Referendum passes for on-campus research magazine

The Scientifica Magazine referendum on the ballot during Student Government (SG) elections earlier this month has now been passed after a prior disqualification decision was overturned.

The referendum asked for a $1 increase to the student activities fee to cover printing costs for Scientifica, the University of Miami’s first undergraduate research magazine.

SEE ALSO: ‘For U’ ticket elected to serve as next Student Government executive board

It was originally disqualified because Scientifica Magazine’s leadership had not turned in required forms by the deadline.

The decision was made to pass the referendum after the SG Supreme Court and Elections Commission felt that “Section 4-2 of the Election Codes does not explicitly provide a deadline for when a Referendum Campaign should notify the Elections Commission that no money was spent on the campaign.”

As a result, the referendum has been passed because the majority of votes cast were in its favor.

Emily Dabau

Pro Football Focus unveiled where Power 5 programs rank in tackles for a loss or no gain against the ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday evening: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt has explained his decisi ...

Braylen Ingraham’s final college visit before decision day took him just about as far from home as p ...

The Miami Hurricanes had traveled half the field to start the second half when coach Mark Richt enco ...

Jeremiah Payton was one of those prospects the Miami Hurricanes coveted from just about the time he ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The University of Miami remembers alumnus Erik Hauri—the man who discovered water on the moon. ...

Through an innovative program, Miami Law students are empowering local high schoolers to think like ...

On a historic afternoon for redshirt senior goalkeeper Phallon Tullis-Joyce, the University of Miami ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The Miami women's tennis team wrapped up competition Sunday at the ITA Southeast Regional Champ ...

On the first day of Main Draw action at the ITA Southeast Regional Championships Presented by Oracle ...

The Miami women's tennis team turned in a strong showing Saturday at the ITA Southeast Regional ...