Campus Life, News

Landscape changes in works

Rendering courtesy University of Miami

Rendering courtesy University of Miami

In an unassuming, box-shaped building just off of the University of Miami campus, a team of university employees is planning what the campus will look like in five years.

By 2020, the Campus Planning and Development Department envisions a pedestrian bridge by the Lakeside Patio, a parking garage next to Pavia Garage, a residential hall near the BankUnited Center and a wider walking path around Lake Osceola.

Janet Gavarrete, Associate vice President of Campus Planning and Development, explained how she and her team make changes depending on what has worked in the past and what the campus needs in the future to create “a more livable, enjoyable, practical and safer” campus.

But planning so many projects involves multiple moving pieces and is puzzling to Gavarrete and her colleagues.

The first pieces that need to be laid down are the lake pathway enhancements and a pedestrian bridge connecting the Lakeside Patio to the area by the Eaton Residential College parking lot.

“We need to plan well in advance, because when we have more people living on campus, we’re going to have more people walking on campus, and so we’re going to need more room to walk, just like we need more room to teach,” Gavarrete said.

Gavarrete added that a pedestrian bridge is treated “like a facility for the campus – like a building.”

The broader pathways, which the department hopes to expand to about 15 feet around most of the lake, and new bridge are “vital” for the campus. The wider pathways and bridge are expected to be complete by the start of 2016. Without them, the next planned project (the Merrick Garage that will stand next to Pavia Garage) would be impossible.

The Merrick Garage will add approximately 860 parking spaces. They are needed so that patients of the under-construction Lennar Foundation Medical Center can park at the Ponce de Leon Garage next to the Flipse Building.

Students who park at the Ponce de Leon Garage would start parking at the Merrick and Pavia Garages, which would increase the amount of foot traffic from those garages to the University Center and Student Activities Center. The garage is slated for completion in 2016.

The new residential hall by the Fieldhouse and Rhodes House will add around 1,000 beds for students, bringing the total number of students living on campus to 5,200.

The campus currently houses about 3,600 students living throughout the five residential colleges: Eaton, Mahoney, Pearson, Hecht and Stanford.

Gavarrete hopes to have housing finished by 2018.

This five-year development plan will then allow the Campus Planning Department to take down the Hecht and Stanford residential colleges, which house first-year students, in its next five-year plan.

William Riggin

For the first time since Mark Richt benched N’Kosi Perry for Malik Rosier in the Miami Hurricanes’ l ...

The Miami Hurricanes’ offense has struggled for about a month now and Saturday there was no bigger c ...

Thoughts and postscripts after UM’s 27-21 loss at Georgia Tech on Saturday: ▪ If Mark Richt intends ...

The Miami Hurricanes have spiraled into a deep dive, with little time left to surface for air. In a ...

When Jack Spicer first booted away a 38-yard punt early in the second quarter against the Georgia Te ...

Get set for a whirlwind of information on critical issues facing the planet and how to tell those st ...

Professors and staff from UM are offering students an in-class introduction to gardening and food pr ...

The 2018 midterm election shifts the balance of power in Congress, with women playing a huge role. ...

UM alumna, one-time Miami Dolphins cheerleader, and National Geographic explorer Mireya Mayor lives ...

The “It’s On Us” Student Ambassador Program empowers peers to overcome sexual misconduct and gender ...

The Hurricanes advance to the Preseason WNIT semifinals. ...

The University of Miami volleyball team fell to North Carolina, 3-1, on Veteran's Day at Carmic ...

The No. 25/24 Miami women's basketball team will resume play in the Preseason WNIT Sunday after ...

The Hurricanes fall to Georgia Tech in Atlanta Saturday night. ...

Freshmen Franco Aubone and Kaya Gore of the University of Miami men's tennis team captured a do ...