Community, Edge, Food

South beach festival brings treats to beach

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

The 2015 South Beach Wine & Food Festival (SOBEWFF) came to town, bringing with it a powerhouse of culinary forces including local restaurants, celebrity chefs and wines and spirits. The event was set right on the beach, allowing guests to get a taste of the sand and sea as well as the incredible array of dishes.

For those who didn’t get a chance to attend the festival, there’s still a way to try some of the best food Miami has to offer. Students can recreate the experience by ordering drinks, appetizers or smaller bites for a fraction of the festival’s ticket cost at these local spots. Here are some close-to-campus restaurants to check out from SOBEWFF 2015.

Eating House

Cuisine: Americana with a twist

Festival Dish: Mini Dirt Cup (whipped tierra nueva with brown butter caramel pretzel)

Chef: Giorgio Rapicavoli

Easy dish for students:  Fritattas – mix all kinds of leftovers with eggs to create a new dish.

Location: 804 Ponce De Leon Blvd.

Earl’s Kitchen + Bar

Cuisine: Globally inspired

Festival Dish: Tuna Tostada

Chef: Justin Draper

Favorite Dish: “Royal Burger,” a freshly baked brioche bun, patty, tomato relish, tomato aioli, mushroom ketchup, smoked cheddar and nacho cheese

Location: 7535 N. Kendall Drive, Unit 2510

The Drunken Chefs Company

Cuisine: Alcohol-infused desserts

Festival Dish: Buttery cookie with Bailey’s Irish cream, butterscotch schnapps, Beernuts, Heath bar crunch bits and butterscotch morsels

Chef: Jonathan Alexander Walkenstein

Favorite Dish: Chocolate with walnuts and bourbon with a raspberry sauce

Location: 1172 S. Dixie Hwy., Suite 481

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Two Commencement ceremonies will take place at the Watsco Center on the Coral Gables campus on Thurs ...

The investiture of the School of Law Dean Anthony E. Varona as the M. Minnette Massey Chair took pla ...

The University of Miami Frost School of Music's annual holiday event raises funds for the Donna ...

University of Miami Miller School of Medicine students hung 3,000 posters in Wynwood last weekend to ...

Life on Great Abaco Island in the Bahamas is striving to get back to normal, but the scars of Hurric ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.