Sports, Swimming/Diving, Tennis

Sports Briefs 2/23

WOMEN’S TENNIS

The ninth-ranked Hurricanes Women’s tennis dominated Florida Gulf Coast University (FGCU) Friday in their final match before ACC competition.

They defeated the Eagles 6-1 at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center. In doubles matches, the No. 17-ranked pair in the nation, senior Monique Albuquerque and junior Clementina Riobueno, took down Julianna Curtis and Johanna Sterkel, 8-1. 

Albuquerque was the first player to win a singles match as well, quickly defeating Curtis, 6-2, 6-2. Senior Lina Lileikite and freshman Silvia Fuentes played together for the first time this year. In their doubles match, they defeated Candela Munoz Giron and Breana Stampfli 8-2, giving Miami the doubles point. Junior Stephanie Wagner and freshman Sinead Lohan paired up for the first time this year as well.  Their match was left unfinished with the Canes’ pair leading 6-4 over Elizabeth Means and Sarah Means. The Hurricanes enter ACC play Friday against Wake Forest.

SWIMMING AND DIVING

The Hurricanes diving team finished a successful run in the four-day 2015 ACC Championships Sunday. Miami divers totaled six medals in the competition, including two gold by freshman Briadam Herrera in the 1-meter and 3-meter. There were three silver, one by Sam Dorman in the 1-meter and Thea Vock in the 1-meter and 3-meter.  Cheyenne Cousineau brought in one bronze medal in the 3-meter.

Courtney Fiorini may be emailed at sports@themiamihurricane.com.

Courtney Fiorini

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Coach Manny Diaz said the quarterback race among Ta ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...