Athletics, Baseball, Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 2/3

GOLF

The Hurricanes women’s golf team will host the 2015 Hurricane Invitational this week at the par-71 Biltmore Golf Course. The three-day event begins Monday. Sophomore Daniela Darquea, the defending champion, will lead the Canes’ lineup, which includes Leticia Ras-Anderica, Kailey Walsh, Rika Park and Delfina Acosta. The Canes placed seventh at the 2015 UCF Challenge back on Feb. 10, during their last competition. The competing teams include Daytona State, East Carolina, Campbell, Iowa State, Illinois, Kennesaw State, Louisville, Michigan, Middle Tennessee State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Florida and Miami.

TRACK AND FIELD

The 2015 ACC Indoor Championships proved successful for the Hurricanes as they walked away with a pair of gold medal performances. Sophomore sprinter Shakima Wimbley won gold in the women’s 200m, with a personal-best time of 23.08 that ranks third in UM history. She scored her second medal of the day and broke the previous ACC Indoor Championships mark of 23.16 set by Miami’s Murielle Ahoure in 2009. Wimbley was successful in defending her 2014 gold medal in the same event. Senior Christian Cook earned a gold medal in the men’s 60m hurdles, running a personal-best time of 7.79 seconds that ranks third in UM history. The Canes claimed the ACC Championship men’s 60-meter hurdles gold medal for the fifth time in seven seasons.

MEN’S TENNIS

The Hurricanes men’s tennis doubleheader versus Bethune-Cookman has been canceled due to rainy conditions at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center Saturday. The match will be rescheduled at a later date. In the first match, the Canes won the doubles point over the Wildcats, but then the game was stopped for rain. Miami hosts George Washington  at 2 p.m. Friday and will kick off ACC competition  against Georgia Tech at 12 p.m. Sunday.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...