Edge Briefs 2/23

Frost Opera Theater

Frost Opera Theater will present “Gianni Schinni” and “Suor Angelica” at 7:30 p.m. Thursday and Saturday and 3 p.m. on March 1 at the Gusman Concert Hall.  The Opera Theater will round out its season of Puccini’s romantic masterpieces with these two one-act operas. Alan Johnson will be the music director and conductor. Tickets are $20 for adults, $15 for seniors and free for students with a Cane Card. For more information, visit miami.edu/frost. 

Art Colloquium

A Colloquium entitled “Islam,  Art,  Gender and Sexuality” will take place with professors Amanullah De Sondy and Karen Mathews at 4 p.m. on March 2 at the Lowe Art Museum. The event is free, open to the public and will seek to explore the ways in which Muslim men and women deal with issues of patriarchy, freedom of views, pluralism, race and ethnicity, censorship, and exile through gender and sexual expression in the visual arts. RSVP at as.miami.edu/religion/IAGS.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Romello Height already had a top five publicly revealed when the Miami Hurricanes finally stepped in ...

Mark Pope knows his freshman year with the Miami Hurricanes didn’t play out the way it was supposed ...

Fredrick Eaford was quick to make it clear the Miami Hurricanes were his dream team to commit to. Af ...

Linebacker might be the most important position for the Miami Hurricanes to recruit in the Class of ...

Issiah Walker Jr. won’t be at Paradise Camp on Saturday. Instead of attending the Miami Hurricanes’ ...

Some scientists fear that the new fifth generation of wireless networks interferes with critical sat ...

A new study led by Miller School professor Dr. Claes Wahlestedt observes that key molecular programs ...

Evo Morales, first elected president of Bolivia in 2005, and could win an unprecedented fourth term ...

The University of Miami Black Alumni Society is hosting a number of Juneteenth events around the cou ...

The University of Miami Rosenstiel School’s Rescue a Reef program teams up with the NFL and others t ...

Jackie Lippincott, Autumn Kramer and Meredith Costello were among the 61 student-athletes named to t ...

Renate Grimstad and Kristyna Frydlova of the University of Miami women's golf team were selecte ...

The Miami women's basketball team will face Indiana at the Watsco Center in the 2019 Big Ten/AC ...

The University of Miami volleyball program is set to host the Hurricane Invitational and nine ACC ho ...

Games will be contested July 3-14 in Naples, Italy. ...