Sports Briefs 2/26

MEN’S BASKETBALL

After taking on rival Florida State on Wednesday,  the Hurricanes will be faced with their final home game against No. 15 North Carolina at 2 p.m. Saturday. Junior guard Sheldon McClellan is listed on the 16-player watch list for the inaugural 2015 Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award.

The award recognizes the top shooting guards in Division I men’s college basketball. As of  Monday’s national statistics, McClellan has the top shooting percentage in the nation by a guard in the Big 5 conferences and is seventh best by a guard in the nation.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The Hurricanes are heading to Wake Forrest (10-18, 1-13 ACC) in their last regular season road game on Thursday. Tip off will be at 7 p.m. Miami has won three straight games against Wake Forest and leads 9-8 in the all-time series. In last season’s two meetings, the Canes won 84-53 at Wake Forest in January and then defeated them at home  72-64 in February. The Canes received votes in the USA Today Coaches Poll for the fifth time this season, though they remain unranked.

As the season winds down, the Canes will look to possible post–season runs with a current 19-8 record overall and 8-6 in the ACC.

TRACK & FIELD

The Hurricanes are running back to action at the ACC Indoor Championships in Blacksburg, Va. this weekend. Virginia Tech will be hosting the championships this year. Athletes will seek to better their rankings for the 2015 NCAA Indoor Championships on March 13-14.

Sophomore Shakima Wimbley will be defending her title as ACC indoor 200m champion and as a member of last year’s gold medal-winning 4x400m relay.

This season, Wimbley established an ACC and school record with her time of 51.82 seconds in the 400m on Jan. 23.

Senior Lea Johnson will also be defending her women’s weight throw ACC indoor title from a year ago. The events take place Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with finals on Saturday available for viewing on ESPN 3.

MEN’S TENNIS

It’s a full weekend of tennis in Miami. In addition to the women’s team playing Wake Forest on Friday, the Hurricanes men’s tennis team will play a double header against Bethune-Cookman on Saturday.

The No. 71 Canes will attempt to bounce back from their 4-3 loss to No. 48 Pepperdine on Valentine’s Day. The matches begin at 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

They both returned to earn their degrees and finish their college football careers with their brothe ...

Court adjourned at United States v. James Gatto on Monday, but not before one last piece of good new ...

Add former five-star running back recruit Lorenzo Lingard to the growing list of injured Miami Hurri ...

Here’s our story on the big news of the day: Mark Richt admonishing N’Kosi Perry for posting a video ...

University of Miami redshirt freshman quarterback N’Kosi Perry has been reprimanded for posting a vi ...

Fresh off fall break, News@TheU catches up with students to learn what foods make them feel at home. ...

UM’s annual Food Day celebration will highlight the need to eat sustainable, locally sourced foods ...

A new study by University of Miami psychology researchers of anonymous interactions suggests that hu ...

University of Miami changes program title of Women’s and Gender Studies to Gender and Sexuality Stud ...

Two families with deep ties to Miami—the Millers and Fains— celebrate two endowed faculty chair appo ...

The Hurricanes head to Chestnut Hill, Mass., for a for a nationally-televised game against a rough a ...

A trio of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes will continue to make a run at the ...

The Oklahoma Sports Hall of Fame announced the 14 semifinalists for the 2018 Paycom Jim Thorpe Award ...

The Miami Hurricanes volleyball team kept its Sunday win streak alive by defeating Georgia Tech, 3-1 ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team continues to have success in the Main Draw, as a pair ...