Campus Life, News

Celebration honors Chinese New Year

NEWS_ChineseNewYearA_sh

File photo by Sarah Hirth // Contributing Photographer

On Monday, the University of Miami will be glistening in red and gold, lanterns will light up the campus, and a vibrant dragon will compel people to follow it into the past.

The University of Miami’s Chinese Students and Scholars Association and Asian American Students Association are hosting a Lunar New Year Celebration. The event, titled “Journey Down the Silk Road,” will celebrate East Asian culture and traditions.

The event will consist of performances and interactive tents. Students will be able to see their name written in calligraphy, observe a Kung Fu exhibition and play games. There will be tents with Chinese, Korean and Japanese foods, as well as food trucks on site.

Planning for the event began in November. Sa Zhang, the logistics director for the event, explained that the biggest challenge faced by the associations was deciding how to promote the Chinese New Year culture to students.

Zhang said that there are so many traditions that take place during Lunar New Year that the organizations could only focus on a few.

“[There are] fireworks, making Chinese food and watching the biggest TV show of the year, the CCTV New Year’s Gala,” she said. “For this event, we focused on the other traditions that can be comparatively easier to present.”

Haiyi Lin, president of the Chinese Students and Scholars Association, celebrated the new year with her family and wanted to bring that to UM.

“It is a time for family reunions. We always have wonderful and huge dinner with all family members,” Lin said.

Lin added that her family receives red packet money as presents from family members instead of presents.

Red packet money is money in placed in a red envelope and given as a gift to unmarried members of the family. The red wrapping is symbolic and is believed to bring happiness and blessing to the receivers. But Lin says it is impolite to open a red packet in front of the person who gives it to you.

“Red packet money means fortune and best wishes,” she said.

The host organizations will have a tent for students wishing to learn more about them and how to get involved with on-campus events like this one.

Brianna Hernandez

Keontra Smith waited a long time for the Miami Hurricnaes to finally offer him. The defensive back g ...

University of Miami true freshman running back Cam’ron Davis, known as Cam for short, is about to lo ...

It’s impossible for the Miami Hurricanes to ignore all the negative feedback which comes along with ...

The Pittsburgh Panthers’ win against the Virginia Tech Hokies was, for all intents and purposes, alr ...

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

The Canes top the Golden Eagles to move onto the WNIT Championship game. ...

The Canes know the importance a win over Virginia Tech on Saturday can have heading into the final w ...

The University of Miami women's golf team announced Thursday that international amateur standou ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

Tournament runs Nov. 21-24, 2019, in Charleston, S.C. ...