Campus Life, News

Volunteers unite for Black Awareness Month event

Children from all over Miami spent Saturday morning dancing and bouncing at the University of Miami as part of Black Awareness Month’s (BAM) annual Day of Service.

Hosted by United Black Students (UBS), the service event invited more than 90 students from local community centers for workshops on tutorials in math and English, Black history games and a bounce house on the UC patio. Participants also made get-well cards for Miami Children’s Hospital.

This year’s goal was to “bring the children on campus, shed some light on black culture and just make sure they were having a good time, and see college in a positive light overall,” said Victoria Graham, a co-chair of BAM Day of Service.

Rebecca Carter, who is Graham’s BAM Day of Service co-chair, said the volunteers were the most crucial part in making the day run smoothly.

“They all provided a very welcoming environment for the kids,” she said.

Carter and Graham were able to get in touch with community centers with help from the Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership.

One of the community centers at the event was Touching Miami with Love. The center’s mission is to promote the Christian faith and “love of Christ” by providing hope, opportunities and resources with the Overtown community.

“I think it’s good to see a lot kids from various areas of Miami have the opportunity to come to the University of Miami, touch bases with people who look like them and have the opportunity to incorporate themselves with different cultures, different people, and different activities,” said Christopher Meeks, program instructor at Touching Miami with Love.

Lawrence Rolle, president of Brothers Overcoming Negativity and Destruction, believes this event is important because it allows community children to look up to and learn from university students.

“It seems we definitely had an impact on a lot of students. It’s good to see children at this campus, seeing what it could be like in terms of their future,” he said. “It just feels good knowing we’re making a difference on people’s lives. It was great experience.”

Nareka Trewick, a UBS member, explained that Day of Service is her favorite BAM event because it allows students to interact with the community and helps them branch out of the UM campus.

“I hope the volunteers gained a little perspective into what goes on in the Miami community outside of Coral Gables,” she said.

UBS hosts a number of events dedicated to making the student body aware of the different social, economic and academic contributions of the African-American community throughout February.

BAM events will conclude on Feb. 26.

Featured image courtesy Steven Sheats of Flickr.

Alexis McDonald

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

The Canes will battle the Cardinals this weekend in a battle of ranked ACC foes. ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...