On-campus research magazine asks for funding

miami scientifica

Voting for Student Government (SG) elections has officially begun and will end Wednesday at 4 p.m. In addition to choosing a new SG president, vice president and senate chairs, University of Miami students will also have the opportunity to vote “yes” or “no” for the UMiami Scientifica referendum.

Scientifica Magazine is UM’s first undergraduate research magazine, and launched its first issue in November 2014. Its focus is mainly to provide students with insight on topics of science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).

In order for the magazine to release four print issues per year, Scientifica staff members have to deal with the challenge of printing costs.

The UMiami Scientifica referendum asks students to vote on the idea of adding a one-dollar increase to their student activities fee to cover printing costs for the publication.

Students can vote at one of the polling stations installed in the University Center (UC) breezeway, the freshman residential colleges or online through OrgSync at orgsync.com/81696/forms/133697.

Sophie Barros

The series—which will feature experts discussing their groundbreaking research on corals, ocean and atmospheric science, and how climate change is forcing communities to alter their long-range plans—will begin this week. ...

Octavia Bridges, a 20-year veteran of the University of Miami Police Department, has been promoted to oversee crime prevention and community relations on the Coral Gables Campus. ...

The Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection has given social scientists and psychologists another example to examine the behavior and actions of groups. ...

Some experts believe that pent-up demand will push the economy into a rebound after the majority of the U.S. population receives the COVID-19 vaccine. ...

All students are required to test negative for COVID-19 before attending any in-person classes, programs, or work shifts on any University of Miami campus. With the start of classes Monday, here is the critical information students need to know. ...