Basketball, Sports

Miami women’s basketball drops senior day matchup with Florida State

Senior Necole Sterling attempts a shot during Sunday's game against FSU held at the BankUnited Center. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Senior Necole Sterling attempts a shot during Sunday’s game against FSU held at the BankUnited Center. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Despite a resilient 15-3 run in the second half, the Miami Hurricanes could not overcome a 22-point deficit, as No. 9 Florida State continued one of its most impressive seasons in school history with a 69-55 victory.

“That deficit at halftime was something that is daunting, and to come back and to cut it and get ourselves in a position to make that a competitive game was a heck of a lot of effort,” coach Katie Meier said post-game. “We’ll rest up on Monday, and then we’ll get ready for Virginia [in the ACC Tournament].”

The Hurricanes (18-10, 8-8 ACC) were led by Adrienne Motley, who scored 20 points and has now scored in double figures in 26 of 28 games this season. Maegan Conwright led the Seminoles (27-3, 14-2) with 17 points, one of four FSU players in double figures on the game.

Miami honored seniors Jassany Williams, Suriya McGuire and Necole Sterling pre-game, each of whom has been vital to the Hurricanes success this season.

“It’s been amazing because their journeys here are just all so different. I’ve never had a senior class with such a diverse journey,” Meier said of the group. “We get Ray out of Minnesota and then Jazz we lose [as a high school recruit]and we get her back and then Necole we get her via/via two schools. So the diversity of them and what they bring to the table [is amazing]. They’re three very, very special young ladies [with]bright futures ahead of them.”

Williams transferred to Miami after a stint at Auburn, and Sterling came to Miami from Gulf Coast Community College. Williams recorded five blocks on the game, surpassing 200 for her career.

Win or lose, Miami had secured the eight seed in the ACC Tournament, taking place this week in Greensboro, North Carolina.

The Hurricanes will open up against nine seed Virginia Thursday afternoon, with the winner advancing to play top-seed Notre Dame on Friday. Miami is the only team in the ACC to defeat Notre Dame this season, defeating the Irish by 15 earlier in January, 78-63.

WVUM.org and The Miami Hurricane will have live coverage of Miami’s run at the ACC Tournament, with regional affiliates carrying the first two rounds as well, and the ESPN family of networks for the final two rounds.

AJ Ricketts

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...