Sports, Swimming/Diving, Tennis

Sports Briefs 2/23

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The ninth-ranked Hurricanes Women’s tennis dominated Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) Friday in their final match before ACC competition.

They defeated the Eagles 6-1 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. In doubles matches, the No. 17-ranked pair in the nation, senior Monique Albuquerque and junior Clementina Riobueno, took down Julianna Curtis and Johanna Sterkel, 8-1. 

Albuquerque was the first player to win a singles match as well, quickly defeating Curtis, 6-2, 6-2. Senior Lina Lileikite and freshman Silvia Fuentes played together for the first time this year. In their doubles match, they defeated Candela Munoz Giron and Breana Stampfli 8-2, giving Miami the doubles point. Junior Stephanie Wagner and freshman Sinead Lohan paired up for the first time this year as well.  Their match was left unfinished with the Canes’ pair leading 6-4 over Elizabeth Means and Sarah Means. The Hurricanes enter ACC play Friday against Wake Forest.

SWIMMING AND DIVING

The Hurricanes diving team finished a successful run in the four-day 2015 ACC Championships Sunday. Miami divers totaled six medals in the competition, including two gold by freshman Briadam Herrera in the 1-meter and 3-meter. There were three silver, one by Sam Dorman in the 1-meter and Thea Vock in the 1-meter and 3-meter.  Cheyenne Cousineau brought in one bronze medal in the 3-meter.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

They were way below the radar coming into the 1983 season. And after their 28-3 opening-game loss to ...

In the opening eight minutes on Saturday — and the final seven minutes — FIU looked like a team that ...

The N’Kosi Perry era is here. Whether it’s here to stay is yet to be seen. The fans got what they wa ...

Ten takeaways from UM’s 31-17 win against FIU on Saturday at Hard Rock Stadium: ▪ Credit Mark Richt ...

As the Miami Hurricanes started their third series against the FIU Panthers on Saturday afternoon, t ...

A year after UPup’s founding father met his match, the service club is realizing its goal of becomin ...

N'Kosi Perry and a dominant Miami defense led the Hurricanes to a 31-17 victory over the Panthe ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team is headed to the championship of one th ...

The Miami women's tennis team posted a 5-2 mark in official matches on the second day of the Mi ...

Freshman Riley Howard continued her incredible start as a Canes cross country runner setting another ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to host Virginia Tech Sunday at noon at Cobb Stadium. ...