Campus Life, News

Volunteers unite for Black Awareness Month event

Children from all over Miami spent Saturday morning dancing and bouncing at the University of Miami as part of Black Awareness Month’s (BAM) annual Day of Service.

Hosted by United Black Students (UBS), the service event invited more than 90 students from local community centers for workshops on tutorials in math and English, Black history games and a bounce house on the UC patio. Participants also made get-well cards for Miami Children’s Hospital.

This year’s goal was to “bring the children on campus, shed some light on black culture and just make sure they were having a good time, and see college in a positive light overall,” said Victoria Graham, a co-chair of BAM Day of Service.

Rebecca Carter, who is Graham’s BAM Day of Service co-chair, said the volunteers were the most crucial part in making the day run smoothly.

“They all provided a very welcoming environment for the kids,” she said.

Carter and Graham were able to get in touch with community centers with help from the Butler Center for Volunteer Service and Leadership.

One of the community centers at the event was Touching Miami with Love. The center’s mission is to promote the Christian faith and “love of Christ” by providing hope, opportunities and resources with the Overtown community.

“I think it’s good to see a lot kids from various areas of Miami have the opportunity to come to the University of Miami, touch bases with people who look like them and have the opportunity to incorporate themselves with different cultures, different people, and different activities,” said Christopher Meeks, program instructor at Touching Miami with Love.

Lawrence Rolle, president of Brothers Overcoming Negativity and Destruction, believes this event is important because it allows community children to look up to and learn from university students.

“It seems we definitely had an impact on a lot of students. It’s good to see children at this campus, seeing what it could be like in terms of their future,” he said. “It just feels good knowing we’re making a difference on people’s lives. It was great experience.”

Nareka Trewick, a UBS member, explained that Day of Service is her favorite BAM event because it allows students to interact with the community and helps them branch out of the UM campus.

“I hope the volunteers gained a little perspective into what goes on in the Miami community outside of Coral Gables,” she said.

UBS hosts a number of events dedicated to making the student body aware of the different social, economic and academic contributions of the African-American community throughout February.

BAM events will conclude on Feb. 26.

Featured image courtesy Steven Sheats of Flickr.

Alexis McDonald

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...