Sports Briefs 2/26

MEN’S BASKETBALL

After taking on rival Florida State on Wednesday,  the Hurricanes will be faced with their final home game against No. 15 North Carolina at 2 p.m. Saturday. Junior guard Sheldon McClellan is listed on the 16-player watch list for the inaugural 2015 Jerry West Shooting Guard of the Year Award.

The award recognizes the top shooting guards in Division I men’s college basketball. As of  Monday’s national statistics, McClellan has the top shooting percentage in the nation by a guard in the Big 5 conferences and is seventh best by a guard in the nation.

WOMEN’S BASKETBALL

The Hurricanes are heading to Wake Forrest (10-18, 1-13 ACC) in their last regular season road game on Thursday. Tip off will be at 7 p.m. Miami has won three straight games against Wake Forest and leads 9-8 in the all-time series. In last season’s two meetings, the Canes won 84-53 at Wake Forest in January and then defeated them at home  72-64 in February. The Canes received votes in the USA Today Coaches Poll for the fifth time this season, though they remain unranked.

As the season winds down, the Canes will look to possible post–season runs with a current 19-8 record overall and 8-6 in the ACC.

TRACK & FIELD

The Hurricanes are running back to action at the ACC Indoor Championships in Blacksburg, Va. this weekend. Virginia Tech will be hosting the championships this year. Athletes will seek to better their rankings for the 2015 NCAA Indoor Championships on March 13-14.

Sophomore Shakima Wimbley will be defending her title as ACC indoor 200m champion and as a member of last year’s gold medal-winning 4x400m relay.

This season, Wimbley established an ACC and school record with her time of 51.82 seconds in the 400m on Jan. 23.

Senior Lea Johnson will also be defending her women’s weight throw ACC indoor title from a year ago. The events take place Thursday, Friday and Saturday, with finals on Saturday available for viewing on ESPN 3.

MEN’S TENNIS

It’s a full weekend of tennis in Miami. In addition to the women’s team playing Wake Forest on Friday, the Hurricanes men’s tennis team will play a double header against Bethune-Cookman on Saturday.

The No. 71 Canes will attempt to bounce back from their 4-3 loss to No. 48 Pepperdine on Valentine’s Day. The matches begin at 10 a.m. and 4 p.m.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

Miami baseball coach Gino DiMare didn’t want his Hurricanes this past Sunday looking ahead to the we ...

When UM spring practice begins in a month, here’s one of many things the coaches need to determine: ...

Jaiden Francois already had a reputation as one of South Florida’s top defensive backs for the Class ...

It could be a fruitful year for the Miami Hurricanes in the 2019 NFL Draft. NFL Draft analyst Mel Ki ...

A quick six-pack off UM coach Manny Diaz’s conversation with Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. on WQAM’ ...

Students are invited to participate in the second annual Students of Color Symposium this weekend, f ...

The University of Miami connects scholarship recipients with the donors who helped make their educat ...

From eliminating waste to reusable containers, there are simple steps you can take to make UM more s ...

UM public health experts try to help tackle Venezuela’s ongoing health care crisis. ...

The Ring Theatre’s contemporary reworking of Molière’s “The Misanthrope” showcases the skills of UM’ ...

The University of Miami got off to a dream start at the ACC Swimming & Diving Championships Wedn ...

The sophomore first baseman smashed two homers to help power Canes to 4-0 start. ...

The University of Miami track and field team is set to compete at the 2019 ACC Indoor Track and Fiel ...

The Hurricanes will wrap up a four-game homestand with a midweek game against FAU on Wednesday at 6 ...

The No. 14 Miami women's basketball team is set to cap its longest road stretch of the season T ...