Baseball, Sports

Canes baseball drops first game of season in loss to FAU

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Courtesy HurricaneSports

Despite a three-run burst late in the game, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team dropped its first contest of the season Wednesday night.

Miami fell 5-3 at FAU in a low-scoring affair that did not see the Hurricanes (4-1) score their first runs until the top of the seventh.

Freshman left fielder Carl Chester recorded his first career home run in the top of the 8th to tie the game, before FAU (4-0) quickly responded in the bottom of the inning with two runs off a wild pitch and sacrifice fly.

“They played better than we did. We made too many mistakes mentally and physically. We didn’t play well enough to win,” head coach Jim Morris said after the game.

Chester finished the game 2-5 from the plate, while infielder Edgar Michelangeli was the only other Miami player to record multiple hits, a contrast to Sunday afternoon’s slugfest against Rutgers in which the Canes plated 25 runs.

Sophomore right-handed pitcher Derik Beauprez picked up the loss, lasting two innings, while giving up six hits and three earned runs, walking one, and striking out one in 44 pitches.

Following the midweek loss, Miami will now turn its attention to the No. 6 Florida Gators. Miami travels to Gainesville this weekend for its annual series with the Gators, to be televised this year by the SEC Network and broadcast on WVUM 90.5 FM.

AJ Ricketts

An asynchronous learning model provided an opportunity to create a hands-on process with a three-dimensional approach for a fall class. ...

Claire Paris-Limouzy started freediving for research and ended up becoming a record-breaking athlete who is also spearheading a Scientific Freediving program at the University. ...

Sociology scholars from around the world convened for a virtual conference hosted by the University of Miami on Thursday to explore shifting tendencies in international relocation and the implications for global social change. ...

Lauryn Williams, track and field and bobsled medalist, addressed the University community during Wednesday night’s “What Matters to U” virtual event. ...

During his appearance Tuesday on a webinar hosted by the University of Miami Patti and Allan Herbert Business School, tech mogul Eric Yuan highlighted the importance of a workplace culture of happiness and urged that businesses pay greater attention to the digital divide. ...