Frost School musicians offer Sunday sounds at Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden

The Fairchild Tropical Botanic Garden enchants Coral Gables with 83-acres of sunshine, pathways, bright flowers, and an unknown gem – performances from students at the University of Miami Frost School of Music.

The Frost School has partnered with Fairchild to bring music to community through the Sunday Sounds program, which invites the musicians to take the stage near the Rainforest exhibit, which is considered to be the most popular location for visitors to rest and have lunch. Concerts last about an hour and include a variety of genres.

Melissa Lesniak, director of outreach, and Rhonda Kremer, teaching assistant, direct the proceedings on the campus end. Lesniak explained that students are chosen by Kremer to participate based on availability and preparation.

Lesniak and Kremer coordinate with Brooke LeMaire of Fairchild. LeMaire, a University of Miami alumna, spoke enthusiastically about the project and referred to the Frost students as “[having]so much talent and a diverse range of skills.”

Frost students such as Javier Nero, who performed live on the Lakeside Patio Thursday, will be performing as part of the Sunday Sounds concert on March 7.

Featured image courtesy FunGi_ via Flickr.

Brianna Hernandez

While the University of Miami has just three Class of 2019 oral commitments on offense, the Canes ha ...

Gerald Willis’ monster season has earned another piece of national recognition. On Monday, the Miami ...

It hasn’t been a great few weeks on the recruiting trail for the Miami Hurricanes with regards to of ...

A six-pack of Heat notes, leading up to Heat-Lakers on Monday night: ▪ In the days before one of his ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Friday: ▪ UM coach Mark Richt hasn’t yet given any indication to the ...

Most UM Debate Team members devote 10 to 15 hours of preparation for each tournament. ...

National Geographic connects with the University of Miami to empower the next generation of storytel ...

Following national recognition for its French production of Cinderella, the Frost Opera Theater is d ...

Several UM art students are getting real-world exposure during a highly anticipated – and attended – ...

Over the past several years, more and more students are using UM Libraries as a study place, a meeti ...

Gerald Willis III added to his postseason awards list, picking up second-team All-America honors fro ...

Following its longest break of the season thus far, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team ...

Miami head women's tennis coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews announced Friday the signing of two players ...

After a six-day layoff, the No. 25/23 Miami women's basketball team will be back in action Sund ...

University of Miami redshirt senior defensive tackle Gerald Willis III was recognized for his outsta ...