New projects should be better prioritized

By now, many students have heard of the two bridges planned for construction on campus one that will span from the Eaton parking lot to the University Center (UC) patio, and the other to be in front of the Wellness Center.

Creating these bridges on campus is not an optimal use of the university’s time or money. The on-campus bridge construction will shift focus permanently off of the more important U.S. 1 bridge and obstruct the view of our beautiful lake, and the marginal gain of efficiency will not justify the costs.

The university needs to prioritize its focus.

Years earlier, there was talk of constructing another bridge near the University Metrorail station to help students cross the dangerous U.S. 1 more safely. On-campus bridges detract from the effort and time needed to pressure the city to build a bridge over the highway.

This path would actually save lives rather than just be used for functionality or beautification. While this structure is the city’s responsibility, the university should focus on pressuring the city to begin construction. UM is responsible for the total well-being of its students, which includes safety in the surrounding areas of the campus.

Since 1989, eight UM students have been struck trying to cross U.S. 1 to get to the retail spots at the center. Three of these students were killed. Convincing the city to build this bridge took years of lobbying, and it was said to be ready at the earliest, spring 2015. While all construction incurs delays, it has not even begun on a bridge that was supposed to be finished by now.

Beautification and convenience compared to a life-saving and safety project which sounds more important to you?

Furthermore, building a bridge over the lake will obstruct the view. Functionality aside, the lake is central to the beauty of our campus.

Constructing a bridge over the lake will require workers and equipment to surround the lake for at least some portion of the fall semester. The finished bridge will also permanently block our beautiful view of the entire lake as we walk along.

If the purpose of the bridge is functionality, months of construction in the area will be making students’ commutes more difficult​ and decrease their experience.

How difficult is it really to walk around the lake? With all the problems in the world, an extra two-minute commute and calories burned should not merit the large amount of capital spent on constructing these bridges.

College students are sedentary enough with their hours of studying, and the walk around the lake to reach their destinations provides a few moments of calm and respite in their overworked brains and jam-packed schedules.

In comparison to the lives saved from a bridge over the highway, an extra two-minute commute does not merit the building of two bridges.

This construction actually detracts from UM’s beauty and daily experience, during which students can have a moment of peace to overlook the beauty of the lake.

Alyssa Jacobson is a senior majoring in advertising and political science.

Alyssa Jacobson

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...