Athletics, Baseball, Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 2/3

GOLF

The Hurricanes women’s golf team will host the 2015 Hurricane Invitational this week at the par-71 Biltmore Golf Course. The three-day event begins Monday. Sophomore Daniela Darquea, the defending champion, will lead the Canes’ lineup, which includes Leticia Ras-Anderica, Kailey Walsh, Rika Park and Delfina Acosta. The Canes placed seventh at the 2015 UCF Challenge back on Feb. 10, during their last competition. The competing teams include Daytona State, East Carolina, Campbell, Iowa State, Illinois, Kennesaw State, Louisville, Michigan, Middle Tennessee State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Florida and Miami.

TRACK AND FIELD

The 2015 ACC Indoor Championships proved successful for the Hurricanes as they walked away with a pair of gold medal performances. Sophomore sprinter Shakima Wimbley won gold in the women’s 200m, with a personal-best time of 23.08 that ranks third in UM history. She scored her second medal of the day and broke the previous ACC Indoor Championships mark of 23.16 set by Miami’s Murielle Ahoure in 2009. Wimbley was successful in defending her 2014 gold medal in the same event. Senior Christian Cook earned a gold medal in the men’s 60m hurdles, running a personal-best time of 7.79 seconds that ranks third in UM history. The Canes claimed the ACC Championship men’s 60-meter hurdles gold medal for the fifth time in seven seasons.

MEN’S TENNIS

The Hurricanes men’s tennis doubleheader versus Bethune-Cookman has been canceled due to rainy conditions at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center Saturday. The match will be rescheduled at a later date. In the first match, the Canes won the doubles point over the Wildcats, but then the game was stopped for rain. Miami hosts George Washington  at 2 p.m. Friday and will kick off ACC competition  against Georgia Tech at 12 p.m. Sunday.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...