Basketball, Sports

Miami women’s basketball drops senior day matchup with Florida State

Senior Necole Sterling attempts a shot during Sunday's game against FSU held at the BankUnited Center. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Senior Necole Sterling attempts a shot during Sunday’s game against FSU held at the BankUnited Center. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Despite a resilient 15-3 run in the second half, the Miami Hurricanes could not overcome a 22-point deficit, as No. 9 Florida State continued one of its most impressive seasons in school history with a 69-55 victory.

“That deficit at halftime was something that is daunting, and to come back and to cut it and get ourselves in a position to make that a competitive game was a heck of a lot of effort,” coach Katie Meier said post-game. “We’ll rest up on Monday, and then we’ll get ready for Virginia [in the ACC Tournament].”

The Hurricanes (18-10, 8-8 ACC) were led by Adrienne Motley, who scored 20 points and has now scored in double figures in 26 of 28 games this season. Maegan Conwright led the Seminoles (27-3, 14-2) with 17 points, one of four FSU players in double figures on the game.

Miami honored seniors Jassany Williams, Suriya McGuire and Necole Sterling pre-game, each of whom has been vital to the Hurricanes success this season.

“It’s been amazing because their journeys here are just all so different. I’ve never had a senior class with such a diverse journey,” Meier said of the group. “We get Ray out of Minnesota and then Jazz we lose [as a high school recruit]and we get her back and then Necole we get her via/via two schools. So the diversity of them and what they bring to the table [is amazing]. They’re three very, very special young ladies [with]bright futures ahead of them.”

Williams transferred to Miami after a stint at Auburn, and Sterling came to Miami from Gulf Coast Community College. Williams recorded five blocks on the game, surpassing 200 for her career.

Win or lose, Miami had secured the eight seed in the ACC Tournament, taking place this week in Greensboro, North Carolina.

The Hurricanes will open up against nine seed Virginia Thursday afternoon, with the winner advancing to play top-seed Notre Dame on Friday. Miami is the only team in the ACC to defeat Notre Dame this season, defeating the Irish by 15 earlier in January, 78-63.

WVUM.org and The Miami Hurricane will have live coverage of Miami’s run at the ACC Tournament, with regional affiliates carrying the first two rounds as well, and the ESPN family of networks for the final two rounds.

AJ Ricketts

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...