Baseball, Sports

Miami baseball bounces back with midweek win over Barry

The Miami Hurricanes improved to 6-3 on the short season after a midweek matchup with the nearby Barry University Buccaneers.

After an entertaining top of the 1st with two pickoffs at first base from Danny Garcia, the Hurricanes jumped to a 2-0 lead after one inning, and 5-0 lead after two. The Hurricanes made the bulk of their scoring off the back of free passes and timely hitting.

Three RBI doubles and a bases loaded walk provided four of the five Hurricane runs, with the other being on an RBI groundout. The Hurricanes earned 13 bases on 10 walks and 3 hit-by-pitches.

Barry pitchers struggled with their command all night. Meanwhile, Miami’s Danny Garcia (1-0, 2.70) was tremendous in 7.2 innings of work, allowing just two runs (one earned) on six hits with a career-high nine strikeouts.

Barry’s bullpen kept them in the game as three runs came into score late. Bryan Garcia came in to close it out in the 9th after the first two Buccaneers reached safely.

Miami held on 5-3 and will be entering a weekend series with Wright State back in the win column.

Wright State is led by former Hurricane Greg Lovely, who won two national championships with the Canes in 1999 and 2001 as the catcher.

Featured image Courtesy HurricaneSports

Alex Somer

Universities are banding together to oppose a new immigration policy that could adversely impact int

The University of Miami student publications were recognized with multiple awards by the Society for

Hoping to ease hurdles for students to apply to master’s and doctoral programs, a new policy will re

Immunologist Natasa Strbo and her team are using their work on vaccines for HIV, malaria, and Zika t

Xavier Cortada leads the Miami Corona Project, an art program presented as part of the University of