Community, Edge

USpeak hosts Miami author Jaquira Diaz

USpeak_Mug

Jaquira Diaz

Award-winning essayist, fiction writer and Miami native Jaquira Diaz will serve as the featured speaker at the USpeak Flash Fiction & Poetry Performance event at 7 p.m. Thursday.

The Wesley House welcomes writers and listeners to another USpeak as part of the bimonthly series held by the College of Arts and Sciences, the English Department’s Creative Writing Program, and the undergraduate Mangrove Literary Journal.

The event is free to attend and open to students of all majors.

Students will perform alongside Diaz, who is a recipient of a Pushcart Prize, the Carl Djerassi Fiction Fellowship from the Wisconsin Institute for Creative Writing, and an NEA Fellowship to the Hambidge Center for Creative Arts and Sciences.

Her work appears in, is noted in, or is anthologized by publications such as The Southern Review, Best American Essays 2012, Best American Nonrequired Reading 2014, and The Los Angeles Review of Books.

USpeak will take place at the CAS Gallery. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

Haley Walker

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Paradise Camp continues to pay dividends for the Miami Hurricanes. As the camp wrapped up Saturday, ...

As Manny Diaz puts it, Paradise Camp is the Miami Hurricanes’ bridge between three generations. It s ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...