Community, Edge

USpeak hosts Miami author Jaquira Diaz

USpeak_Mug

Jaquira Diaz

Award-winning essayist, fiction writer and Miami native Jaquira Diaz will serve as the featured speaker at the USpeak Flash Fiction & Poetry Performance event at 7 p.m. Thursday.

The Wesley House welcomes writers and listeners to another USpeak as part of the bimonthly series held by the College of Arts and Sciences, the English Department’s Creative Writing Program, and the undergraduate Mangrove Literary Journal.

The event is free to attend and open to students of all majors.

Students will perform alongside Diaz, who is a recipient of a Pushcart Prize, the Carl Djerassi Fiction Fellowship from the Wisconsin Institute for Creative Writing, and an NEA Fellowship to the Hambidge Center for Creative Arts and Sciences.

Her work appears in, is noted in, or is anthologized by publications such as The Southern Review, Best American Essays 2012, Best American Nonrequired Reading 2014, and The Los Angeles Review of Books.

USpeak will take place at the CAS Gallery. Doors open at 6:30 p.m.

Haley Walker

Three of four University of Miami scholarship quarterbacks were suspended at various times this seas ...

While the University of Miami offense has struggled mightily this season, its defense has been stell ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers boast one of the best rushing offenses in the country. On Saturday, the Miam ...

After watching several juniors turn pro and then go late in the draft or not at all in recent years, ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday: ▪ If you ever wondered what the Hurricanes would look like if ...

Erin Kobetz, director of Sylvester Comprehensive Cancer Center’s Firefighter Cancer Initiative, disc ...

Kristiana Yao, who graduated summa cum laude in May, said she was “still in shock” after finding out ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

The Miami women's basketball team jumped two spots to No. 22 nationally in the first in-season ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...