News Briefs 3/2

Students camped out Friday night on the Larrañaga Lawn in preparation for the final men's basketball team's home game. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Alex McGuire sets up his tent to camp out on the Larrañaga Lawn Friday night. Students who camped out gained priority access to the final men’s basketball team’s home game on Saturday afternoon. Victoria McKaba // Staff Photographer

Fashion Poet

Miami’s top fashion blogger, Annie Vazquez, will be joining the Media Management Association to talk about how she dominated the online blog scene. Her blog, “The Fashion Poet,” has been featured in Vogue, Marie Claire and the TODAY show. The event is free for all students and snacks will be provided at 6:30 p.m. on Thursday, March 3 in Communication International Building (CIB) 2055.

Orientation

Orientation Fellows assist new students and families during Orientation to learn about resources and campus and to become a part of the UM community. Students interested in getting involved can apply at tinyurl.com/UMOFapp until noon Friday, March 6.

Safe Spring Break

Students who post pictures practicing safe spring break tips on social media using #UMSSB15 will be entered to win a $100 gift card to the UM Bookstore. For more information on how to have a safe spring break, visit miami.edu/safespringbreak.

Honor Council

The Honor Council is a body of 29 undergraduate students accepting applications to be part of a group of students dedicated to upholding the Honor Code and educating the student body about academic integrity. The council investigates cases and assesses the appropriate penalties for students who violate the Honor Code. Applications can be found on tinyurl.com/HonorCouncil2015 and are due at 5 p.m. on Friday, March 6. For more information contact Rahul Sheth at r.sheth@umiami.edu.

Greek Week Winners

Greek Week came to a close Saturday.  The orange team – Delta Phi Epsilon, Alpha Sigma Phi and Zeta Beta Tau – took first place, second place went to the purple team – Alpha Delta Pi, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Phi Mu Alpha– and the red team – Zeta Tau Alpha, Kappa Sigma and Delta Lambda Phi – came in third place.

The week’s events raised more than $35,000 for United Cerebral Palsy of South Florida. Last year’s Greek Week raised more than $30,000. 

Alina Zerpa may be contacted at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The losses keep coming for Miami Hurricanes football and Mark Richt. And this feels like the biggest ...

The University of Miami is on the verge of losing the architect of one of the nation’s best defenses ...

The postseason acknowledgments continue to roll in for Gerald Willis. The Miami Hurricanes defensive ...

It is recruiting season in college football, and the Miami Hurricanes have one particular commitment ...

The early signing period is right around the corner and the Miami Hurricanes have plenty of work to ...

UM public relations students unveiled their plans to reposition March for Our Lives to attract colle ...

The answer to that question may impact what happens to the European Union. ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

The Miami women's basketball team ascended one position in each of the major national polls thi ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...