Basketball, Sports

Victories promise bright future

On less of a tournament bubble than the men, the Miami Hurricanes women’s basketball team faces a critical game Thursday night, on the road at NC State.

The Hurricanes (18-7, 8-4 ACC) are coming off of a dramatic victory at home against Georgia Tech. Trailing 59-49 with less than five minutes to play, Miami rattled off a 15-0 to finish the game and boost their tournament hopes.

This game followed one of the most impressive efforts of the season for Miami: a 85-67 win on the road against No. 23 Syracuse, a game Miami controlled throughout.

Sophomore Adrienne Motley scored 18 points in the win over Georgia Tech, while Michelle Woods added 13, with 10 of those coming in the final four minutes.

The Hurricanes are in a good position, with four conference games left on the schedule. With the solid nonconference performance and notable conference wins, particularly a 15-point victory over No. 4 Notre Dame, the Canes could reasonably win two of the next four and still look favorable

The win over Notre Dame was huge    Miami was the first team other than UConn to defeat the Irish in the past two years.

A home tilt with Carolina will follow the NC State game, with Wake Forest on the road and Florida State at home on senior night rounding out the regular season.

AJ Ricketts

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Monday night: ▪ FIU has decided that its Nov. 23 football game agains ...

Dewan Hernandez hit another NCAA roadblock on Monday, but the University of Miami forward will take ...

Jeff Thomas will be joining the Illinois Fighting Illini after all. After a few days of discussion a ...

While the University of Miami awaits what quarterback it will get Feb. 6 on National Signing Day, ne ...

It appears the University of Miami football program has found its answer to intelligent, energetic, ...

Grantees aim to eliminate opportunity gaps and biases in different realms and improve brain injury t ...

The film launches the 2019 film series for the UM Libraries Cuban Heritage Collection. ...

Here’s a go-to list of dates you should keep an eye on throughout the semester, along with some tidb ...

For more than 77 years, UM Hillel has provided a vibrant and diverse “home-away-from-home” that is f ...

University of Miami experts weigh in on the largest increase in carbon emissions in eight years. ...

The University of Miami football program has hired Dan Enos as its offensive coordinator and quarter ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team wrapped up play on its first weekend of competition Sunday ...

University of Miami Athletics announced Monday that it will host its fifth annual Celebration of Wom ...

The University of Miami men's tennis team wrapped up play at the Miami Spring Invite Sunday, wi ...

Chris Lykes scored 25 points as Miami got past Wake Forest. ...