Basketball, Sports

Canes to host Virginia Tech in yet another critical game

Following a thrilling double overtime victory at Boston College, Head Coach Jim Larrañaga’s University of Miami Hurricanes hope to keep its NCAA tournament hopes alive against the Virginia Tech Hokies 7 p.m. Wednesday at the BankUnited Center.

Last week, Larrañaga said his team needs its rating percentage index (RPI) to be in the top 40 to make the NCAA tournament. The RPI is 64; however, if the team splits its remaining games against No. 12 Louisville and No. 15 North Carolina and wins its other remaining conference games, Miami may still make the Big Dance.

The Hurricanes (16-9, 6-6 ACC) are facing a quicker than usual turnaround after the game at Boston College was delayed a day due to a snowstorm in the Boston area. Larrañaga’s team had just one day of practice to prepare for the Hokies.

Wednesday’s matchup against Virginia Tech (10-15, 2-10) marks another hurdle for the Hurricanes. This year, VT has lost to Appalachian State, Northern Iowa and Radford. The Hokies have lost four of its last five, with the lone victory coming from fellow ACC bottom dweller Georgia Tech. Virginia Tech’s RPI is 220th in the nation.

Yet, Miami has struggled against low quality ACC opponents, losing to Georgia Tech, Wake Forest and Florida State.

Sophomore guard Davon Reed has proven to be a consistent performer for Larrañaga since his return from injury in late December. Reed is connecting on an astounding 59 percent of his three-point attempts in ACC play, and has scored at least 10 points in six of Miami’s last eight games. ​

Mark Poulose

Photo Gallery: UM v. Virginia Tech | Saturday, November 17, 2018 … Click to Continue » ...

The Miami Hurricanes found new life Saturday — despite so much seemingly going wrong. Big plays on o ...

At least in terms of their bowl situation, the Miami Hurricanes can take a deep, collective breath. ...

Thoughts, notes, reaction and postscripts after UM’s 38-14 win on Saturday at Virginia Tech, making ...

There wasn’t much energy in the Watsco Center stands on Saturday afternoon as most University of Mia ...

UM Libraries is presenting an extraordinary exhibit that immerses the audience in an emotional journ ...

A UM researcher is helping to lead a study on how smoke interacts with clouds and its impact on the ...

People are bombarded with news and information these days, providing opportunities for discourse tha ...

Students, faculty and staff stopped by the School of Architecture’s Korach Gallery to learn what Mag ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

The Canes got back to their winning ways with an impressive 38-14 victory at Virginia Tech. ...

20-point performances from Chris Lykes and DJ Vasiljevic led Miami past Bethune-Cookman. ...

Seniors Kolby Bird and Haley Templeton will play in their final match at the James L. Knight Sports ...

The No. 24 Miami women's basketball team is headed to Iowa State for the Preseason WNIT champio ...

The Canes hit the road for the final time in the 2018 regular season and it is to a familiar and hos ...