Community, Edge, Food

South beach festival brings treats to beach

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

The 2015 South Beach Wine & Food Festival (SOBEWFF) came to town, bringing with it a powerhouse of culinary forces including local restaurants, celebrity chefs and wines and spirits. The event was set right on the beach, allowing guests to get a taste of the sand and sea as well as the incredible array of dishes.

For those who didn’t get a chance to attend the festival, there’s still a way to try some of the best food Miami has to offer. Students can recreate the experience by ordering drinks, appetizers or smaller bites for a fraction of the festival’s ticket cost at these local spots. Here are some close-to-campus restaurants to check out from SOBEWFF 2015.

Eating House

Cuisine: Americana with a twist

Festival Dish: Mini Dirt Cup (whipped tierra nueva with brown butter caramel pretzel)

Chef: Giorgio Rapicavoli

Easy dish for students:  Fritattas – mix all kinds of leftovers with eggs to create a new dish.

Location: 804 Ponce De Leon Blvd.

Earl’s Kitchen + Bar

Cuisine: Globally inspired

Festival Dish: Tuna Tostada

Chef: Justin Draper

Favorite Dish: “Royal Burger,” a freshly baked brioche bun, patty, tomato relish, tomato aioli, mushroom ketchup, smoked cheddar and nacho cheese

Location: 7535 N. Kendall Drive, Unit 2510

The Drunken Chefs Company

Cuisine: Alcohol-infused desserts

Festival Dish: Buttery cookie with Bailey’s Irish cream, butterscotch schnapps, Beernuts, Heath bar crunch bits and butterscotch morsels

Chef: Jonathan Alexander Walkenstein

Favorite Dish: Chocolate with walnuts and bourbon with a raspberry sauce

Location: 1172 S. Dixie Hwy., Suite 481

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...