Edge, Music

Ying Yang Twins take Rathskeller

EDGE_Yin Yang

Yin Yang Twins D-Roc and Kaine perform during Friday night’s concert held at the Rathskeller. Matthew Trabold // Staff Photographer

The Rathskeller served up more than drinks on Friday as it hosted a performance by the Ying Yang Twins in collaboration with Hurricane Productions and the Rathskeller Advisory Board.

A total of 800 students and guests showed up at the Rat Friday night to attend the on-campus concert.

“Seeing as we have never had an event like this in the Rat before, we were all very unsure of how things would go,” said Julie Earl, chair of the Rathskeller Advisory Board for Hurricane Productions.

Before the doors opened at 9:30 p.m., a line formed from outside the Rat that extended to the far end of the Student Activities Center.

“I started off thinking ‘We’ll be happy to get about 200 people to come,’ to ‘Wow, I didn’t realize how many people still loved the Ying Yang Twins,’” Earl said.

The concert began with DJ Push Play, a Miami-based disc jockey, working the turntables.

The Ying Yang Twins were scheduled to perform at 10 p.m. but did not make it to the stage until a little over an hour later.

The Atlanta hip-hop duo performed many of their popular songs including “Shake,” “Whistle While You Twurk,” “Wait (The Whisper Song)” and “Salt Shaker.”

They also performed an improvised a cappella rendition of “Get Low,” a song they are featured on, singing together with the crowd during some temporary technical difficulties.

“It was just a good vibe, energy flowing,” junior Tiffany Okieme said. “People vibing with each other. No hate, just love. Just chilling, having a good time.”

The Ying Yang Twins announced at the end of their performance that they are releasing a new album called “The Ying and the Yang” later this year.

Earl said that Rathskeller is intended to be a late night venue and has gotten a lot of encouragement to bring back that atmosphere.

“We hope students had a fun time and we’re excited to say this paved the way for a wider variety of programming in the future,” she said.

Haynes Stephens

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...