Sports, Swimming/Diving, Tennis

Sports Briefs 2/23

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The ninth-ranked Hurricanes Women’s tennis dominated Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) Friday in their final match before ACC competition.

They defeated the Eagles 6-1 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. In doubles matches, the No. 17-ranked pair in the nation, senior Monique Albuquerque and junior Clementina Riobueno, took down Julianna Curtis and Johanna Sterkel, 8-1. 

Albuquerque was the first player to win a singles match as well, quickly defeating Curtis, 6-2, 6-2. Senior Lina Lileikite and freshman Silvia Fuentes played together for the first time this year. In their doubles match, they defeated Candela Munoz Giron and Breana Stampfli 8-2, giving Miami the doubles point. Junior Stephanie Wagner and freshman Sinead Lohan paired up for the first time this year as well.  Their match was left unfinished with the Canes’ pair leading 6-4 over Elizabeth Means and Sarah Means. The Hurricanes enter ACC play Friday against Wake Forest.

SWIMMING AND DIVING

The Hurricanes diving team finished a successful run in the four-day 2015 ACC Championships Sunday. Miami divers totaled six medals in the competition, including two gold by freshman Briadam Herrera in the 1-meter and 3-meter. There were three silver, one by Sam Dorman in the 1-meter and Thea Vock in the 1-meter and 3-meter.  Cheyenne Cousineau brought in one bronze medal in the 3-meter.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...