Edge Briefs 2/19

‘The Women’

“The Women,” a mid-20th century play featuring an all-female cast of 20, opened Wednesday at the Jerry Herman Ring Theatre.  The show follows a group of five friends in the 1930s as they confront the obstacles of Manhattan’s upper-class society and being a woman during the time period. It will run through Feb. 28. For showtimes, visit as.miami.edu/ringtheatre/2014-15-season/.

Cosford Screening

This week, the Cosford Cinema will be playing “Match” at 6:30 p.m. Friday, 3:15 p.m. and 7:30 p.m. Saturday, and 2 p.m. and 6:15 p.m.  Sunday. “Human Capital” will screen at 8:30 p.m. Friday, 1 p.m. and 5:15 p.m. Saturday,  and 4 p.m. and 8:15 p.m. Sunday. “Interstellar” will play at 9:30 p.m. Saturday. For more information, visit cosfordcinema.com.

Art Colloquium

A Colloquium entitled “Islam,  Art,  Gender and Sexuality” will take place with professors Amanullah De Sondy and Karen Mathews at 4 p.m. March 2 at the Lowe Art Museum. The event is free, open to the public and will seek to explore the ways in which Muslim men and women deal with issues of patriarchy, freedom of views, pluralism, race and ethnicity, censorship, and exile through gender and sexual expression in the visual arts. RSVP at as.miami.edu/religion/IAGS.

Ashley Martinez may be emailed at edge@themiamihurricane.com.

Ashley Martinez

Ashley Martinez is a senior majoring in journalism and psychology, which have sharpened her people-watching skills. She has worked as a staff writer, copy editor, assistant editor and is now the Edge arts and entertainment editor at The Miami Hurricane. She serves as the president of UM's chapter of the Society of Professional Journalists. Her work has been featured in The Hurricane, Distraction Magazine, The Communique, Gables Home Page and The Miami Herald. When she's not working on a story, she loves going to the theatre and singing show tunes.

The University of Miami’s Cuban Heritage Collection will host its third New Directions in Cuban Stud ...

The University of Miami is naming its business school in honor of Patti and Allan Herbert for their ...

Lucha Latina celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month by highlighting Central American culture. ...

The Frost School of Music’s Valerie Coleman, who heads to Carnegie Hall tonight with the Philadelphi ...

Engineering students at the University of Miami combine inventive materials with a new construction ...

RSS Error: A feed could not be found at http://www.hurricanesports.com/rss.aspx. A feed with an invalid mime type may fall victim to this error, or SimplePie was unable to auto-discover it.. Use force_feed() if you are certain this URL is a real feed.