Edge Briefs 2/23

Frost Opera Theater

Frost Opera Theater will present “Gianni Schinni” and “Suor Angelica” at 7:30 p.m. Thursday and Saturday and 3 p.m. on March 1 at the Gusman Concert Hall.  The Opera Theater will round out its season of Puccini’s romantic masterpieces with these two one-act operas. Alan Johnson will be the music director and conductor. Tickets are $20 for adults, $15 for seniors and free for students with a Cane Card. For more information, visit miami.edu/frost. 

Art Colloquium

A Colloquium entitled “Islam,  Art,  Gender and Sexuality” will take place with professors Amanullah De Sondy and Karen Mathews at 4 p.m. on March 2 at the Lowe Art Museum. The event is free, open to the public and will seek to explore the ways in which Muslim men and women deal with issues of patriarchy, freedom of views, pluralism, race and ethnicity, censorship, and exile through gender and sexual expression in the visual arts. RSVP at as.miami.edu/religion/IAGS.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...