Opinion, The Maturity Column

Avoid post-graduation regrets with bucket list

Closing in on year two at the U, I’m weighing my approach to my “best four years.”

I’ve had my fun: interviewed President Shalala, dressed in drag for “Rocky Horror” and even once enjoyed the dining hall.

I want to verify that I’m taking advantage of both the campus and the raging metropolis up U.S. 1. Has my odyssey been bold enough to contribute to the UM bucket list?

So I decided to fish for some of the most outlandish escapades students have enjoyed that I can pin to my real-life Netflix queue.

“A producer once asked me and my friend to start a band,” said freshman music major Sydney Robinson.

This sounded neat but not exhilarating, though I did consider asking the loud couple from my floor last year to make a screamo band.

“My friend was jumped by kids with knives on South Beach,” said grad student Emma May at the newly-christened Billy Goat. “But they left the phone on, so she tracked them down.”

So far, my two options were either forming an indie-pop group or wielding a piece to score an iPhone. I didn’t see the benefit in the latter, considering how many iPhone 4s are still at large.

Surely, there’s a middle ground.

“I’ve never had sex in the [library]stacks here, but I did [at American University],” freshman Isabelle Soltani said . “I wouldn’t be against it.”

Sex in the stacks? I’d never try that. But after hearing continuous feedback on its prevalence, I mandated an investigation to validate if this was the staple of the UM bucket list.

When I reached the ninth floor of the Richter library, white signs popped up like prairie dogs screaming: “Quiet zone!”

To follow this rule, I tried acting out “sex in the stacks” to a nearby student, but he asked if I had a pancake fetish.

After navigating to the seventh floor, I secured a private conversation with junior Chris Illes.

“What are the chances someone had sex in the spot you’re sitting in right now?” I asked.

“On a scale of one to 10, it’s deep in the nines,” he said. “When people don’t have time to relocate the night before a test, they just gotta get a good release sometimes.”

Unfortunately, library lovin’ apparently existed, but I hoped Illes could supply me with an easier objective to finally spice up my college recipe.

“I spent a night on South Beach and saw homeless people do it.”

Minus the homeless humping, an outdoor slumber party didn’t sound … awful.

“I once ran out of a cab because I was broke and ate s*** on the IM fields.”

Okay, maybe just South Beach then…

“I once got held at gunpoint in the Grove, and wrestled a guy for my Blackberry Curve.”

Wait … risk my life for a Blackberry?

On second thought, does anyone want to start a band?

Danny New is a sophomore majoring in broadcast journalism. “The Maturity Column” runs each Monday. 

Danny New

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

The University of Miami women's swimming and diving team finished off a clean sweep of in-state ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...