Referendum passes for on-campus research magazine

The Scientifica Magazine referendum on the ballot during Student Government (SG) elections earlier this month has now been passed after a prior disqualification decision was overturned.

The referendum asked for a $1 increase to the student activities fee to cover printing costs for Scientifica, the University of Miami’s first undergraduate research magazine.

SEE ALSO: ‘For U’ ticket elected to serve as next Student Government executive board

It was originally disqualified because Scientifica Magazine’s leadership had not turned in required forms by the deadline.

The decision was made to pass the referendum after the SG Supreme Court and Elections Commission felt that “Section 4-2 of the Election Codes does not explicitly provide a deadline for when a Referendum Campaign should notify the Elections Commission that no money was spent on the campaign.”

As a result, the referendum has been passed because the majority of votes cast were in its favor.

Emily Dabau

Tufaan, the University of Miami’s South Asian a cappella group, needs the community’s help to advanc

Dr. Brandon Chatani, a Miller School of Medicine infectious disease specialist, offers advice on way

With the federal Endangered Species Act in danger, University of Miami researchers find that state p

An online exhibit spotlights the talents of two University of Miami incoming Master of Fine Arts gra

Casey Klofstad, political science professor, explains why and how voters should pay attention to pol