Sports, Tennis

Companionship strengthens team

It has been a relaxing two weeks for UM’s women’s tennis squad, who retains a top-10 ITA ranking for the second week in a row during a much-needed bye week after a grueling weekend at the ITA National Indoor Collegiate Championships.

This weekend, the No. 9-ranked Hurricanes take on the unranked FGCU Eagles before ACC play begins on Feb. 27. This is their highest ranking since February of last year.

The Hurricanes, who are 3-2 in the spring season, are one of three ACC teams in the top 10. Their only two losses are to teams that have had No. 1 rankings (UCLA and North Carolina). One of their wins was against No. 7 Alabama.

“Having played number one, three and seven in the nation [last]weekend just makes a team stronger.” Head Coach Paige Yaroshuk-Tews told Hurricanesports.com. “We learned so much about this team and I’m looking forward to an amazing season.”

The key to Miami’s continued success lies in the companionship between upper and underclassmen. Breakout freshman Sinead Lohan and Wendy Zhang are ranked No. 36 and No. 98, respectively, and also combine as a No. 57-ranked doubles duo. Their surging triumphs must be matched by veterans such as No. 8 Stephanie Wagner and doubles teams of Wagner and Lina Lileikite, currently No. 10, along with Clementina Riobueno and Monique Albuquerque who clock in at No. 17.

The Hurricanes will take on FGCU at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center at 4 p.m this Friday, Feb. 20.

Featured image courtesy Hurricane Sports

Alexa Pappas

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ If N’Kosi Perry starts against North Carolina — as ma ...

Want a hot topic at the University of Miami? Quarterbacks. Want a hot unit? Defense. While Hurricane ...

The quarterback topic never gets old at the University of Miami, especially this week, when Hurrican ...

Mark Richt did what many of us expected Tuesday morning at the University of Miami’s Greentree Field ...

If redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry is starting Thursday night for the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes against ...

Theatre arts students open the Ring Theatre’s 2018-19 season with a tribute to the creative genius w ...

UM representatives earned Novice and Junior Varsity categories at the National Opener, one of the mo ...

The Office of Civic and Community Engagement receives a $300,000 investment from JPMorgan Chase to t ...

The Canes have not named a starting quarterback for Thursday's game vs. UNC, but they know they ...

Conference play is just a few days away and the Miami Hurricanes are focused on their ACC opener on ...

View some of the top images from Estela Perez-Somarriba's Oracle ITA Masters title match victor ...

Lucia Marzal Martinez of the Miami women's tennis team competed as an amateur Tuesday in the Hi ...

The Miami Hurricanes were one of the biggest risers in both major polls released Sunday, jumping to ...