Baseball, Sports

Canes baseball drops first game of season in loss to FAU

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Despite a three-run burst late in the game, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team dropped its first contest of the season Wednesday night.

Miami fell 5-3 at FAU in a low-scoring affair that did not see the Hurricanes (4-1) score their first runs until the top of the seventh.

Freshman left fielder Carl Chester recorded his first career home run in the top of the 8th to tie the game, before FAU (4-0) quickly responded in the bottom of the inning with two runs off a wild pitch and sacrifice fly.

“They played better than we did. We made too many mistakes mentally and physically. We didn’t play well enough to win,” head coach Jim Morris said after the game.

Chester finished the game 2-5 from the plate, while infielder Edgar Michelangeli was the only other Miami player to record multiple hits, a contrast to Sunday afternoon’s slugfest against Rutgers in which the Canes plated 25 runs.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Derik Beauprez picked up the loss, lasting two innings, while giving up six hits and three earned runs, walking one, and striking out one in 44 pitches.

Following the midweek loss, Miami will now turn its attention to the No. 6 Florida Gators. Miami travels to Gainesville this weekend for its annual series with the Gators, to be televised this year by the SEC Network and broadcast on WVUM 90.5 FM.

AJ Ricketts

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...