Campus Life, News

Landscape changes in works

Rendering courtesy University of Miami

Rendering courtesy University of Miami

In an unassuming, box-shaped building just off of the University of Miami campus, a team of university employees is planning what the campus will look like in five years.

By 2020, the Campus Planning and Development Department envisions a pedestrian bridge by the Lakeside Patio, a parking garage next to Pavia Garage, a residential hall near the BankUnited Center and a wider walking path around Lake Osceola.

Janet Gavarrete, Associate vice President of Campus Planning and Development, explained how she and her team make changes depending on what has worked in the past and what the campus needs in the future to create “a more livable, enjoyable, practical and safer” campus.

But planning so many projects involves multiple moving pieces and is puzzling to Gavarrete and her colleagues.

The first pieces that need to be laid down are the lake pathway enhancements and a pedestrian bridge connecting the Lakeside Patio to the area by the Eaton Residential College parking lot.

“We need to plan well in advance, because when we have more people living on campus, we’re going to have more people walking on campus, and so we’re going to need more room to walk, just like we need more room to teach,” Gavarrete said.

Gavarrete added that a pedestrian bridge is treated “like a facility for the campus – like a building.”

The broader pathways, which the department hopes to expand to about 15 feet around most of the lake, and new bridge are “vital” for the campus. The wider pathways and bridge are expected to be complete by the start of 2016. Without them, the next planned project (the Merrick Garage that will stand next to Pavia Garage) would be impossible.

The Merrick Garage will add approximately 860 parking spaces. They are needed so that patients of the under-construction Lennar Foundation Medical Center can park at the Ponce de Leon Garage next to the Flipse Building.

Students who park at the Ponce de Leon Garage would start parking at the Merrick and Pavia Garages, which would increase the amount of foot traffic from those garages to the University Center and Student Activities Center. The garage is slated for completion in 2016.

The new residential hall by the Fieldhouse and Rhodes House will add around 1,000 beds for students, bringing the total number of students living on campus to 5,200.

The campus currently houses about 3,600 students living throughout the five residential colleges: Eaton, Mahoney, Pearson, Hecht and Stanford.

Gavarrete hopes to have housing finished by 2018.

This five-year development plan will then allow the Campus Planning Department to take down the Hecht and Stanford residential colleges, which house first-year students, in its next five-year plan.

William Riggin

The University of Miami spring game will not be televised or streamed live on the Internet at noon S ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Thursday: ▪ Who were UM’s standouts this spring, heading into Sa ...

As the Miami Hurricanes have spent the spring trying to find answers to question after question on o ...

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

Following a 4-1 victory over No. 13-seed Virginia Tech Thursday in its ACC Championship opener, the ...

The fifth-seeded Miami women's tennis team started ACC Championship competition with a 4-1 vict ...

The Hurricanes will battle fourth-seed NC State in the quarterfinals Friday at 9 a.m. ...

The Canes made a late charge, but fell short at No. 8 Louisville 7-5 ...

Because of expected inclement weather, Thursday's game time has been moved up one hour to 5 p.m ...