Campus Life, News

Celebration honors Chinese New Year

NEWS_ChineseNewYearA_sh

File photo by Sarah Hirth // Contributing Photographer

On Monday, the University of Miami will be glistening in red and gold, lanterns will light up the campus, and a vibrant dragon will compel people to follow it into the past.

The University of Miami’s Chinese Students and Scholars Association and Asian American Students Association are hosting a Lunar New Year Celebration. The event, titled “Journey Down the Silk Road,” will celebrate East Asian culture and traditions.

The event will consist of performances and interactive tents. Students will be able to see their name written in calligraphy, observe a Kung Fu exhibition and play games. There will be tents with Chinese, Korean and Japanese foods, as well as food trucks on site.

Planning for the event began in November. Sa Zhang, the logistics director for the event, explained that the biggest challenge faced by the associations was deciding how to promote the Chinese New Year culture to students.

Zhang said that there are so many traditions that take place during Lunar New Year that the organizations could only focus on a few.

“[There are] fireworks, making Chinese food and watching the biggest TV show of the year, the CCTV New Year’s Gala,” she said. “For this event, we focused on the other traditions that can be comparatively easier to present.”

Haiyi Lin, president of the Chinese Students and Scholars Association, celebrated the new year with her family and wanted to bring that to UM.

“It is a time for family reunions. We always have wonderful and huge dinner with all family members,” Lin said.

Lin added that her family receives red packet money as presents from family members instead of presents.

Red packet money is money in placed in a red envelope and given as a gift to unmarried members of the family. The red wrapping is symbolic and is believed to bring happiness and blessing to the receivers. But Lin says it is impolite to open a red packet in front of the person who gives it to you.

“Red packet money means fortune and best wishes,” she said.

The host organizations will have a tent for students wishing to learn more about them and how to get involved with on-campus events like this one.

Brianna Hernandez

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Wednesday: ▪ The Canes find themselves in the mix for a couple o ...

It was May 2015, and the Miami Herald was reporting for a feature on high school football players ab ...

Deidrick Stanley had his eye on the Miami Hurricanes long before his hometown school finally offered ...

A six-pack of Hurricanes notes on a Tuesday: ▪ UM has only two Rivals.com five-star recruits on the ...

Even five months ago, it would’ve been hard to picture Jaylan Knighton winding up with the Miami Hur ...

The 2019 NFL draft begins tonight from Nashville, Tennessee, and continues through Saturday with sev ...

The final concrete slabs for the 25 interconnected buildings of the newly named Lakeside Village are ...

A former UM professor started a company dedicated to publishing books on African-American culture, h ...

A group of School of Architecture students visited the Caribbean nation to learn about the historic ...

Faculty with the Miller School of Medicine and Rosenstiel School of Marine and Atmospheric Science w ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team won ACC Player of the Year for the seco ...

Sophomore Adria Soriano Barrera earned second team accolades for the second straight season, while f ...

Miami and adidas today unveiled the first-ever baseball jerseys made from Parley Ocean Plastic. ...

Michael Amditis tied a career-high with three hits and a homer to help the #24 Canes sweep FIU. ...

Miami earns sixth seed in Cle Elum Regional, hosted by the University of Washington. ...