Opinion, The Maturity Column

O-Cheer’s uneven distribution of intensity

Anytime an event has vuvuzelas, you know it’s gonna get rowdy.

I have never rushed a fraternity, so when I strolled over to the UC patio for Greek Week’s O-Cheer, I had no idea what to expect – except for scores of selfies.

Apparently, every year, a big, fat wad of Greek organizations gather around a stage and compete with scripted performances filled with dances, sketch comedies and spandex.

Fraternities and sororities are grouped together and divided by color, so the entire patio looks like a Crayola 64-pack of lettered shirts lacking sleeves.

However, as I observed the dense sea of students (think Chipotle at rush hour), one thing I immediately noticed was the disparity in mentality between the frats and sors.

As I descended the steps and almost kicked over a beer, a lost, stumbling frat-star with a cigarette and a backwards hat leaned over to me and asked, “Have you seen the yellow team?” I was surprised he presumed I aligned with Greek life, considering that I was wearing a suit – and most of the guys there were actually just wearing body paint.

Meanwhile, the majority of the female organizations were sporting intense expressions and practicing the most crucial and intricate parts of their routines.

“I had to audition to get to dance,” a sorority sister said. “Only one guy from the frat we were paired with even showed up to our practices.”

Frankly, this confused me. I was not expecting a lackadaisical approach to an event that could allow fraternities to prove they were kings of the castle. Or maybe I just didn’t understand.

“My frat just doesn’t need to practice,” said one tall, quite loud individual. “We’re the kind of guys that just show up to have fun and still win anyway.” I had a feeling that was also his approach to leg day.

And though they were mostly just goofing around the outskirts of the area, the frat stars did leave me with some new insights on life. For example, men can now wear tie-dye.

Also, men are content with sporting a tank that doesn’t cover their man boobs. Oh, and apparently not only do cowboys wear plaid, but they also can perform step. Where else could I have gathered such crucial cultural fundamentals? Thanks, college.

Regardless, O-Cheer is an event centered on raising awareness and money for cerebral palsy, so I respect their efforts.

My own two cents: if the sororities are looking to boost the morale and motivate the frats to participate with further intensity, maybe they should just change next year’s event to O-Beer.

Danny New is a sophomore majoring in broadcast journalism. “The Maturity Column” runs each Monday.

Danny New

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...