‘Spit-balled’ odds, thoughts on next university president

With President Donna E. Shalala’s last semester underway, the search for her replacement raises many questions in the minds of students: What exactly does a college president do? Who’s next? Will the president sack Al Golden, get rid of Chartwells and give me automatic A’s?

Fortunately for the curious, I’ve done some research to guide those left in the dark about who our next leader will be. And because it’s almost March Madness, I’m giving my thoughts in odds.

First, a caveat.

These are completely spit-balled projections and should be treated as such. The real search is secret, because any strong and employed candidate obviously can’t openly say they’re considering leaving to become president of UM.

Second, the role of the new president.

In brief, the president will be responsible for raising lots of money and hiring qualified people for research and medicine. Everything else, including athletics and undergraduate student life, will follow from that.

That said, here are my odds and  thoughts on each.

Some provost or dean you’ve never heard of, 1:1. Shalala’s fresh out of President Clinton’s administration was a high-profile choice.

Most similar college presidents at nonprofit research universities are not.

Academic administrators understand how to navigate bureaucracy, usually with the essential bonus of teaching experience. Shalala herself was chancellor at Wisconsin-Madison in the 1990s.

Pascal Goldschmidt, dean of Miller School of Medicine, 1:10. Head of the Miller School of Medicine? Check. Understands STEM research? Check. Young age, but great touch-of-gray hair? Check and check.

Goldschmidt’s main likely drawback: a faculty protest against profit-driven actions at Miller in 2012-13, might actually be a bonus in a gig focused on money-raising.

Roni Avissar, dean of RSMAS, 1:20. Like Dean Goldschmidt, Dean Avissar is a media-friendly, young STEM-focused administrator from within the university.

Like Goldschmidt, Avissar has an international background, which is good for a globally ambitious school. RSMAS isn’t on the bureaucratic scale of UHealth, so Goldschmidt gets the edge in the odds.

Steven Chu, former secretary of Energy, 1:40. Chu, a Nobel Laureate in Physics and former director of the Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, just left the Obama Cabinet.

While there, he was focused on carbon reduction strategies, a nice fit within the university’s research.

Plus, UM did well the last time we picked a cabinet official, right?

Alan Krueger, Princeton labor economist, 1:75. Krueger just finished a stint as chair of the White House Council of Economic Advisers and is one of the top 50-cited economists in the world.

He doesn’t have the administrative experience, which is likely his biggest drawback. However, after Chu, Krueger is one of the top big policymakers who might be open to an offer.

Daniel Barry, MD ’82, former astronaut, 1:100. Balanced academic background in biotech and robotic engineering, and an alumnus to boot. Plus, he was in space.

His post-NASA career includes a stint on the show “Survivor” and administrative experience at the start-up school Singularity University.

Those both may be too far out in left field for UM’s tastes.

Gloria Estefan, BA ’79, Singer, 1:1000. Ms. Estefan has experience in the university’s board of trustees.

And while a student here, she was almost recruited to spy for the CIA, which was cool.

Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson, BGS ’95, professionally strong person. 1:1,000,000.

My personal vote.

Patrick Quinlan is a junior majoring in international studies and political science.

Patrick Quinlan

Follow the sights and sounds of the pregame festivities in Orlando leading up to Saturday’s big matc ...

A team of researchers created the first mapping model of its kind to track how hate spreads and adap ...

University of Miami professors who study water treatment and civil engineering say that water contam ...

University of Miami experts in health geography, law, and public health weigh in on some of the issu ...

The Class of 2023 Stamps Scholars begin their first year at the University of Miami. ...

Senior linebackers Shaquille Quarterman, Michael Pinckney and Zach McCloud have already made history ...

The Hurricanes kick off their 2019 soccer campaign Thursday night against UTRGV. ...

Blake James details how Miami and Florida agreed to renew their rivalry with an upcoming home-and-ho ...

adidas x Miami announce continued collaboration with Parley for the Oceans ...

Canes legend Michael Irvin will be attendance for the event the night before the Miami-Florida game. ...