Basketball, Sports

Miami’s tournament chances riding on rivalry game

Coming off a heartbreaking loss in Louisville that knocked Miami into college basketball analyst Joe Lunardi’s “Next Four Out” from the “First Four Out,” the Hurricanes will host rival Florida State Seminoles 9 p.m. Wednesday night in the BankUnited Center.

“When you are in the ACC, every team you play is a very good team. We have two home games and two road games,” head coach Jim Larrañaga said. “I still think our best basketball is ahead of us, and if we play our best, I think we can compete and win any game we are in.”

Miami (17-10, 7-7 ACC) led for much of the game against Louisville, only to falter in the final minutes and lose 55-53. Louisville was reeling — having lost its previous two games — and amid team turmoil, with the team reinstating suspended point guard Chris Jones to play against the Hurricanes. Miami looked to have an opportunity to validate its season and earn an NCAA tournament bid, yet ultimately came up short.

Now, it is essential that the Hurricanes win out in order to make it to the Big Dance.

Florida State (15-13, 7-8 ACC) comes to Coral Gables already having beaten the Hurricanes this season. In Tallahassee, the Seminoles rallied from 16 points down in that game to triumph over the Canes 55-54. Junior guard and leading scorer Sheldon McClellan had an opportunity to win that game for Miami, but his floater in the lane clanked out as time expired.

Throughout the final weeks of the season, Larrañaga has stressed that his team needs an RPI in the top 40 to make the NCAA tournament. Its RPI currently resides at 67.

Mark Poulose

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship one of th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...