Sports, Tennis

Tough matchups ahead in ACC play

SPORTS_Women'sTennisvsFGCU_GP

Freshman Wendy Zhang prepares to return a ball during Friday’s game against Florida Gulf Coast University. This game was the first of the women’s tennis team’s three game home stretch; they will take on Wake Forest on Friday. Gian Piero // Contributing Photographer

The Hurricanes women’s tennis team has gained momentum after last week’s 6-1 victory over Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU).

A change-up in singles and doubles combinations proved the potential and chemistry that this group holds. It will be necessary for the Hurricanes to utilize these strengths with Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC) play starting up this weekend.

After a handful of out-of-conference wins, combined with a difficult tournament against the country’s top-ranked opponents, the No. 9 Hurricanes must be prepared for the most important stretch of their season.

Regardless of ranking, conference matchups consistently provide tough competition, especially when five of the teams are in the top 25,  the most out of any conference.

“It seems like once you start ACC play, everything is just kind of a blur,” said Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews. “If you’re not ready to play, you’re going to have your tail handed to you, and the girls know that, and the level has to be high beginning Friday, but I think we’re ready. I think we’re ready, and it’s only going to make us better.”

No. 10-ranked Stephanie Wagner, who is also No. 7 when paired with Lina Lileikite in doubles, leads a group of four other singles players, all of whom are ranked in the top 90 by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA).

Rising freshman Sinead Lohan moved up to No. 45 on the singles list last week. Veteran duo Clementina Riobueno and Monique Albuquerque were also ranked at No. 17.

The Hurricanes will take on the Wake Forest Demon Deacons at home 4 p.m. Friday.

Alexa Pappas

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...