Sports Briefs 2/26

MEN’S BASKETBALL

After taking on rival Florida State on Wednesday,  the Hurricanes will be faced with their final home game against No. 15 North Carolina at 2 p.m. Saturday. Junior guard Sheldon McClellan is listed on the 16-player watch list for the inaugural 2015 Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award.

The award recognizes the top shooting guards in Division I men’s college basketball. As of  Monday’s national statistics, McClellan has the top shooting percentage in the nation by a guard in the Big 5 conferences and is seventh best by a guard in the nation.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The Hurricanes are heading to Wake Forrest (10-18, 1-13 ACC) in their last regular season road game on Thursday. Tip off will be at 7 p.m. Miami has won three straight games against Wake Forest and leads 9-8 in the all-time series. In last season’s two meetings, the Canes won 84-53 at Wake Forest in January and then defeated them at home  72-64 in February. The Canes received votes in the USA Today Coaches Poll for the fifth time this season, though they remain unranked.

As the season winds down, the Canes will look to possible post–season runs with a current 19-8 record overall and 8-6 in the ACC.

TRACK & FIELD

The Hurricanes are running back to action at the ACC Indoor Championships in Blacksburg, Va. this weekend. Virginia Tech will be hosting the championships this year. Athletes will seek to better their rankings for the 2015 NCAA Indoor Championships on March 13-14.

Sophomore Shakima Wimbley will be defending her title as ACC indoor 200m champion and as a member of last year’s gold medal-winning 4x400m relay.

This season, Wimbley established an ACC and school record with her time of 51.82 seconds in the 400m on Jan. 23.

Senior Lea Johnson will also be defending her women’s weight throw ACC indoor title from a year ago. The events take place Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with finals on Saturday available for viewing on ESPN 3.

MEN’S TENNIS

It’s a full weekend of tennis in Miami. In addition to the women’s team playing Wake Forest on Friday, the Hurricanes men’s tennis team will play a double header against Bethune-Cookman on Saturday.

The No. 71 Canes will attempt to bounce back from their 4-3 loss to No. 48 Pepperdine on Valentine’s Day. The matches begin at 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...