Expand cultural boundaries with campus events

Upon entering the University of Miami, students are encouraged to diversify their college experience. Numerous student organizations and events at the University of Miami provide the opportunity for us to do so. Cultural celebrations on campus increase the awareness of diversity within the student body. Such examples include the Lunar New Year, Hispanic Heritage Month and Black Awareness Month (observed in February).

These organizations go to great lengths to make their programs exciting and impactful, not only for their members, but also for the whole UM community. However, the majority of people who attend these celebrations identify with that race or ethnic group.

In order to truly diversify our college experience, we should take advantage of all cultural celebrations on campus. At no other time in our lives will we have the same level of access to people from every edge of the world. It’s easy to want to keep to ourselves. We are creatures of comfort who like to surround ourselves with the familiar. However, in order to thrive within an increasingly globalized society, we have to be able to easily connect with all types of people.

The next time there is an event hosted by United Black Students, Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos, or any other cultural organization on campus, take a chance and join in. You have nothing to lose by participating in a group that celebrates their heritage. By going to these events, you have the opportunity to step out of your comfort zone in order to experience a different perspective. That, as well as these celebrations, is a great way to meet people and make friendship that you may not find elsewhere.

This semester, broaden your mind by participating in a culture other than your own.

Taylor Duckett is a senior majoring in business law.

Taylor Duckett

UM was very fortunate that junior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Mike Pinckney and Zach McCloud a ...

Hard Rock Stadium will be filled with Miami fans — and probably only Miami fans — when the two colle ...

They made school history on Sunday with a nationally-televised road upset of No. 2 Louisville, and o ...

Mark Walton, the former University of Miami star football player and current Cincinnati Bengal, was ...

Don Chaney Jr. says his recruitment is over and the way he talks about the Miami Hurricanes, it’s ea ...

Researcher Rebecca Bulotsky Shearer is leading a study aimed at increasing the number of kids who ar ...

UM alumna Alina Mayo Azze, who has covered a myriad of topics during her 37-year career, has been a ...

Happiness and well-being scholar Tal Ben-Shahar is UM’s newest Distinguished Presidential Scholar. ...

UM experts react to a new ban that prohibits people in Key West from using certain types of sunscree ...

The No. 20 Miami women's basketball team stormed back from a 14-point deficit to pick up the bi ...

Hours after garnering espnW National Player of the Week distinction, Emese Hof of the Miami women ...

For the second straight Monday, a member of the Miami women's basketball team has earned a nati ...

Brian Van Belle struck out five over six shutout innings to help the Canes sweep Rutgers on opening ...

The No. 25-ranked University of Miami golf team moved up two spots on Monday's leaderboard at t ...