News Briefs 3/2

Students camped out Friday night on the Larrañaga Lawn in preparation for the final men's basketball team's home game. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Alex McGuire sets up his tent to camp out on the Larrañaga Lawn Friday night. Students who camped out gained priority access to the final men’s basketball team’s home game on Saturday afternoon. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Fashion Poet

Miami’s top fashion blogger, Annie Vazquez, will be joining the Media Management Association to talk about how she dominated the online blog scene. Her blog, “The Fashion Poet,” has been featured in Vogue, Marie Claire and the TODAY show. The event is free for all students and snacks will be provided at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 3 in Communication International Building (CIB) 2055.

Orientation

Orientation Fellows assist new students and families during Orientation to learn about resources and campus and to become a part of the UM community. Students interested in getting involved can apply at tinyurl.com/UMOFapp until noon Friday, March 6.

Safe Spring Break

Students who post pictures practicing safe spring break tips on social media using #UMSSB15 will be entered to win a $100 gift card to the UM Bookstore. For more information on how to have a safe spring break, visit miami.edu/safespringbreak.

Honor Council

The Honor Council is a body of 29 undergraduate students accepting applications to be part of a group of students dedicated to upholding the Honor Code and educating the student body about academic integrity. The council investigates cases and assesses the appropriate penalties for students who violate the Honor Code. Applications can be found on tinyurl.com/HonorCouncil2015 and are due at 5 p.m. on Friday, March 6. For more information contact Rahul Sheth at r.sheth@umiami.edu.

Greek Week Winners

Greek Week came to a close Saturday.  The orange team – Delta Phi Epsilon, Alpha Sigma Phi and Zeta Beta Tau – took first place, second place went to the purple team – Alpha Delta Pi, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Phi Mu Alpha– and the red team – Zeta Tau Alpha, Kappa Sigma and Delta Lambda Phi – came in third place.

The week’s events raised more than $35,000 for United Cerebral Palsy of South Florida. Last year’s Greek Week raised more than $30,000. 

Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...