Academics, News

Frost Music Studios opens bigger, better building

Courtesy of Frost School of Music via Facebook

Courtesy Frost School of Music via Facebook

The Frost School of Music has received a face-lift.

On Friday, the school unveiled its new Patricia Louise Frost Music Studios, which will serve as a space for music students and faculty to practice their craft. The 41,089-square-foot building includes 77 teaching studios and two classrooms.

The studios, featuring a LEED Platinum designation for efficiency and environmental sensitivity, provide an upgrade from the previous buildings used for classrooms in the School of Music. 

“The school has grown both in its size and in the way that it provides education to the students,” Associate Dean Raul Murciano said. “…We have been in need of spaces like this really for about 30 years.”

The addition to the school will benefit Frost students with more space to play, Murciano explained.

“It will allow the School of Music to finally have facilities in the space that is commensurate with the kind of work that it does, in spite of the less-than-ideal space that we’ve had up until now,” he said. “We have been able to do more with very little then virtually anybody else. So now we will be able to do even more.”

The opening ceremonies included a performance of Joan Towers’ “Fanfare for an Uncommon Woman” by Frost students dedicated to Patricia Frost and a speech from School of Music Dean, Shelton Berg. The Frost Studios then opened for self-guided tours, with more than 300 guests from around the country present to tour the building.

Frost Music School students perform during Friday’s dedication event for the newly constructed Patricia Louise Frost Music Studios, located adjacent to the Gusman Concert Hall. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Associate Dean Steve Moore stressed the importance of having rooms with the proper acoustic and recording capabilities for music compilation.

“You don’t just take a classroom and make music in it because it has to have acoustic properties and it has to have acoustic isolation,” he said. “So that’s part of the reason that you would want to make rooms specifically conducive to music learning, and that’s part of the reason why we needed the new studios.”

Murciano said the installation of the studios will enhance the image of both Frost and the university.

“The new Frost Studios will impact the university because it will continue to raise visibility in the School of Music and by proxy the university’s image will be enhanced by that,” he said.

Jori Grossman

At 7:27 p.m Tuesday, University of Miami football coach Manny Diaz tweeted a GIF of a swirling Hurri ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ As Miami awaits decisions from its potential 2019 qua ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

University of Miami head women's volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara announced Monda ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

After a weekend bye, the Miami women's basketball team resumes action Thursday evening at 7 p.m ...

Pictures from the No. 17 Miami women's tennis team's season-opening action in the Miami Sp ...