Edge, Music

Ying Yang Twins take Rathskeller

EDGE_Yin Yang

Yin Yang Twins D-Roc and Kaine perform during Friday night’s concert held at the Rathskeller. Matthew Trabold // Staff Photographer

The Rathskeller served up more than drinks on Friday as it hosted a performance by the Ying Yang Twins in collaboration with Hurricane Productions and the Rathskeller Advisory Board.

A total of 800 students and guests showed up at the Rat Friday night to attend the on-campus concert.

“Seeing as we have never had an event like this in the Rat before, we were all very unsure of how things would go,” said Julie Earl, chair of the Rathskeller Advisory Board for Hurricane Productions.

Before the doors opened at 9:30 p.m., a line formed from outside the Rat that extended to the far end of the Student Activities Center.

“I started off thinking ‘We’ll be happy to get about 200 people to come,’ to ‘Wow, I didn’t realize how many people still loved the Ying Yang Twins,’” Earl said.

The concert began with DJ Push Play, a Miami-based disc jockey, working the turntables.

The Ying Yang Twins were scheduled to perform at 10 p.m. but did not make it to the stage until a little over an hour later.

The Atlanta hip-hop duo performed many of their popular songs including “Shake,” “Whistle While You Twurk,” “Wait (The Whisper Song)” and “Salt Shaker.”

They also performed an improvised a cappella rendition of “Get Low,” a song they are featured on, singing together with the crowd during some temporary technical difficulties.

“It was just a good vibe, energy flowing,” junior Tiffany Okieme said. “People vibing with each other. No hate, just love. Just chilling, having a good time.”

The Ying Yang Twins announced at the end of their performance that they are releasing a new album called “The Ying and the Yang” later this year.

Earl said that Rathskeller is intended to be a late night venue and has gotten a lot of encouragement to bring back that atmosphere.

“We hope students had a fun time and we’re excited to say this paved the way for a wider variety of programming in the future,” she said.

Haynes Stephens

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

The Canes will battle the Cardinals this weekend in a battle of ranked ACC foes. ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...