Academics, News

Frost Music Studios opens bigger, better building

Courtesy of Frost School of Music via Facebook

Courtesy Frost School of Music via Facebook

The Frost School of Music has received a face-lift.

On Friday, the school unveiled its new Patricia Louise Frost Music Studios, which will serve as a space for music students and faculty to practice their craft. The 41,089-square-foot building includes 77 teaching studios and two classrooms.

The studios, featuring a LEED Platinum designation for efficiency and environmental sensitivity, provide an upgrade from the previous buildings used for classrooms in the School of Music. 

“The school has grown both in its size and in the way that it provides education to the students,” Associate Dean Raul Murciano said. “…We have been in need of spaces like this really for about 30 years.”

The addition to the school will benefit Frost students with more space to play, Murciano explained.

“It will allow the School of Music to finally have facilities in the space that is commensurate with the kind of work that it does, in spite of the less-than-ideal space that we’ve had up until now,” he said. “We have been able to do more with very little then virtually anybody else. So now we will be able to do even more.”

The opening ceremonies included a performance of Joan Towers’ “Fanfare for an Uncommon Woman” by Frost students dedicated to Patricia Frost and a speech from School of Music Dean, Shelton Berg. The Frost Studios then opened for self-guided tours, with more than 300 guests from around the country present to tour the building.

Frost Music School students perform during Friday’s dedication event for the newly constructed Patricia Louise Frost Music Studios, located adjacent to the Gusman Concert Hall. Nagashreyasu Chidarala // Contributing Photographer

Associate Dean Steve Moore stressed the importance of having rooms with the proper acoustic and recording capabilities for music compilation.

“You don’t just take a classroom and make music in it because it has to have acoustic properties and it has to have acoustic isolation,” he said. “So that’s part of the reason that you would want to make rooms specifically conducive to music learning, and that’s part of the reason why we needed the new studios.”

Murciano said the installation of the studios will enhance the image of both Frost and the university.

“The new Frost Studios will impact the university because it will continue to raise visibility in the School of Music and by proxy the university’s image will be enhanced by that,” he said.

Jori Grossman

The Miami Hurricanes had to adjust their offense at halftime Saturday to pull out a road win against ...

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team dropped a 75-52 decision Sunday at Iowa State in the P ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team forced No. 10 Pitt to five sets in a thrilling match on Seni ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...