Sports, Tennis

Companionship strengthens team

It has been a relaxing two weeks for UM’s women’s tennis squad, who retains a top-10 ITA ranking for the second week in a row during a much-needed bye week after a grueling weekend at the ITA National Indoor Collegiate Championships.

This weekend, the No. 9-ranked Hurricanes take on the unranked FGCU Eagles before ACC play begins on Feb. 27. This is their highest ranking since February of last year.

The Hurricanes, who are 3-2 in the spring season, are one of three ACC teams in the top 10. Their only two losses are to teams that have had No. 1 rankings (UCLA and North Carolina). One of their wins was against No. 7 Alabama.

“Having played number one, three and seven in the nation [last]weekend just makes a team stronger.” Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews told Hurricanesports.com. “We learned so much about this team and I’m looking forward to an amazing season.”

The key to Miami’s continued success lies in the companionship between upper and underclassmen. Breakout freshman Sinead Lohan and Wendy Zhang are ranked No. 36 and No. 98, respectively, and also combine as a No. 57-ranked doubles duo. Their surging triumphs must be matched by veterans such as No. 8 Stephanie Wagner and doubles teams of Wagner and Lina Lileikite, currently No. 10, along with Clementina Riobueno and Monique Albuquerque who clock in at No. 17.

The Hurricanes will take on FGCU at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center at 4 p.m this Friday, Feb. 20.

Featured image courtesy Hurricane Sports

Alexa Pappas

Navaughn Donaldson knew one thing mattered above all when he was forced to start playing center ahea ...

This spring hasn’t been easy for Miami redshirt sophomore Tate Martell, the former Ohio State quarte ...

The 2019-20 college basketball season is more than six months away, but the University of Miami Hurr ...

The University of Miami spring game Saturday will be here before you know it, and right about now, c ...

With about a third of the regular season left, the Miami Hurricanes baseball team is on the rise and ...

The Division of Student Affairs hosted a reception to present campus-wide awards and scholarships to ...

The University of Miami celebrates Earth Day with a host of activities at or near the Lakeside Patio ...

The nation’s oldest and most-widely known academic honor society inducted 45 students from the Colle ...

For the second installment of its “What Matters to U” lecture series, Student Government invited act ...

There is at least one member of House Hurricane in the Seven Kingdoms: alumnus David Nutter, who sha ...

The Canes will battle the Cardinals this weekend in a battle of ranked ACC foes. ...

Michelle Atherley earned the University of Miami track and field program's fourth ACC outdoor h ...

Canes' recruiting class now stands 25th in 247Sports Composite Ranking. ...

Miami head women's basketball coach Katie Meier announced Wednesday the signing of Moulayna Joh ...

The fifth-seeded and No. 21-ranked Miami women's tennis team begins ACC Championship action Thu ...