Campus Life, News

Orange Festival to celebrate campus tradition

Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The third annual University of Miami Orange Festival, which celebrates the university’s history and traditions, will he held Friday.

The festival will run from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. in the Student Activities Center. The entire festival will be covered in the color orange – hence the name.

“We’re going all out with it,” said Holly Bensur, marketing chair of the Orange Festival. “Orange soda, balloons, decorations – we even turned the fountains orange.”

The first UM Orange Festival was held in the spring of 2013 after two former students, Jonny Diaz and Melissa Guller, felt they saw a lack of spirit on campus during the spring semester.

The founders of Orange Festival wanted to create an event similar to homecoming to celebrate a love of school spirit. To make the event possible, they recruited fellow students Seth Furman, Michaela Hennessy, Doug Aguililla and Monica Metcalf to help plan the university’s first ever Orange Festival.

“Attendance has been growing steadily since that first year,” Bensur said. “We’ve gotten more sponsor, donations, volunteers, booths, shirts and food than ever before.”

This year, there will be eight organizations participating in the event and teaching students about history and traditions at the U. Each organization will set up its own booth for students to visit.

Students who visit every booth will receive a free Orange Festival T-shirt and food.

Haynes Stephens

Freshman quarterback Jarren Williams, who returned to practice Wednesday after missing most of Tuesd ...

Corey Gaynor is working hard to solidify his spot as backup center to UM senior standout Tyler Gauth ...

Former University of Miami football and NFL star player Jonathan Vilma made a splash in South Florid ...

University of Miami tailback/fullback Trayone Gray, a popular fifth-year senior out of Miami Carol C ...

When Mother’s Day came around back in May, Keontra Smith knew it was time to unveil his college comm ...

Conquer common back to school challenges with an expert's guide for parents and children. ...

Unique camp supports children whose parents have cancer. ...

New study shows that discriminating against workers with tattoos puts hiring managers at a competiti ...

Bill Clinton convenes the second summit of his CGI Action Network on Post-Disaster Recovery at UM. ...

A UM researcher has determined that children exposed to traumatic events exhibit pains that if left ...

The Canes defense is full of big names like Shaq Quarterman and Jaquan Johnson, but these players ha ...

Quick Hits gives University of Miami volleyball fans an inside scoop on the latest additions to the ...

Head coach Mark Richt, all 10 assistant coaches and more than 50 players met with the media at the N ...

The Miami Hurricanes were under the lights at Hard Rock Stadium Saturday, closing out the opening we ...

The University of Miami volleyball program reported for training on Tuesday, officially beginning pr ...