Edge, Theater

Senior produces play without ‘Assistance’

EDGE_Rehearsal 2

Senior Chris Goodrich directs “Assistance,” a student led production, Tuesday evening in the Theater Department. After five weeks of rehearsal, the show will premeire 6 p.m. Sunday at the School of Communication Studio A. Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

There is a beautiful irony about a production of a play entitled “Assistance” being entirely student-driven.

For the past month, senior musical theatre major Chris Goodrich and a cast of six actors and actresses have taken on the challenge of mounting an independent performance of Leslye Headland’s 2008 workplace comedy. The student-led show will run at 6 p.m. Sunday at the School of Communication in Studio A.

“It’s a story about the personal assistants of a complete nightmare boss, Daniel Weisinger, and the scramble to keep their dream job,” said Goodrich, the director of the play.

Goodrich, with the encouragement of some of his conservatory classmates, decided to present “Assistance” as a passion project outside of the requirements of any class or department-sponsored show. He was immediately drawn to the script for this project.

“This was the perfect play,” Goodrich said about his decision. “It’s written for young actors, it’s hilarious, and it doesn’t need a ton of tech.”

This isn’t Goodrich’s first stint in the director’s chair. He has previously directed a one-act play written by Shel Silverstein and “a dramatic, spy film version of ‘Green Eggs and Ham,’” as well as taken a directing class at the university.

However, a larger-scale production like “Assistance” has presented its own difficulties. The cast rehearses weekdays, nights and weekends, which can be exhausting for actors trying to balance daily schoolwork with their “night jobs.”

“The most challenging part is the scheduling,” Goodrich said. “I never want to waste anyone’s time, but that’s inevitable in a difficult rehearsal.”

Still, Goodrich strives to create a collaborative atmosphere in rehearsals, particularly because he is working with his peers.

“I encourage everyone to bring their creativity to the process,” he said. “I want rehearsal to be fun, but also intense – truly challenging at times so that I can push people to their greatest potential. I try to shape people’s instincts.”

While the vast majority of the project has been unsupervised by faculty, Goodrich did enlist a few trusted outside eyes to critique the production in its final stages.

“I invited professors to watch rehearsal and give notes,” he said. “… I really respect their input and their understanding of the actors.”

With just days before the Sunday performance, Goodrich is confident that his cast has created a production to be proud of.

“You should see the fantastic work of a bunch of talented actors,” he said. “This play is all their work, and I’m blown away by it every day.”

If You Go:

What: “Assistance”

When: 6 p.m. Sunday

Where: University of Miami School Of Communication, Studio A

Cost: Free

Madelyn Paquette

June is a huge recruiting month for the Miami Hurricanes. It concludes with Paradise Camp on June 22 ...

The University of Miami showed women’s basketball coach Katie Meier how much it appreciates her on F ...

Frank Garis first watched Jalen Rivers from the opposite sideline, and the offensive lineman was imp ...

George Stewart had a big problem, and little time to solve it. It was Week 6 of the 2018 season, and ...

One of the interesting subplots of this Hurricanes season will be watching the evolution of a bunch ...

The Emmy Award-winning journalist, who grew up in Miami and started her career in Spanish language t ...

Nursing researchers and music therapists test a simple and cost-effective way of motivating critical ...

The University of Miami Libraries offer readers multiple ways to access the books, which are popular ...

Rosenstiel School researcher Martin Grosell weighs in on how marine life in the Gulf could be affect ...

Varona, an attorney and educator who specializes in administrative law, communications and media law ...

University of Miami Director of Athletics Blake James announced Friday a contract extension for head ...

Adrian Del Castillo garnered his second Freshman All-America honor of the year, appearing on the Per ...

Two-time Miami women's basketball team co-captain Laura Cornelius is set to start her professio ...

Courtney spent nine years previously on Jim Larranaga's staff from 1996-2005. ...

The University of Miami track and field program received 17 All-America honors at the conclusion of ...