Basketball, Sports

Anticipation high for final Miami home game against North Carolina

After staving off a ferocious comeback against Florida State, the Miami Hurricanes men’s basketball team plays host to the No. 15 North Carolina Tar Heels Saturday afternoon, in a game that could decide Miami’s tournament hopes.

In anticipation of the game, UM students even camped outside of the BankUnited Center Friday night to cheer on the Canes during their 2 p.m. match. The game is being nationally televised on CBS.

To reach the NCAA tournament, head coach Jim Larrañaga has previously said the Hurricanes need a ratings percentage index (RPI) in the top 40. They currently rank 65th.

The matchup against UNC (19-9, 9-6 ACC) will provide the Hurricanes with the last opportunity to boost their RPI. Miami’s remaining games after UNC are against ACC bottom-feeders Georgia Tech, who beat Miami this season, and Virginia Tech.

Team captain Angel Rodriguez may have finally broken out of his prolonged slump after visiting with sports psychologist Bob Rotella. Rotella is a renowned psychologist and is currently with the undefeated Kentucky Wildcats basketball team.

“He was trying to make me think positive, giving me reminders of how things used to be with me early in the season, when I was playing more for fun before the expectations got higher,” Rodriguez said.

Whatever Rotella told Rodriguez, it seemed to work. Rodriguez finished the game against FSU with 25 points, one of his best performances of the season.

“Rotella is a miracle worker when it comes to getting people to think correctly,” Larrañaga said.

Interestingly, Miami has won four straight games against the perennial power.

The game against the Tar Heels is also senior night for Joe Thomas, a graduate transfer student, as well as for six student managers. ​

AJ Ricketts

Boston College star Ky Bowman came down with a 102-degree fever on Saturday night. Jordan Chatman an ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Sunday: ▪ New UM defensive coordinator Blake Baker has asked UM ...

Emese Hof and No. 20 Miami think they can play with anyone, and it shows. Hof scored 18 of her 25 po ...

New University of Miami baseball head coach Gino DiMare wanted to start strong. He got perfection. T ...

Former University of Miami star running back Mark Walton was arrested late Friday on a charge of mis ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

A matchmaker extraordinaire, Ricardo Cepeda, the manager of the UM Zebrafish Facility, is passionate ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The Hurricanes dropped a tight contest with the Eagles in Chestnut Hill, 64-57. ...

The sophomore first baseman slugged his second homer of the weekend to lead the Canes to a series wi ...

Junior Renate Grimstad led the way for Miami and is tied for 18th at one-over-par, while sophomore K ...