Sports, Swimming/Diving, Tennis

Sports Briefs 2/23

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The ninth-ranked Hurricanes Women’s tennis dominated Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) Friday in their final match before ACC competition.

They defeated the Eagles 6-1 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. In doubles matches, the No. 17-ranked pair in the nation, senior Monique Albuquerque and junior Clementina Riobueno, took down Julianna Curtis and Johanna Sterkel, 8-1. 

Albuquerque was the first player to win a singles match as well, quickly defeating Curtis, 6-2, 6-2. Senior Lina Lileikite and freshman Silvia Fuentes played together for the first time this year. In their doubles match, they defeated Candela Munoz Giron and Breana Stampfli 8-2, giving Miami the doubles point. Junior Stephanie Wagner and freshman Sinead Lohan paired up for the first time this year as well.  Their match was left unfinished with the Canes’ pair leading 6-4 over Elizabeth Means and Sarah Means. The Hurricanes enter ACC play Friday against Wake Forest.

SWIMMING AND DIVING

The Hurricanes diving team finished a successful run in the four-day 2015 ACC Championships Sunday. Miami divers totaled six medals in the competition, including two gold by freshman Briadam Herrera in the 1-meter and 3-meter. There were three silver, one by Sam Dorman in the 1-meter and Thea Vock in the 1-meter and 3-meter.  Cheyenne Cousineau brought in one bronze medal in the 3-meter.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...