Campus Life, News

Week of Cuban Culture kicks off

Rosa and Eduardo of the Cuban musical group, Duo Tropical, hit the drums on the rock while students tried a variety of Cuban soft drinks, played games, and learned history. Holly Bensur // Staff Photographer

In a celebration of Cuban culture, the University of Miami’s Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos (FEC) has planned a weeklong series of events to promote Cuban culture through food, art and music.

The week officially kicked off Friday with opening ceremonies and a trip to the baseball game, followed by a barbecue on the Green on the weekend. This week, the events continue with a forum, fashion show, friendly domino competition and a Cuban carnival.

“Our goal for the week every year is to reach more people and make our event reach an even wider audience,” said junior Daniela Lorenzo, vice president and president-elect for FEC. “We want the UM community to really learn about and appreciate our culture, outside of its politics.”

Throughout the week, FEC will be collecting children’s books at each of its events for Chapman Partnership, a nonprofit that empowers the homeless in South Florida.

The first event of the week will be Abuelita’s Breakfast, a traditional Cuban breakfast at the Rock Monday from 9 a.m. to noon. Then, at 6:30 p.m., a Pedro Pan Exodus Forum will be held at the Student Activities Center (SAC) Activities Room. The forum will explore the Pedro Pan Exodus from Cuba and present Cuban history from Pedro Pan children presenting their experiences. There will be a question-and-answer session.

Guayabera designs will be modeled by student leaders and administration on Tuesday in the “Azucar” and Fashion show, which will feature a guayabera showcase in addition to traditional desserts and baked goods from Cuban culture. The event begins at noon on the Rock.

That night, “Scarface” will screen at 8 p.m. at the Cosford Cinema. A reception with FEC will be held before the screening. The event is free for students with a Cane Card.

Wednesday will promote Cuban culture and history with “Discover Cuba,” a chance for students to visit a variety of stations on Cuba and see live cooking demonstrations. It begins at noon on the Rock. “Domino Ef-FEC-t,” a domino tournament with prizes, will be held at 6 p.m. in the SAC Moss Terrace.

The festivities will conclude Thursday with a “Cuban Carnaval,” the week’s largest event. It will feature vendors from the community displaying Cuban art and artifacts, and food will be served. The carnival begins at noon on the Rock.

Emily Dabau

The Miami Hurricanes didn’t waste long to find their replacements for Manny Diaz at defensive coordi ...

The Miami Hurricanes will have to try to get revenge on the Wisconsin Badgers without perhaps their ...

Mark Barnes likes to call Zion Nelson a “throwback” player, but the coach really means Nelson is sor ...

The land of palm trees, beaches and mojitos gave way to the land of the Liberty Bell, cheesesteaks a ...

The University of Miami on Thursday launched a national search as it begins the difficult task of re ...

The Foote Fellows Honors Program offers students added flexibility to pursue multiple academic inter ...

Commencement speakers share gems of insight and wisdom as more than 1,000 UM students graduate in tw ...

During a news conference Wednesday, a UM medical team talked about the clinical findings after exami ...

Your one-stop shop for University of Miami fall commencement information. ...

The University of Miami will welcome more than 1,000 new graduates into the UM alumni family during ...

Hurricanes Name Banda, Patke Co-Defensive Coordinators; Promote Simpson to Associate Head Coach ...

The No. 24/22 Miami women's basketball team will conclude its three-game homestand Sunday at 1 ...

World Series champion and UM baseball All-American Jon Jay will headline the 2019 First Pitch Banque ...

Fall graduation ceremonies held Thursday at Watsco Center. ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...