News Briefs 2/22

NEWSBRIEFS_Tug for tots

Members of the fraternity Sigma Alpha Epsilon compete in the sorority Alpha Delta Pi’s (ADPi) “Tug for Tots” competition held on the Green Friday. Proceeds from the event went to ADPi’s philanthropy, Ronald McDonald House Charities. Marwan Alenezi // Contributing Photographer 

China Film Lecture

Stanley Rosen, political science professor for the University of Southern California’s US-China Institute, will be hosting a lecture entitled, “Can China Devise a Strategy to Promote Its Films Aborad?” The event is free and open for students and faculty at 3 p.m. Wednesday in Shoma Hall 3053 in the Communication International Building. For more information, contact Marisa Hightower at mhightower@miami.edu. To RSVP, visit tinyurl.com/StanleyRosen.

Sleepy Canes

For students who don’t get enough sleep Residential Colleges will be hosting several workshops on the importance of sleeping and its link to academic performance. A workshop will be held from 8-9 p.m. Monday in the Master’s Apartment in Stanford Residential College and the Maldonado Apartment in Hecht Residential College. Students can also participate in the workshops from 8-9 p.m. Tuesday in the lobby of Eaton Residential College and from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 25 in classroom 101 of Mahoney-Pearson Residential College. For more information, including where to nap on campus, visit miami.edu/SleepyCanes.

Free STD Testing

As part of the University of Miami’s Adolescent Program, “Promote 2 Prevent,” the Student Health Service will be offering free, anonymous and confidential STD testing. The service is free and open to the community from 4-7 p.m. Tuesday in the Wellness Center.

Volunteer at Orange Festival 2015

The third annual Orange Festival will return to promote the University of Miami’s traditions and history. Local businesses will be serving orange-colored foods and student organizations will be hosting various competitions and activities. Volunteers are needed to help facilitate the event and will receive free food and orange swag. Orange Festival will take place from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday. To learn more about the event and sign up visit Facebook.com/UMOrangeFestival.

Greek and E-Week

Engineers and Greek life will be simultaneously celebrating a week of free events for students on campus.

For Greek Week’s Greekapalooza, events include a blood drive from 11 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. from Monday to Wednesday, a God and Goddesses pageant from 8-10 p.m. Tuesday and Organized Cheer from 8-10 p.m. Thursday. The money raised will be donated to the United Cerebral Palsy of South Florida. For more information visit umiamigreekweek.org.

Engineering Week will be featuring events to introduce students to the engineering community such as a concrete canoe showcase at 11 a.m. Wednesday on Lake Osceola, Introduce a Girl to Engineering Day at 8 a.m. Thursday in the SAC Ballrooms and Happ-E-Hour at 6 p.m. Friday at the Rathskeller. For more information visit coe.miami.edu/eab/eweek.html.

Alina Zerpa

Before Daniel Carter decided to sign with the Pittsburgh Panthers out of St. Thomas Aquinas, the fou ...

Lots of nuggets on new UM quarterback Tate Martell, the fallout and Jarren Williams’ reaction: ▪ Whe ...

Katie Meier is a legend at Duke. Her photo hangs in the concourse at Cameron Indoor Arena. She was t ...

New University of Miami head coach Manny Diaz was asked on the radio the morning after he was hired, ...

Jalen Hurts is off the market — and he’s not making his way to South Florida. The former Alabama Cri ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

Gisela Vega, the former associate director of LGBTQA Initiatives at Florida International University ...

With new “personas” allowing for a more personalized mobile experience, the redesigned University of ...

Teams of scholars will use U-LINK grants to examine ways to reduce opportunity gaps and biases in mu ...

Miami released its 2019 football schedule highlighted by a season-opening matchup against Florida in ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Thursday that ESPN reporter and UM alumna Allison Williams w ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...