Campus Life, News

Orange Festival to celebrate campus tradition

Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

Giancarlo Falconi // Staff Photographer

The third annual University of Miami Orange Festival, which celebrates the university’s history and traditions, will he held Friday.

The festival will run from 11 a.m. until 3 p.m. in the Student Activities Center. The entire festival will be covered in the color orange – hence the name.

“We’re going all out with it,” said Holly Bensur, marketing chair of the Orange Festival. “Orange soda, balloons, decorations – we even turned the fountains orange.”

The first UM Orange Festival was held in the spring of 2013 after two former students, Jonny Diaz and Melissa Guller, felt they saw a lack of spirit on campus during the spring semester.

The founders of Orange Festival wanted to create an event similar to homecoming to celebrate a love of school spirit. To make the event possible, they recruited fellow students Seth Furman, Michaela Hennessy, Doug Aguililla and Monica Metcalf to help plan the university’s first ever Orange Festival.

“Attendance has been growing steadily since that first year,” Bensur said. “We’ve gotten more sponsor, donations, volunteers, booths, shirts and food than ever before.”

This year, there will be eight organizations participating in the event and teaching students about history and traditions at the U. Each organization will set up its own booth for students to visit.

Students who visit every booth will receive a free Orange Festival T-shirt and food.

Haynes Stephens

It was maybe coincidence, but positioned just behind his left shoulder as Tyrique Stevenson spoke ab ...

The Miami Hurricanes unveiled a new turnover chain this season, replacing the bedazzled “U” that han ...

Before now, the last time the Miami Hurricanes scored 21 or fewer points in four consecutive games w ...

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

Miami wraps up its season-opening homestand with a 2 p.m. Saturday matchup against Bethune-Cookman a ...

University of Miami head golf coach Patti Rizzo announced Thursday the signing of three golfers to N ...