Culture

Edge Briefs 2/19

‘The Women’

“The Women,” a mid-20th century play featuring an all-female cast of 20, opened Wednesday at the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre.  The show follows a group of five friends in the 1930s as they confront the obstacles of Manhattan’s upper-class society and being a woman during the time period. It will run through Feb. 28. For showtimes, visit as.miami.edu/ringtheatre/2014-15-season/.

Cosford Screening

This week, the Cosford Cinema will be playing “Match” at 6:30 p.m. Friday, 3:15 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, and 2 p.m. and 6:15 p.m.  Sunday. “Human Capital” will screen at 8:30 p.m. Friday, 1 p.m. and 5:15 p.m. Saturday,  and 4 p.m. and 8:15 p.m. Sunday. “Interstellar” will play at 9:30 p.m. Saturday. For more information, visit cosfordcinema.com.

Art Colloquium

A Colloquium entitled “Islam,  Art,  Gender and Sexuality” will take place with professors Amanullah De Sondy and Karen Mathews at 4 p.m. March 2 at the Lowe Art Museum. The event is free, open to the public and will seek to explore the ways in which Muslim men and women deal with issues of patriarchy, freedom of views, pluralism, race and ethnicity, censorship, and exile through gender and sexual expression in the visual arts. RSVP at as.miami.edu/religion/IAGS.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

Caribbean experts assessed the coronavirus’s impact on the region in a webinar on Nov. 19 hosted by the University of Miami Institute for Advanced Study of the Americas. ...

A project on race, housing, and displacement in Miami connects past patterns of discrimination to modern disparities. ...

United Black Students and the Black Student Athlete Alliance, in partnership with the University of Miami administration, mobilize to honor the lives lost due to police brutality. ...

As students and faculty and staff members prepare to wrap up the Fall 2020 semester, here’s a look at the availability of facilities and services during the break. ...

The University of Miami president called for increased cooperation, new powers for the World Health Organization, and transparency incentives as critical to manage and mitigate future health outbreaks. ...