Garment factory workers to discuss working conditions

Workers from Bangladesh will discuss the current working conditions in their garment factories Tuesday in the Student Activities Center (SAC), when the United Students Against Sweatshops (USAS) Worker Tour comes to the University of Miami.

USAS frequently puts on such events to engage students and actively spread its message on college campuses.

“As we have a working relationship with USAS, it was proposed that the worker tour make its first stop at UM, an event that is unprecedented for the University of Miami,” said Rebecca Garcia, president of UM’s chapter of Students Toward a New Democracy (STAND).

USAS has started this campaign in the hopes of raising awareness about the conditions faced by many factory workers in various countries. Its goal is to “fight sweatshop conditions such as poverty wages, forced overtime, sexual harassment, union busting, and health and safety violations in the global apparel industry.”

According to the USAS website, the campaign demands that its universities tell apparel companies to disclose factory locations where their apparel is made.

As a group of students themselves, USAS is committed to organizing campaigns that tour different campuses around the country. Such tours aim to attract more students to join in building a movement to fight apparel industries with poor factory conditions in sweatshops.

“I hope that this event will shed light on the egregious labor abuses that occur in the sweatshop apparel industry, not only specifically to Bangladesh, but to workers who face similar situations across the globe,” Garcia said.

The campaign focuses on obtaining fair wages, safe working conditions and the right to form workers’ unions for factory workers in apparel industries. The campaigns use an effective three-step strategy when on college campuses.

USAS also encourages the universities to set labor rules for the companies that produce its apparel. Additionally, it requires that its schools affiliate with the Worker Rights Consortium, an organization that monitors the apparel industry.

STAND is joining the efforts to ask the university to supply the bookstore with more sweatshop-free apparel, according to Garcia.

“We hope that this event will help to promote our overall cause and assist with achieving the ulterior objectives…” Garcia said.

All interested in learning more about the campaign are encouraged to attend the event at 5 p.m. Tuesday in the SAC Senate Room or visit northfacedeathtraps.com.

Cody Brown

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Listeners to UM President Julio Frenk’s State of the U reacted positively to the message and the Uni ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Tropical storm scientists and climate experts at the University of Miami provided insight, observati ...

Joseph Ganitsky, a professor in the Miami Business School, examines the financial crisis facing Arge ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...