Athletics, Baseball, Cross Country/Track and Field, Sports

Sports Briefs 2/3

GOLF

The Hurricanes women’s golf team will host the 2015 Hurricane Invitational this week at the par-71 Biltmore Golf Course. The three-day event begins Monday. Sophomore Daniela Darquea, the defending champion, will lead the Canes’ lineup, which includes Leticia Ras-Anderica, Kailey Walsh, Rika Park and Delfina Acosta. The Canes placed seventh at the 2015 UCF Challenge back on Feb. 10, during their last competition. The competing teams include Daytona State, East Carolina, Campbell, Iowa State, Illinois, Kennesaw State, Louisville, Michigan, Middle Tennessee State, Minnesota, Northwestern, Ole Miss, Penn State, Purdue, South Florida and Miami.

TRACK AND FIELD

The 2015 ACC Indoor Championships proved successful for the Hurricanes as they walked away with a pair of gold medal performances. Sophomore sprinter Shakima Wimbley won gold in the women’s 200m, with a personal-best time of 23.08 that ranks third in UM history. She scored her second medal of the day and broke the previous ACC Indoor Championships mark of 23.16 set by Miami’s Murielle Ahoure in 2009. Wimbley was successful in defending her 2014 gold medal in the same event. Senior Christian Cook earned a gold medal in the men’s 60m hurdles, running a personal-best time of 7.79 seconds that ranks third in UM history. The Canes claimed the ACC Championship men’s 60-meter hurdles gold medal for the fifth time in seven seasons.

MEN’S TENNIS

The Hurricanes men’s tennis doubleheader versus Bethune-Cookman has been canceled due to rainy conditions at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center Saturday. The match will be rescheduled at a later date. In the first match, the Canes won the doubles point over the Wildcats, but then the game was stopped for rain. Miami hosts George Washington  at 2 p.m. Friday and will kick off ACC competition  against Georgia Tech at 12 p.m. Sunday.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...