Baseball, Sports

Miami baseball bounces back with midweek win over Barry

The Miami Hurricanes improved to 6-3 on the short season after a midweek matchup with the nearby Barry University Buccaneers.

After an entertaining top of the 1st with two pickoffs at first base from Danny Garcia, the Hurricanes jumped to a 2-0 lead after one inning, and 5-0 lead after two. The Hurricanes made the bulk of their scoring off the back of free passes and timely hitting.

Three RBI doubles and a bases loaded walk provided four of the five Hurricane runs, with the other being on an RBI groundout. The Hurricanes earned 13 bases on 10 walks and 3 hit-by-pitches.

Barry pitchers struggled with their command all night. Meanwhile, Miami’s Danny Garcia (1-0, 2.70) was tremendous in 7.2 innings of work, allowing just two runs (one earned) on six hits with a career-high nine strikeouts.

Barry’s bullpen kept them in the game as three runs came into score late. Bryan Garcia came in to close it out in the 9th after the first two Buccaneers reached safely.

Miami held on 5-3 and will be entering a weekend series with Wright State back in the win column.

Wright State is led by former Hurricane Greg Lovely, who won two national championships with the Canes in 1999 and 2001 as the catcher.

Featured image Courtesy HurricaneSports

Alex Somer

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...