Edge, Movies

Best, worst movies of Will Smith

Rapper-turned-actor Will Smith has starred in more than 20 films and TV series. This weekend will be the premier of his latest film, “Focus.” In honor of Friday’s release, here’s a list of Smith’s top five best and worst movies in a completely subjective list that will probably offend someone.

Best

• “Men in Black”
    • “Men in Black” allowed Smith to work at his comedic best by pairing him with straight-faced Tommy Lee Jones. It’s an iconic movie, part of nearly every millennial’s childhood.
  • “Hitch”
    • Without the right actor, this would be just another cliché rom-com, but Smith brings ample charisma to make the movie great for repeat watching.
  • “I Am Legend”
    • It’s a testament to Smith’s acting that he can be the only character for the majority of the movie and still be enjoyable, but we all know the real star was the German Shepherd.
  • “Independence Day”
    • Will Smith and Jeff Goldblum save the world from aliens on the Fourth of July. If you don’t like this movie, you’re not a true American.
  • “The Pursuit of Happiness”
    • Heartfelt without being sappy, Smith inspires audiences to root for him to succeed rather than pity him.

Worst

• “After Earth”
    • Having your son in your movie is cool if he’s cute and tiny. An angsty teenager is less enjoyable to watch.
  • “Seven Pounds”
    • Smith’s character is a terrible person. He accidentally kills seven people, commits identity theft and arbitrarily determines who is “worthy” of an organ transplant. He then lets a girl fall in love with him fully knowing he’s going to commit suicide soon. Also, jellyfish? Really?
  • “Wild Wild West”
    • In hindsight, combining steampunk and western probably wasn’t a good idea. Neither was rapping the title song to the movie.
  • “Shark Tale”
    • If you haven’t seen this movie, just imagine a less enjoyable and less heartfelt version of “Finding Nemo.”
  • “Bad Boys II”
    • After watching this movie at least five times, it still seems uncertain if there’s an actual plot or it’s just a series of increasingly larger explosions

Featured image courtesy Flickr user TRF_Mr_Hyde

Robert Pinney

The Marlins — along with a handful of other teams — haven’t signed a single player from another team ...

The 2019 Miami Hurricanes coaching staff is now in place and ready to rumble. Though the Hurricanes ...

The last time Tyree St. Louis played something other than tackle, by coincidence, was the last time ...

Manny Diaz might as well have been the head of the National Weather Service on Tuesday. At 7:27 p.m. ...

Even after landing Ohio State transfer Tate Martell, the Hurricanes aren’t done looking for quarterb ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

The Miami women's basketball team earned its first victory at Cameron Indoor Stadium with a 58- ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team will play its first dual match of the 2019 campaign Friday ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will open the 2019 dual season when it faces Stetson ...