Sports, Tennis

Tough matchups ahead in ACC play

SPORTS_Women'sTennisvsFGCU_GP

Freshman Wendy Zhang prepares to return a ball during Friday’s game against Florida Gulf Coast University. This game was the first of the women’s tennis team’s three game home stretch; they will take on Wake Forest on Friday. Gian Piero // Contributing Photographer

The Hurricanes women’s tennis team has gained momentum after last week’s 6-1 victory over Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU).

A change-up in singles and doubles combinations proved the potential and chemistry that this group holds. It will be necessary for the Hurricanes to utilize these strengths with Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) play starting up this weekend.

After a handful of out-of-conference wins, combined with a difficult tournament against the country’s top-ranked opponents, the No. 9 Hurricanes must be prepared for the most important stretch of their season.

Regardless of ranking, conference matchups consistently provide tough competition, especially when five of the teams are in the top 25,  the most out of any conference.

“It seems like once you start ACC play, everything is just kind of a blur,” said Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. “If you’re not ready to play, you’re going to have your tail handed to you, and the girls know that, and the level has to be high beginning Friday, but I think we’re ready. I think we’re ready, and it’s only going to make us better.”

No. 10-ranked Stephanie Wagner, who is also No. 7 when paired with Lina Lileikite in doubles, leads a group of four other singles players, all of whom are ranked in the top 90 by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA).

Rising freshman Sinead Lohan moved up to No. 45 on the singles list last week. Veteran duo Clementina Riobueno and Monique Albuquerque were also ranked at No. 17.

The Hurricanes will take on the Wake Forest Demon Deacons at home 4 p.m. Friday.

Alexa Pappas

Seniors Emily Gossett, Millie Chokshi, and Jason Kaplan are eager to implement their platform throug ...

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big game ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

Head coach Manny Diaz and The New Miami will make their debut against an old rival, facing No. 8 Flo ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

Check out the latest issue of Hurricane Magazine, featuring stories on Canes football, basketball, s ...

UM women's soccer opened its 2019 campaign by blowing past UTRGV, 4-0. ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...