Basketball, Sports

Victories promise bright future

On less of a tournament bubble than the men, the Miami Hurricanes women’s basketball team faces a critical game Thursday night, on the road at NC State.

The Hurricanes (18-7, 8-4 ACC) are coming off of a dramatic victory at home against Georgia Tech. Trailing 59-49 with less than five minutes to play, Miami rattled off a 15-0 to finish the game and boost their tournament hopes.

This game followed one of the most impressive efforts of the season for Miami: a 85-67 win on the road against No. 23 Syracuse, a game Miami controlled throughout.

Sophomore Adrienne Motley scored 18 points in the win over Georgia Tech, while Michelle Woods added 13, with 10 of those coming in the final four minutes.

The Hurricanes are in a good position, with four conference games left on the schedule. With the solid nonconference performance and notable conference wins, particularly a 15-point victory over No. 4 Notre Dame, the Canes could reasonably win two of the next four and still look favorable

The win over Notre Dame was huge    Miami was the first team other than UConn to defeat the Irish in the past two years.

A home tilt with Carolina will follow the NC State game, with Wake Forest on the road and Florida State at home on senior night rounding out the regular season.

AJ Ricketts

The United States Postal Service features Emilio Sanchez, the first Cuban American visual artist to be recognized in a new series of Forever stamps. ...

With the first elevated concrete floor deck poured last week, the Frost Institute of Chemistry and Molecular Science is on pace to open in the summer of 2022. ...

In a new study that scrutinized the speech patterns of Freddie Mercury, Michael Phelps, and other celebrities, University of Miami researchers offer insights on how diet ultimately reshapes language. ...

The multidisciplinary forum in April will explore lessons learned from the regions. There is a call for papers to be presented, but abstracts must be submitted by Jan. 17. ...

Former executive vice president John L. Green Jr., who helped launch the University’s football dynasty with two key coaching hires, passed away this month. ...