Basketball, Sports

Victories promise bright future

On less of a tournament bubble than the men, the Miami Hurricanes women’s basketball team faces a critical game Thursday night, on the road at NC State.

The Hurricanes (18-7, 8-4 ACC) are coming off of a dramatic victory at home against Georgia Tech. Trailing 59-49 with less than five minutes to play, Miami rattled off a 15-0 to finish the game and boost their tournament hopes.

This game followed one of the most impressive efforts of the season for Miami: a 85-67 win on the road against No. 23 Syracuse, a game Miami controlled throughout.

Sophomore Adrienne Motley scored 18 points in the win over Georgia Tech, while Michelle Woods added 13, with 10 of those coming in the final four minutes.

The Hurricanes are in a good position, with four conference games left on the schedule. With the solid nonconference performance and notable conference wins, particularly a 15-point victory over No. 4 Notre Dame, the Canes could reasonably win two of the next four and still look favorable

The win over Notre Dame was huge    Miami was the first team other than UConn to defeat the Irish in the past two years.

A home tilt with Carolina will follow the NC State game, with Wake Forest on the road and Florida State at home on senior night rounding out the regular season.

AJ Ricketts

The Asa Martin era for the Miami Hurricanes might be coming to an end just six months after it began ...

Avantae Williams and Lorenzo Lingard punctuated Paradise Camp with a chest bump. The Miami Hurricane ...

Sebastian the Ibis of the University of Miami displayed tremendous defense in leading the Pizza Hut ...

June is one of the most important months in the recruiting calendar and the Miami Hurricanes finishe ...

A six-pack of notes from UM’s annual Paradise Camp on Saturday: ▪ Few Canes greats have as unique a ...

Alumna Lauren Crotty reflects on her undergraduate experience and the path that lead her to signing ...

The U.S. women’s national soccer team, competing for the World Cup in France, is entrenched in a cou ...

In the first course of its kind on a college campus, faculty, staff, and students will learn if they ...

University of Miami Libraries is working to establish a University archive of LGBTQ materials. ...

University of Miami football players and coaches mentored area youth at a free football clinic in Ho ...

Five members of the Miami women's tennis team earned All-ACC Academic Team distinction, as anno ...

Eight Miami Hurricanes were among those recognized by the conference with selections to the Track an ...

Franco Aubone and Francisco Bastias of the University of Miami men's tennis team were selected ...

UM forward Dewan Hernandez was selected 59th overall by the Toronto Raptors in the 2019 NBA Draft. ...

Check out the June edition of UM Athletics' e-magazine. ...