Edge, Movies

Best, worst movies of Will Smith

Rapper-turned-actor Will Smith has starred in more than 20 films and TV series. This weekend will be the premier of his latest film, “Focus.” In honor of Friday’s release, here’s a list of Smith’s top five best and worst movies in a completely subjective list that will probably offend someone.

Best

• “Men in Black”
    • “Men in Black” allowed Smith to work at his comedic best by pairing him with straight-faced Tommy Lee Jones. It’s an iconic movie, part of nearly every millennial’s childhood.
  • “Hitch”
    • Without the right actor, this would be just another cliché rom-com, but Smith brings ample charisma to make the movie great for repeat watching.
  • “I Am Legend”
    • It’s a testament to Smith’s acting that he can be the only character for the majority of the movie and still be enjoyable, but we all know the real star was the German Shepherd.
  • “Independence Day”
    • Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum save the world from aliens on the Fourth of July. If you don’t like this movie, you’re not a true American.
  • “The Pursuit of Happiness”
    • Heartfelt without being sappy, Smith inspires audiences to root for him to succeed rather than pity him.

Worst

• “After Earth”
    • Having your son in your movie is cool if he’s cute and tiny. An angsty teenager is less enjoyable to watch.
  • “Seven Pounds”
    • Smith’s character is a terrible person. He accidentally kills seven people, commits identity theft and arbitrarily determines who is “worthy” of an organ transplant. He then lets a girl fall in love with him fully knowing he’s going to commit suicide soon. Also, jellyfish? Really?
  • “Wild Wild West”
    • In hindsight, combining steampunk and western probably wasn’t a good idea. Neither was rapping the title song to the movie.
  • “Shark Tale”
    • If you haven’t seen this movie, just imagine a less enjoyable and less heartfelt version of “Finding Nemo.”
  • “Bad Boys II”
    • After watching this movie at least five times, it still seems uncertain if there’s an actual plot or it’s just a series of increasingly larger explosions

Featured image courtesy Flickr user TRF_Mr_Hyde

Robert Pinney

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...