Campus Life, News

Orange Festival to celebrate campus tradition

Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The third annual University of Miami Orange Festival, which celebrates the university’s history and traditions, will he held Friday.

The festival will run from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. in the Student Activities Center. The entire festival will be covered in the color orange – hence the name.

“We’re going all out with it,” said Holly Bensur, marketing chair of the Orange Festival. “Orange soda, balloons, decorations – we even turned the fountains orange.”

The first UM Orange Festival was held in the spring of 2013 after two former students, Jonny Diaz and Melissa Guller, felt they saw a lack of spirit on campus during the spring semester.

The founders of Orange Festival wanted to create an event similar to homecoming to celebrate a love of school spirit. To make the event possible, they recruited fellow students Seth Furman, Michaela Hennessy, Doug Aguililla and Monica Metcalf to help plan the university’s first ever Orange Festival.

“Attendance has been growing steadily since that first year,” Bensur said. “We’ve gotten more sponsor, donations, volunteers, booths, shirts and food than ever before.”

This year, there will be eight organizations participating in the event and teaching students about history and traditions at the U. Each organization will set up its own booth for students to visit.

Students who visit every booth will receive a free Orange Festival T-shirt and food.

Haynes Stephens

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...