Long road ahead to achieve total tolerance

In the past two years, the university has created two task forces that address issues involving the LGBT community and the hiring of more black faculty.

These task forces are linked in their efforts to promote the diversity at the University of Miami. The campus has ranked in the top 10 lists for its variety of cultures and perspectives and was even named the most diverse school by The Princeton Review in 2010.

These task forces will ultimately be successful if students continue to be at the heart of every decision and initiative.

For example, the LGBT task force surveyed students in spring 2014 and found surprising results about their experiences. It is shocking that about 30 percent of self-identified LGBT students do not feel safe at UM – a place that prides itself on being diverse. Another 35 percent of self-identified LGBT students have experienced negative or insulting comments because of their sexual orientation.

Others say they have never had a class taught by a black professor throughout their undergraduate careers. While the low number of black faculty is not exclusive to UM, the creation of a task force could not have come at a more opportune time.

Diversity should be a two-way street – an exchange of ideas and perspectives different from one’s own background, whether that falls along racial, religious or cultural lines.

An administration and staff that represents many backgrounds can best offer additional insight for the students who relate to them.

A collection of diverse voices drives a university experience more than any philosophy or engineering class.

Concerted efforts to increase diversity should not stop at arbitrary rankings. Diversity must be applied so that students are better equipped to work in a globalized society.

We are lucky to be a part of a campus where people come from all over the United States and abroad. Given the opportunities for intercultural interaction that surrounds us, we are as much to blame for any intolerance that undermines the goals of a well-rounded undergraduate education.

It’s up to students to maintain an open-minded attitude. Although it can seem overwhelming, organization tables at the UC breezeway make themselves seen and heard. Try talking to unfamiliar organizations and learn as much as you can from them.

As President Donna E. Shalala steps down after this semester, her successor will be charged with perpetuating the work of highlighting UM’s best and most complicated asset.

Let’s show the next president that diversity does not stop at The Princeton Review list. Diversity is defined by our interactions and experiences.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...