V's Take

Dear V: Scared of a screenshot share

A few weeks ago, I exchanged numbers with a guy from class. Between phone calls, texting, Snapchat and Facebook, it’s almost as if he’s more of a pen pal than a real person who’s interested in me. My friends are annoyed that I’m texting him all the time, but I’m afraid to stop, even though I know this is going nowhere. The problem is, a few days ago, our conversation got a little steamy. I Snapped him some nude pictures that were just for him, but I got a notification that he took screenshots! I’m afraid to stop talking to him, in fear that he’ll get angry and send the pictures to my friends. I would be humiliated. What should I do?

Sincerely,

Candid Camera

Dear Candid Camera,

They say a picture is worth a thousand words, and honey, those are a thousand words you can never take back. You’re not Kim Kardashian on the cover of Papermag, blowing up the internet with her bodacious booty, so stop kidding yourself. You’re a college student who has made a mistake.

I shouldn’t have to say it, but do not send pictures of yourself that you wouldn’t show to your own mother. I understand what you’re feeling in the “heat of the moment” – believe me, I’ve been on the receiving end of more than a few sultry shots myself – but that excuse won’t stop you from being mortified when you see your own naked rump plastered all over the Internet.

With all these nudes, sexts, booty calls and Snaps, the only person you can count on to have your back is yourself. We live in a world where information can be instantly accessed 24/7, and if you give somebody the power of owning a piece of you; you can’t ask for it back.

My only advice is to learn from this social media fiasco and never send R-rated pictures again. Of course, if you’ve got a few scandalous bits that might make your guy shake in his boots if they were to come out, you could threaten to do the same to him if he were to ever leak your precious nudes. Then again, do you really want to be the girl behind “#NudeGate?”

Learn from this, and keep the nudity in the bedroom. No need to get screens, apps, texts, or messages involved. If you keep it that way, it will be more special for you and the lucky guy who gets to see you – three-dimensional you, of course.

Advice Columnist

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...