Media must stay fact-focused to maintain trust

The media industry suffered major setbacks last week.

On one end, acclaimed journalists David Carr from The New York Times and Bob Simon from “60 Minutes” passed away. But at the center of these real tragedies, NBC suspended “Nightly News” anchor Brian Williams when he apologized on air for embellishing his experiences reporting the Iraq War in 2003.

Williams’ apology sparked a firestorm of criticism. Comedian Jon Stewart, who also announced he will leave “The Daily Show,” joked that Williams caught a case of “infotainment confusion syndrome.”

Though a bit exaggerated, Stewart’s point makes clear that Williams may have allowed his public persona to affect his ability to report the news. He is one example of the worrisome relationship between news and entertainment that affects the public’s perception of the media.

The public’s distrust of mass media outlets continues to grow. The latest Gallup poll on this subject reported that 40 percent of Americans had complete faith in the media, while 60 percent had the opposite perspective.

Williams is also not the first and certainly won’t be the last to make this kind of mistake. He joins the same club as CBS News anchor Dan Rather and CNN’s John King – journalists who both made huge blunders in covering significant stories involving George W. Bush and the Boston Marathon, respectively.

We do not expect journalists to be perfect – they are humans, too. In fact, we were shocked and disappointed to hear that Williams had lied about his involvement in high-profile stories. He had established himself as one of the most credible and personable reporters.

Lester Holt said it best in his first newscast after replacing Brian, “Brian is a member of our family but so are you, our viewers, and we will work every night to be worthy of your trust.”

For Williams, his pursuit of charisma and charm may have come at the expense of his credibility. He will have to dedicate the rest of his career to making a comeback and once again placing himself in the public’s trust.

Nevertheless, the network deserves part of the blame for not addressing the situation.

NBC was blissfully ignorant to Williams’ different versions of the same story. And, even when they were made aware by a public apology, they only decided to take action after Williams apologized on air. Whether or not NBC turned a blind eye to  its star anchor, the network should be held accountable for not immediately addressing the situation.

NBC should have reacted the way CBS did when they were faced with a similar situation with Rather. In 2004, both the anchor and the network’s president, Andrew Heyward, issued an apology for relying on unverified documents claiming that President Bush received favorable treatment in the National Guard.

Major news outlets should prevent their anchors from becoming too recognizable of a figure. They should also stay away from allowing their anchors too much autonomy. Likewise, the anchors should remain level headed and avoid any kind of attention that undermines what should be their sole mission: to report the news accurately and fairly.

We believe Williams will get his second chance and return repentant for his actions. Let’s hope all news networks heed his example and prevent this from happening in the future.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Miami Law’s Frances Hill answers key questions about the National Emergencies Act. ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...