Community, Edge, Food

South beach festival brings treats to beach

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

The 2015 South Beach Wine & Food Festival (SOBEWFF) came to town, bringing with it a powerhouse of culinary forces including local restaurants, celebrity chefs and wines and spirits. The event was set right on the beach, allowing guests to get a taste of the sand and sea as well as the incredible array of dishes.

For those who didn’t get a chance to attend the festival, there’s still a way to try some of the best food Miami has to offer. Students can recreate the experience by ordering drinks, appetizers or smaller bites for a fraction of the festival’s ticket cost at these local spots. Here are some close-to-campus restaurants to check out from SOBEWFF 2015.

Eating House

Cuisine: Americana with a twist

Festival Dish: Mini Dirt Cup (whipped tierra nueva with brown butter caramel pretzel)

Chef: Giorgio Rapicavoli

Easy dish for students:  Fritattas – mix all kinds of leftovers with eggs to create a new dish.

Location: 804 Ponce De Leon Blvd.

Earl’s Kitchen + Bar

Cuisine: Globally inspired

Festival Dish: Tuna Tostada

Chef: Justin Draper

Favorite Dish: “Royal Burger,” a freshly baked brioche bun, patty, tomato relish, tomato aioli, mushroom ketchup, smoked cheddar and nacho cheese

Location: 7535 N. Kendall Drive, Unit 2510

The Drunken Chefs Company

Cuisine: Alcohol-infused desserts

Festival Dish: Buttery cookie with Bailey’s Irish cream, butterscotch schnapps, Beernuts, Heath bar crunch bits and butterscotch morsels

Chef: Jonathan Alexander Walkenstein

Favorite Dish: Chocolate with walnuts and bourbon with a raspberry sauce

Location: 1172 S. Dixie Hwy., Suite 481

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

A six-pack of UM notes on a Monday: ▪ There has been no more popular or successful quarterback at UM ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ defense leads the nation in tackles for loss and stopping opponents on third d ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...

The Miami Hurricanes came to Toledo, Ohio for the biggest home game in the history of Toledo footbal ...

A quartet of University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes concluded the final day of compe ...