Community, Culture

USpeak hosts Miami author Jaquira Diaz

USpeak_Mug

Jaquira Diaz

Award-winning essayist, fiction writer and Miami native Jaquira Diaz will serve as the featured speaker at the USpeak Flash Fiction & Poetry Performance event at 7 p.m. Thursday.

The Wesley House welcomes writers and listeners to another USpeak as part of the bimonthly series held by the College of Arts and Sciences, the English Department’s Creative Writing Program, and the undergraduate Mangrove Literary Journal.

The event is free to attend and open to students of all majors.

Students will perform alongside Diaz, who is a recipient of a Pushcart Prize, the Carl Djerassi Fiction Fellowship from the Wisconsin Institute for Creative Writing, and an NEA Fellowship to the Hambidge Center for Creative Arts and Sciences.

Her work appears in, is noted in, or is anthologized by publications such as The Southern Review, Best American Essays 2012, Best American Nonrequired Reading 2014, and The Los Angeles Review of Books.

USpeak will take place at the CAS Gallery. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

Haley Walker

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...