New projects should be better prioritized

By now, many students have heard of the two bridges planned for construction on campus one that will span from the Eaton parking lot to the University Center (UC) patio, and the other to be in front of the Wellness Center.

Creating these bridges on campus is not an optimal use of the university’s time or money. The on-campus bridge construction will shift focus permanently off of the more important U.S. 1 bridge and obstruct the view of our beautiful lake, and the marginal gain of efficiency will not justify the costs.

The university needs to prioritize its focus.

Years earlier, there was talk of constructing another bridge near the University Metrorail station to help students cross the dangerous U.S. 1 more safely. On-campus bridges detract from the effort and time needed to pressure the city to build a bridge over the highway.

This path would actually save lives rather than just be used for functionality or beautification. While this structure is the city’s responsibility, the university should focus on pressuring the city to begin construction. UM is responsible for the total well-being of its students, which includes safety in the surrounding areas of the campus.

Since 1989, eight UM students have been struck trying to cross U.S. 1 to get to the retail spots at the center. Three of these students were killed. Convincing the city to build this bridge took years of lobbying, and it was said to be ready at the earliest, spring 2015. While all construction incurs delays, it has not even begun on a bridge that was supposed to be finished by now.

Beautification and convenience compared to a life-saving and safety project which sounds more important to you?

Furthermore, building a bridge over the lake will obstruct the view. Functionality aside, the lake is central to the beauty of our campus.

Constructing a bridge over the lake will require workers and equipment to surround the lake for at least some portion of the fall semester. The finished bridge will also permanently block our beautiful view of the entire lake as we walk along.

If the purpose of the bridge is functionality, months of construction in the area will be making students’ commutes more difficult​ and decrease their experience.

How difficult is it really to walk around the lake? With all the problems in the world, an extra two-minute commute and calories burned should not merit the large amount of capital spent on constructing these bridges.

College students are sedentary enough with their hours of studying, and the walk around the lake to reach their destinations provides a few moments of calm and respite in their overworked brains and jam-packed schedules.

In comparison to the lives saved from a bridge over the highway, an extra two-minute commute does not merit the building of two bridges.

This construction actually detracts from UM’s beauty and daily experience, during which students can have a moment of peace to overlook the beauty of the lake.

Alyssa Jacobson is a senior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...