Frost School musicians offer Sunday sounds at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden

The Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden enchants Coral Gables with 83-acres of sunshine, pathways, bright flowers, and an unknown gem – performances from students at the University of Miami Frost School of Music.

The Frost School has partnered with Fairchild to bring music to community through the Sunday Sounds program, which invites the musicians to take the stage near the Rainforest exhibit, which is considered to be the most popular location for visitors to rest and have lunch. Concerts last about an hour and include a variety of genres.

Melissa Lesniak, director of outreach, and Rhonda Kremer, teaching assistant, direct the proceedings on the campus end. Lesniak explained that students are chosen by Kremer to participate based on availability and preparation.

Lesniak and Kremer coordinate with Brooke LeMaire of Fairchild. LeMaire, a University of Miami alumna, spoke enthusiastically about the project and referred to the Frost students as “[having] so much talent and a diverse range of skills.”

Frost students such as Javier Nero, who performed live on the Lakeside Patio Thursday, will be performing as part of the Sunday Sounds concert on March 7.

Featured image courtesy FunGi_ via Flickr.

Brianna Hernandez

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...