Edge, Theater

Senior produces play without ‘Assistance’

EDGE_Rehearsal 2

Senior Chris Goodrich directs “Assistance,” a student led production, Tuesday evening in the Theater Department. After five weeks of rehearsal, the show will premeire 6 p.m. Sunday at the School of Communication Studio A. Ashley Martinez // Edge Editor

There is a beautiful irony about a production of a play entitled “Assistance” being entirely student-driven.

For the past month, senior musical theatre major Chris Goodrich and a cast of six actors and actresses have taken on the challenge of mounting an independent performance of Leslye Headland’s 2008 workplace comedy. The student-led show will run at 6 p.m. Sunday at the School of Communication in Studio A.

“It’s a story about the personal assistants of a complete nightmare boss, Daniel Weisinger, and the scramble to keep their dream job,” said Goodrich, the director of the play.

Goodrich, with the encouragement of some of his conservatory classmates, decided to present “Assistance” as a passion project outside of the requirements of any class or department-sponsored show. He was immediately drawn to the script for this project.

“This was the perfect play,” Goodrich said about his decision. “It’s written for young actors, it’s hilarious, and it doesn’t need a ton of tech.”

This isn’t Goodrich’s first stint in the director’s chair. He has previously directed a one-act play written by Shel Silverstein and “a dramatic, spy film version of ‘Green Eggs and Ham,’” as well as taken a directing class at the university.

However, a larger-scale production like “Assistance” has presented its own difficulties. The cast rehearses weekdays, nights and weekends, which can be exhausting for actors trying to balance daily schoolwork with their “night jobs.”

“The most challenging part is the scheduling,” Goodrich said. “I never want to waste anyone’s time, but that’s inevitable in a difficult rehearsal.”

Still, Goodrich strives to create a collaborative atmosphere in rehearsals, particularly because he is working with his peers.

“I encourage everyone to bring their creativity to the process,” he said. “I want rehearsal to be fun, but also intense – truly challenging at times so that I can push people to their greatest potential. I try to shape people’s instincts.”

While the vast majority of the project has been unsupervised by faculty, Goodrich did enlist a few trusted outside eyes to critique the production in its final stages.

“I invited professors to watch rehearsal and give notes,” he said. “… I really respect their input and their understanding of the actors.”

With just days before the Sunday performance, Goodrich is confident that his cast has created a production to be proud of.

“You should see the fantastic work of a bunch of talented actors,” he said. “This play is all their work, and I’m blown away by it every day.”

If You Go:

What: “Assistance”

When: 6 p.m. Sunday

Where: University of Miami School Of Communication, Studio A

Cost: Free

Madelyn Paquette

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

Shaquille Quarterman waited less than 24 hours after Michael Pinckney announced he was returning for ...

A six-pack of Canes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ Two highly skilled receivers who ended last season frust ...

Whenever quarterback Tate Martell hurls a football to University of Miami slot receiver Mike Harley, ...

Manny Diaz is the dealer. The pusher. He is good at this. Really good. And what he is selling, we ar ...

The Liaison Committee on Medical Education approved plans developed by the Miller School of Medicine ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

Muslim Students of the University of Miami will hold a prayer service at 12:45 p.m. Friday at the La ...

The theme of the 48th annual Women’s Commission Breakfast keynote address, delivered by Dean Laura K ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opens NCAA Tournament play on its home court fo ...

Make no mistake about it – the college paths of this dynamic Miami offensive duo are as stark in con ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg captured the first NCAA postseason recognition o ...

It is hard not to think of Miami's Amy Deem when you think of trail blazers in the track and f ...

Friday will be the Breast Cancer Awareness Pink Game, while Saturday is Bark in the Park. ...