re totally overwhelmed.”

Brandon Carusillo, public relations manager for Distraction magazine, believes that tabling is efficient and productive.

“You have to get the word out some way, and to me it is fun because we get to bond with the staff while getting some laughs trying to hand magazines out,” he said. “I don’t see why people dread it.”

Carusillo explained that asking simple and friendly questions and being polite is all it takes to make someone stop by.

Junior Emily Robbins, who has tabled for Distraction, said that although she thinks it’s a good method for distributing the magazines, she still feels like it can be an inconvenient to those walking by.

“I always feel like I am bothering people who are just walking to class, and sometimes it doesn’t seem fair to do so,” she said.

Melissa Ostroff, a junior, said she doesn’t like getting approached with handouts when walking through the breezeway.

“I usually have my earphones in so that they don’t approach me,” she said. “Also, I get the impression that most of the tables are associated with fraternities and sororities, which I have no interest in.”

Senior Yael Herman, who has tabled for UNIVEN, the Venezuelan Students Association, explained that the success of tabling depends on the situation and the way information is delivered.

“When organizations just have a stand and are competing for the attention by flying pamphlets in your face or screaming ‘free cupcakes’, I don’t think it takes them very far,” she said.

Donatela Vacca

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...