Edge, Music

Classical guitarist comes to campus

Photo Courtesy stltoday.com

Photo Courtesy stltoday.com

Just two weeks after winning the 2015 Grammy Award for Best Classical Instrumental Solo, classical guitarist Jason Vieaux, 41, will perform at the University of Miami Saturday.

As a full-time teacher and performer, Vieaux has dedicated his life to music and musical education. He will bring his talents to the Clarke Recital Hall for an intimate performance. Frederico Musgrove Stetson, a first-year doctoral student in the Frost School of Music, worked with the Florida Guitar Foundation to bring Vieaux to UM.

“We’re trying to expand our audience, and I do tell people if you go to one concert, you’ll come back for another one,” Musgrove Stetson said.

Musgrove Stetson believes Vieaux has great prowess and notes that his winning means a lot for classical guitarists.

“Guitars don’t get nominated too often for that [category]because you go against the piano players, or the violin players, these huge people backed by big companies,” Musgrove Stetson said. “I think this is the third win for solo guitars.”

The concert will take place in the intimate Clarke Recital hall, which holds 137 people, allowing for the audience to hear everything without the need for amplification. It will last between an hour and a half to two hours with an intermission in between. Vieaux be available to sign CDs and take pictures after the concert, meaning that listeners will get the chance to meet him personally.

The set list for the evening includes 12 songs such as Mauro Giuliani’s “Grand Overture,” Vieaux’s arrangements of Pat Metheny’s “Always and Forever,” and Duke Ellington’s “In a Sentimental Mood.”

Vieaux has released 11 CDs, including “PLAY,” for which he won the 2015 Grammy award. He will play an array of classical genres, from famous composer like Johann Sebastian Bach to contemporary Brazilian composer Paulo Bellinati.

Vieaux tours frequently, but for Musgrove Stetson, one of the most fascinating aspects of Vieaux’s career is his online music school – Online Classical Guitar School with Jason Vieaux. Stetson believes online music schools are the future.

“It’s pretty cool because you submit a video and then he looks at it and then gets back to you,” Musgrove Stetson said. “He’s always one step ahead of everyone else when it comes to [music].”

If You Go

Where: Clarke Recital Hall

When: 8:00P.M. on Saturday, February 21

Cost: Tickets cost $30 for general admission and $15 for students.

Esther Ponce De Leon

Throughout the four years he spent as a tackle for the Miami Hurricanes, Tyree St. Louis never consi ...

Finally, a marquee home game for the University of Miami men’s basketball team, a game big enough th ...

University of Miami basketball coach Jim Larranaga, awaiting word from the NCAA on the appeal to rei ...

The Hurricanes officially welcomed ballyhooed new quarterback Tate Martell on campus Friday, and he’ ...

Before Jess Simpson’s final playoff run as the coach of Buford fell short in a Georgia state champio ...

The University of Miami brings together leaders in academia, professional practice, and industry to ...

On Dec. 14, 2018 universal health care programs in both the United States and Mexico were dealt sign ...

For the first time in more than 15 years, two of UMTV’s weekly shows were nominated for the Televisi ...

Miami Transplant Institute performed 681 transplants during 2018, setting a new national record in k ...

Jazz aficionados launch new video series by sharing invaluable performance techniques. ...

"We're excited to welcome these coaches to the Miami family," Diaz said. ...

The No. 17 Miami women's tennis team recorded its second win of the day Saturday evening at the ...

Chris Lykes scored 20 points, but the Canes come up just short against No. 13 UNC. ...

In the first of its two matches Saturday at the FGCU Tennis Complex, the No. 17 Miami women's t ...

Canes have won six of last 10 meetings with UNC. ...