V's Take

Dear V: Scared of a screenshot share

A few weeks ago, I exchanged numbers with a guy from class. Between phone calls, texting, Snapchat and Facebook, it’s almost as if he’s more of a pen pal than a real person who’s interested in me. My friends are annoyed that I’m texting him all the time, but I’m afraid to stop, even though I know this is going nowhere. The problem is, a few days ago, our conversation got a little steamy. I Snapped him some nude pictures that were just for him, but I got a notification that he took screenshots! I’m afraid to stop talking to him, in fear that he’ll get angry and send the pictures to my friends. I would be humiliated. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Candid Camera

Dear Candid Camera,

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and honey, those are a thousand words you can never take back. You’re not Kim Kardashian on the cover of Papermag, blowing up the internet with her bodacious booty, so stop kidding yourself. You’re a college student who has made a mistake.

I shouldn’t have to say it, but do not send pictures of yourself that you wouldn’t show to your own mother. I understand what you’re feeling in the “heat of the moment” – believe me, I’ve been on the receiving end of more than a few sultry shots myself – but that excuse won’t stop you from being mortified when you see your own naked rump plastered all over the Internet.

With all these nudes, sexts, booty calls and Snaps, the only person you can count on to have your back is yourself. We live in a world where information can be instantly accessed 24/7, and if you give somebody the power of owning a piece of you; you can’t ask for it back.

My only advice is to learn from this social media fiasco and never send R-rated pictures again. Of course, if you’ve got a few scandalous bits that might make your guy shake in his boots if they were to come out, you could threaten to do the same to him if he were to ever leak your precious nudes. Then again, do you really want to be the girl behind “#NudeGate?”

Learn from this, and keep the nudity in the bedroom. No need to get screens, apps, texts, or messages involved. If you keep it that way, it will be more special for you and the lucky guy who gets to see you – three-dimensional you, of course.

Advice Columnist

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...