Basketball, Sports

Miami’s tournament chances riding on rivalry game

Coming off a heartbreaking loss in Louisville that knocked Miami into college basketball analyst Joe Lunardi’s “Next Four Out” from the “First Four Out,” the Hurricanes will host rival Florida State Seminoles 9 p.m. Wednesday night in the BankUnited Center.

“When you are in the ACC, every team you play is a very good team. We have two home games and two road games,” head coach Jim Larrañaga said. “I still think our best basketball is ahead of us, and if we play our best, I think we can compete and win any game we are in.”

Miami (17-10, 7-7 ACC) led for much of the game against Louisville, only to falter in the final minutes and lose 55-53. Louisville was reeling — having lost its previous two games — and amid team turmoil, with the team reinstating suspended point guard Chris Jones to play against the Hurricanes. Miami looked to have an opportunity to validate its season and earn an NCAA tournament bid, yet ultimately came up short.

Now, it is essential that the Hurricanes win out in order to make it to the Big Dance.

Florida State (15-13, 7-8 ACC) comes to Coral Gables already having beaten the Hurricanes this season. In Tallahassee, the Seminoles rallied from 16 points down in that game to triumph over the Canes 55-54. Junior guard and leading scorer Sheldon McClellan had an opportunity to win that game for Miami, but his floater in the lane clanked out as time expired.

Throughout the final weeks of the season, Larrañaga has stressed that his team needs an RPI in the top 40 to make the NCAA tournament. Its RPI currently resides at 67.

Mark Poulose

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...