Sports, Swimming/Diving, Tennis

Sports Briefs 2/23

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The ninth-ranked Hurricanes Women’s tennis dominated Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) Friday in their final match before ACC competition.

They defeated the Eagles 6-1 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. In doubles matches, the No. 17-ranked pair in the nation, senior Monique Albuquerque and junior Clementina Riobueno, took down Julianna Curtis and Johanna Sterkel, 8-1. 

Albuquerque was the first player to win a singles match as well, quickly defeating Curtis, 6-2, 6-2. Senior Lina Lileikite and freshman Silvia Fuentes played together for the first time this year. In their doubles match, they defeated Candela Munoz Giron and Breana Stampfli 8-2, giving Miami the doubles point. Junior Stephanie Wagner and freshman Sinead Lohan paired up for the first time this year as well.  Their match was left unfinished with the Canes’ pair leading 6-4 over Elizabeth Means and Sarah Means. The Hurricanes enter ACC play Friday against Wake Forest.

SWIMMING AND DIVING

The Hurricanes diving team finished a successful run in the four-day 2015 ACC Championships Sunday. Miami divers totaled six medals in the competition, including two gold by freshman Briadam Herrera in the 1-meter and 3-meter. There were three silver, one by Sam Dorman in the 1-meter and Thea Vock in the 1-meter and 3-meter.  Cheyenne Cousineau brought in one bronze medal in the 3-meter.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

The improvements to the IM fields offer a safer, more efficient field for the University community. ...

President Donald Trump’s letter to the Turkish president has been looked at as undiplomatic and unpr ...

The LGBTQ Student Center and SpectrUM invite the UM community to show their true colors during LGBT ...

Miller School of Medicine students are visiting barbershops to offer free health screenings to Afric ...

With a new name and a continued focus on excellence, students, faculty, and staff are excited about ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.