Basketball, Sports

Lady Canes crumble after N.C. State comeback

After Miami went on a 19-2 run to go into halftime up 18 over N.C. State, some fans at the Reynolds Coliseum may have wanted to leave.

If they did, they missed one of the most impressive comebacks in NCAA play this season.

The Miami Hurricanes squandered a 20-point, second half lead, falling on the road at N.C. State 68-65.

“If there was one team I felt that could come back, it was them,” Coach Katie Meier said post game. “We had some seniors, some upperclassmen lose their poise, make some uncharacteristic turnovers.”

Miami (18-8, 8-5 ACC) went into the halftime break up 42-24, thanks to 17 points from Adrienne Motley, and 13 from Michelle Woods. The half ended on a three-point buzzer beater from Motley – all the momentum in Miami’s favor. The Hurricanes scored 19 points in a mere four minutes.

But N.C. State (15-11, 6-7) continually chipped away in the second half, eventually earning possession with the shot clock turned off late in the game. Out of a timeout, N.C. State’s Len’nique Brown found herself on the right wing off a double switch, and sunk a contested three over the hands of Necole Sterling – a dagger that gave the Wolfpack a 68-65 lead with 2.6 seconds remaining. Miami’s desperation three at the buzzer was on line, but short from Sterling.

Miami will return home this weekend to take on a talented North Carolina squad. “The rest of the conference season is now that much more important,” Meier said. “We have some work to do.”

AJ Ricketts

It wasn’t long ago when the Miami Hurricanes’ Class of 2020 included the top three rising senior pro ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Championship schedule is set. The No. 4 seed Miami Hurricanes ...

The first regular season of Gino DiMare’s head-coaching era ended Saturday at Mark Light Field. But ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ hopes for hosting an NCAA regional were damaged a bit on Friday night by a 12- ...

It took a long time for Dewan Hernandez to reach a point of acceptance for what happened to his juni ...

Imagine simulating diabetes, lung cancer, or heart disease on a device no larger than a credit card. ...

Alabama’s new abortion law puts the issue of women’s rights in the spotlight for the upcoming 2020 e ...

The University of Miami is shaping the future of education by using innovative approaches that drive ...

Six short films created by University of Miami film students will be screened in Los Angeles this we ...

Researchers from 16 Latin American and Caribbean countries, hosted by the Institute for the Advanced ...

Four Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the Atlantic Coast Conference Monday for their ...

The University of Miami track and field program garnered 20 entries in the 2019 NCAA East Preliminar ...

Miami's schedule features seven matches against teams that reached the NCAA Championship. ...

The Canes head to the ACC Baseball Championship ranked in the top 20 in every major poll. ...

Beatrice Mompremier of the Miami women's basketball team will once again represent her country ...