News, Senate Recap, Student Government

Senate Recap: Commuter safety, writing requirements, Wi-Fi connections

With the addition of new senators, Student Government’s (SG) Senate is continuing its work with other organizations and upcoming programs to help diversify and educate the University of Miami community.

• Academic Affairs (AA) committee is still working on its Fibs and Facts of UM list. It is now confirmed that there is no rule saying students can leave class if the teacher hasn’t shown up within the first 15 minutes (although the teacher probably won’t show up by then).
  • The University Curriculum Committee (UCC) is working on improving writing requirements and advanced communication for students. The following decisions are being considered:
    • Every major must take ENG 105 and 106.
    • Implementing an English and writing test that incoming students must take, similar to the ALEKS mathematics placement test.
    • To become a junior, students must take ENG 105 and 106.
    • Not allowing students with an SAT score of less than 1800 to be admitted to UM.
  • To improve Wi-Fi connection on campus, contact Zoe Kafkes (kafkes@umiami.edu) about a place on campus that can be improved.
  • SG President Alessandria San Roman met with UM President Donna E. Shalala earlier today to discuss additional safety on San Amaro Drive, especially with a recent accident on Friday, Feb. 20. Additionally, Coral Gables Police Department (CGPD) will be coming to campus on March 2 to promote commuter awareness safety.
  • Metro passes will be given out to students who have classes on the UM Miller School of Medicine from 9 a.m. – 4 p.m. in the University Center (UC) ticket window on Monday, Mar. 2 until Thursday, Mar. 5.
  • Several bills were passed concerning different constitutional statutes, including specifying the roles of the assistant executive office, reducing the executive board’s treasurer power over Energy Conservation Operations (ECO), and allowing the Speaker Pro Tempore to decide a decision if there is a tie.
  • Co-sponsorship was given to the following organizations to help plan events to promote an aspect of students on campus:
    • Planet Kreyol’s, “Week of Haitian Culture,” was given $250 to use for event planning; the money will not be used for cash prizes. Free and open to the whole community, the week serves to share knowledge about Haitian culture and address any negative stereotypes. Additionally, a band from Haiti will be featured at a carnival on the SAC Patio. The week will take place from March 23-28.
    • The Association of Commuter Student’s (ACS) “Commuter Student Week,” was granted $500 to use for events such as a drive-in movie with Cinematic Arts Commission and a laser tag; the money will not be used for cash prizes. It is an attempt to raise awareness about commuters and bridge the gap with residents. All events are free to students and will take place from March 23-27.
    • Council of International Students and Organizations’ (COISO) “International Week” was given $1,000 to promote diversity on campus through week-long events; the money will not be used for cash prizes. Open to all students, there will be day and night events to introduce a different part of the world to UM. “International Week” will take place from April 6-11.
  • A referendum about the spring 2015 ballot giving Scientifica, the UM science magazine, an extra $1 from student activities fee passed. The magazine is sponsored by the College of Arts and Sciences and is unable to receive funding from Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee (SAFAC) for printing costs.

Alina Zerpa

At their best, they are UM’s most dynamic players on each side of the ball. But the Ahmmon Richards ...

A day after practicing in the Carol Soffer Football Indoor Practice Facility for the first time in s ...

It appears that at least one LSU receiver won’t be available at the University of Miami football ope ...

After the Miami Hurricanes football team spent part of its practice on Monday in a torrential downpo ...

Nothing like a comic book cover on steroids to get University of Miami and LSU football fans juiced ...

Intergroup Dialogue, soon to be offered as a course, fosters a sense of belonging, an appreciation f ...

Aretha Franklin and her music defined “what is soul” to generations of music lovers. ...

The University of Miami kicked into high gear to welcome thousands of new students and ensure move-i ...

UM President Julio Frenk welcomes first-year and transfer students to UM in signature ’Cane Kickoff ...

Miami Law conducts its inaugural Legal Impact Hack for first-year students. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team won its exhibition match over FIU, 3-0, Saturday at the Knig ...

Coming off a road win in its season opener, the University of Miami soccer team will welcome crossto ...

In head coach Sarah Barnes' debut at the helm, the University of Miami soccer team won its seas ...

The Hurricanes practiced in the Carol Soffer Indoor Practice Facility for the first time ever on Fri ...

Malik Rosier, Travis Homer and Ahmmon Richards are key returning playmakers, but they are just the b ...