Basketball, Sports

Canes men’s basketball team loses traction

A missed three-pointer by junior guard Angel Rodriguez could be the difference between dancing in March and falling into the National Invitation Tournament for the Hurricanes. They now sit squarely on the NCAA tournament bubble after an impressive eight-game winning streak to start the season and being ranked as high as No. 15 in the country in December.

Rodriguez’s heave with time running out against No. 12 Louisville on Saturday, with the Canes down two, had a chance to propel the team into the tournament, but instead it fell short.

Blowout losses early in the season to Green Bay and Eastern Kentucky, combined with the recent heartbreakers against Florida State, Wake Forest and Louisville in the last three weeks have Miami on the outside looking in, according to ESPN’s Joe Lunardi.

What seemed like impressive wins at Florida and at Syracuse earlier in the season now look less remarkable by the day as those two schools are suffering their worst seasons in years. The Canes still have that resounding 90-74 victory at Cameroon Indoor Stadium against No. 4 Duke to point to as proof of their quality, but that alone won’t be enough to carry the team into the tournament.

Miami’s Rating Percentage Index (RPI) currently stands in the mid-60s, right around the threshold for teams that miss the NCAA tournament. The Hurricanes, 17-10 overall and 7-7 in the ACC, only have four games remaining before the ACC tournament starts on March 10. Closing out the regular season 4-0 is a necessity now for the Canes.

Featured image courtesy Hurricane Sports

Mark Singer

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...