Edge, Music

Ying Yang Twins take Rathskeller

EDGE_Yin Yang

Yin Yang Twins D-Roc and Kaine perform during Friday night’s concert held at the Rathskeller. Matthew Trabold // Staff Photographer

The Rathskeller served up more than drinks on Friday as it hosted a performance by the Ying Yang Twins in collaboration with Hurricane Productions and the Rathskeller Advisory Board.

A total of 800 students and guests showed up at the Rat Friday night to attend the on-campus concert.

“Seeing as we have never had an event like this in the Rat before, we were all very unsure of how things would go,” said Julie Earl, chair of the Rathskeller Advisory Board for Hurricane Productions.

Before the doors opened at 9:30 p.m., a line formed from outside the Rat that extended to the far end of the Student Activities Center.

“I started off thinking ‘We’ll be happy to get about 200 people to come,’ to ‘Wow, I didn’t realize how many people still loved the Ying Yang Twins,’” Earl said.

The concert began with DJ Push Play, a Miami-based disc jockey, working the turntables.

The Ying Yang Twins were scheduled to perform at 10 p.m. but did not make it to the stage until a little over an hour later.

The Atlanta hip-hop duo performed many of their popular songs including “Shake,” “Whistle While You Twurk,” “Wait (The Whisper Song)” and “Salt Shaker.”

They also performed an improvised a cappella rendition of “Get Low,” a song they are featured on, singing together with the crowd during some temporary technical difficulties.

“It was just a good vibe, energy flowing,” junior Tiffany Okieme said. “People vibing with each other. No hate, just love. Just chilling, having a good time.”

The Ying Yang Twins announced at the end of their performance that they are releasing a new album called “The Ying and the Yang” later this year.

Earl said that Rathskeller is intended to be a late night venue and has gotten a lot of encouragement to bring back that atmosphere.

“We hope students had a fun time and we’re excited to say this paved the way for a wider variety of programming in the future,” she said.

Haynes Stephens

Father, mother, and daughter will all be students at the University of Miami this fall semester. ...

UM weather expert and senior research associate Brian McNoldy explains the science behind lightning ...

As students make their way back to campus for the new school year, here’s a refresher on some of the ...

President Julio Frenk and student leaders formally welcome first-year and transfer students to campu ...

Marc Gellman, a University of Miami research associate professor, recounts his experience attending ...

On the final night of its trip abroad, the Miami men's basketball team defeated LCC Internation ...

Miami's defensive tackles have traditionally been some of the Hurricanes' best players, wh ...

Sophomores Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory look to follow in the footsteps of the greats before them ...

Jarren Williams stepped into the spotlight for the first time Tuesday as Miami's starting quart ...

Former Miami soccer player Dalanda Ouendeno is attempting to become the first foreign female pit cre ...