Referendum passes for on-campus research magazine

The Scientifica Magazine referendum on the ballot during Student Government (SG) elections earlier this month has now been passed after a prior disqualification decision was overturned.

The referendum asked for a $1 increase to the student activities fee to cover printing costs for Scientifica, the University of Miami’s first undergraduate research magazine.

SEE ALSO: ‘For U’ ticket elected to serve as next Student Government executive board

It was originally disqualified because Scientifica Magazine’s leadership had not turned in required forms by the deadline.

The decision was made to pass the referendum after the SG Supreme Court and Elections Commission felt that “Section 4-2 of the Election Codes does not explicitly provide a deadline for when a Referendum Campaign should notify the Elections Commission that no money was spent on the campaign.”

As a result, the referendum has been passed because the majority of votes cast were in its favor.

Emily Dabau

One of the reasons Manny Diaz overhauled his recruiting department when he took over as UM’s coach i ...

Connor McLaughlin never gave much thought to the Miami Hurricanes when he was younger. Even though h ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ 2020 recruiting class continues to grow. Three-star Deerfield Beach wide recei ...

Chaminade-Madonna in Hollywood has produced some distinguished alums, including ESPN (and Miami Hera ...

Columbus was a popular destination for coaches throughout the first full week of May this spring. On ...

Academics met at the University of Miami to plan the next phase of a study looking at how journalist ...

Former University of Miami student Elio M. Garcia, Jr. and his wife Linda Antonsson discuss their jo ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are using big data to identify affordable housing opportuniti ...

From office furniture to electronics to kitchen items, the University of Miami sells surplus propert ...

Researchers at the University of Miami are studying zebrafish to understand human genetics and ident ...

With the seven-run victory, Miami won its ACC Championship opener for the fifth consecutive season. ...

For the second time in three years, Estela Perez-Somarriba of the University of Miami women's t ...

The Student-Athlete Development department has grown in size and scope and become an integral part o ...

For the second-straight season, Kevin Arreaga of the Miami track and field team secured a spot at na ...

The Bowling Green, Ky., native joins the Hurricanes after spending two seasons at Liberty. ...