Edge, Movies

Best, worst movies of Will Smith

Rapper-turned-actor Will Smith has starred in more than 20 films and TV series. This weekend will be the premier of his latest film, “Focus.” In honor of Friday’s release, here’s a list of Smith’s top five best and worst movies in a completely subjective list that will probably offend someone.

Best

• “Men in Black”
    • “Men in Black” allowed Smith to work at his comedic best by pairing him with straight-faced Tommy Lee Jones. It’s an iconic movie, part of nearly every millennial’s childhood.
  • “Hitch”
    • Without the right actor, this would be just another cliché rom-com, but Smith brings ample charisma to make the movie great for repeat watching.
  • “I Am Legend”
    • It’s a testament to Smith’s acting that he can be the only character for the majority of the movie and still be enjoyable, but we all know the real star was the German Shepherd.
  • “Independence Day”
    • Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum save the world from aliens on the Fourth of July. If you don’t like this movie, you’re not a true American.
  • “The Pursuit of Happiness”
    • Heartfelt without being sappy, Smith inspires audiences to root for him to succeed rather than pity him.

Worst

• “After Earth”
    • Having your son in your movie is cool if he’s cute and tiny. An angsty teenager is less enjoyable to watch.
  • “Seven Pounds”
    • Smith’s character is a terrible person. He accidentally kills seven people, commits identity theft and arbitrarily determines who is “worthy” of an organ transplant. He then lets a girl fall in love with him fully knowing he’s going to commit suicide soon. Also, jellyfish? Really?
  • “Wild Wild West”
    • In hindsight, combining steampunk and western probably wasn’t a good idea. Neither was rapping the title song to the movie.
  • “Shark Tale”
    • If you haven’t seen this movie, just imagine a less enjoyable and less heartfelt version of “Finding Nemo.”
  • “Bad Boys II”
    • After watching this movie at least five times, it still seems uncertain if there’s an actual plot or it’s just a series of increasingly larger explosions

Featured image courtesy Flickr user TRF_Mr_Hyde

Robert Pinney

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...