Edge, Movies

Best, worst movies of Will Smith

Rapper-turned-actor Will Smith has starred in more than 20 films and TV series. This weekend will be the premier of his latest film, “Focus.” In honor of Friday’s release, here’s a list of Smith’s top five best and worst movies in a completely subjective list that will probably offend someone.

Best

• “Men in Black”
    • “Men in Black” allowed Smith to work at his comedic best by pairing him with straight-faced Tommy Lee Jones. It’s an iconic movie, part of nearly every millennial’s childhood.
  • “Hitch”
    • Without the right actor, this would be just another cliché rom-com, but Smith brings ample charisma to make the movie great for repeat watching.
  • “I Am Legend”
    • It’s a testament to Smith’s acting that he can be the only character for the majority of the movie and still be enjoyable, but we all know the real star was the German Shepherd.
  • “Independence Day”
    • Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum save the world from aliens on the Fourth of July. If you don’t like this movie, you’re not a true American.
  • “The Pursuit of Happiness”
    • Heartfelt without being sappy, Smith inspires audiences to root for him to succeed rather than pity him.

Worst

• “After Earth”
    • Having your son in your movie is cool if he’s cute and tiny. An angsty teenager is less enjoyable to watch.
  • “Seven Pounds”
    • Smith’s character is a terrible person. He accidentally kills seven people, commits identity theft and arbitrarily determines who is “worthy” of an organ transplant. He then lets a girl fall in love with him fully knowing he’s going to commit suicide soon. Also, jellyfish? Really?
  • “Wild Wild West”
    • In hindsight, combining steampunk and western probably wasn’t a good idea. Neither was rapping the title song to the movie.
  • “Shark Tale”
    • If you haven’t seen this movie, just imagine a less enjoyable and less heartfelt version of “Finding Nemo.”
  • “Bad Boys II”
    • After watching this movie at least five times, it still seems uncertain if there’s an actual plot or it’s just a series of increasingly larger explosions

Featured image courtesy Flickr user TRF_Mr_Hyde

Robert Pinney

The Miami Hurricanes returned to the football field Tuesday, their first spring at the Carol Soffer ...

So much for the suspense of Selection Monday. The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t ...

The University of Miami women’s basketball team didn’t have to wait until Monday night’s Selection S ...

Nearly three months have passed since we last saw the Miami Hurricanes perform on a football field, ...

Manny Diaz begins his first spring practice as UM’s head football coach on Tuesday, and nobody — not ...

Watch a video about the Annual Senior Showcase involving students in the Theatre Arts Program. ...

Become one in a million. Join the All of Us research program. ...

With Florida lifting the ban on smokable medical marijuana, the nursing school’s Denise Vidot answer ...

Three School of Architecture students recount their first day in Switzerland, and some of the archit ...

In the aftermath of the powerful tornado that devastated a rural Alabama community, a UM storm exper ...

The Miami women's basketball team received a No. 4-seed in the NCAA Tournament and will host th ...

The Canes return home for a week, beginning a five-game homestand with a midweek series against Colu ...

The University of Miami women's track and field program rank eighth in the preseason edition of ...

New Hurricanes wide receiver K.J. Osborn was swayed by what he saw on his television set in early Ja ...

Images from the No. 27 Miami women's tennis team's 5-2 triumph over No. 42 Notre Dame at t ...