Baseball, Sports

Canes baseball drops first game of season in loss to FAU

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Despite a three-run burst late in the game, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team dropped its first contest of the season Wednesday night.

Miami fell 5-3 at FAU in a low-scoring affair that did not see the Hurricanes (4-1) score their first runs until the top of the seventh.

Freshman left fielder Carl Chester recorded his first career home run in the top of the 8th to tie the game, before FAU (4-0) quickly responded in the bottom of the inning with two runs off a wild pitch and sacrifice fly.

“They played better than we did. We made too many mistakes mentally and physically. We didn’t play well enough to win,” head coach Jim Morris said after the game.

Chester finished the game 2-5 from the plate, while infielder Edgar Michelangeli was the only other Miami player to record multiple hits, a contrast to Sunday afternoon’s slugfest against Rutgers in which the Canes plated 25 runs.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Derik Beauprez picked up the loss, lasting two innings, while giving up six hits and three earned runs, walking one, and striking out one in 44 pitches.

Following the midweek loss, Miami will now turn its attention to the No. 6 Florida Gators. Miami travels to Gainesville this weekend for its annual series with the Gators, to be televised this year by the SEC Network and broadcast on WVUM 90.5 FM.

AJ Ricketts

University of Miami fans no doubt are loving the Hurricanes’ two newest tight ends. What they’re pro ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Though UM wasn’t called for a single penalty against ...

Two of the best athletes and a freshman quarterback on the No. 21 University of Miami football team ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

NASPA names UM as a Lead Advisory Institution for the seventh year in a row. ...

The trailer for a documentary exploring the relationships between UM students and Holocaust survivor ...

New technology could help workplaces and schools identify violent intruders before they enter the do ...

The 1983 national champions will be back on campus to celebrate the 35thanniversary of Miami's ...

Junior Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team opened the 2018 fall campaign fo ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team will return to the courts Friday morning, opening up ...

The University of Miami soccer team fell to 12th-ranked Duke, 2-0, Thursday night in front a packed ...

The University of Miami volleyball program begins ACC play on Friday night against Wake Forest at 7 ...