Expand cultural boundaries with campus events

Upon entering the University of Miami, students are encouraged to diversify their college experience. Numerous student organizations and events at the University of Miami provide the opportunity for us to do so. Cultural celebrations on campus increase the awareness of diversity within the student body. Such examples include the Lunar New Year, Hispanic Heritage Month and Black Awareness Month (observed in February).

These organizations go to great lengths to make their programs exciting and impactful, not only for their members, but also for the whole UM community. However, the majority of people who attend these celebrations identify with that race or ethnic group.

In order to truly diversify our college experience, we should take advantage of all cultural celebrations on campus. At no other time in our lives will we have the same level of access to people from every edge of the world. It’s easy to want to keep to ourselves. We are creatures of comfort who like to surround ourselves with the familiar. However, in order to thrive within an increasingly globalized society, we have to be able to easily connect with all types of people.

The next time there is an event hosted by United Black Students, Federacion de Estudiantes Cubanos, or any other cultural organization on campus, take a chance and join in. You have nothing to lose by participating in a group that celebrates their heritage. By going to these events, you have the opportunity to step out of your comfort zone in order to experience a different perspective. That, as well as these celebrations, is a great way to meet people and make friendship that you may not find elsewhere.

This semester, broaden your mind by participating in a culture other than your own.

Taylor Duckett is a senior majoring in business law.

Taylor Duckett

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Miami Hurricanes are honoring their 1983 nation ...

With Jaquan Johnson still sidelined with a hamstring strain he suffered on Saturday against Toledo, ...

The Miami Hurricanes are running low on tight ends. But their receivers — notably sophomore speedste ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ The pretty even split of carries between Travis Homer ...

The University of Miami has lost another player to surgery, and the depth was already lacking at thi ...

New technology could help schools identify shooters and other intruders before they enter the door. ...

A University of Miami professor has created software to detect fraud in standardized tests. ...

UM President Julio Frenk outlined the strategies of the Roadmap to Our New Century, part of his Stat ...

Students attending Monday night's State of the U address by UM President Julio Frenk offer thei ...

At UM’s inaugural State of the U address, President Julio Frenk detailed the strategies of the Roadm ...

Through three games, Miami is No. 1 in the country in tackles for loss and the entire Hurricanes def ...

Jeff Thomas may be quiet off the field, but the sophomore has been consistently making lots of noise ...

The University of Miami soccer team is set to return to Cobb Stadium, where it will host No. 12 Duke ...

The Atlantic Coast Conference announced Tuesday the league slate for the upcoming 2018-19 season. ...

Miami remained ranked in both major polls Sunday, checking in at No. 21 in the Associated Press Top ...