News Briefs 2/16

Senior Diana Khromova (left),  Senior Kamila Orlova (middle), and Senior Zachary Finley (right) take part in a Boogie Woogie flash mob dance, Friday at the SAC Patio, to unite students in the spirit of Valentine's Day. Khromova, a member of the Russian and Eastern European Club,  organized the event after being inspired by a friend's iPhone playlist of Russian songs. COISO Senator Orlova, said of the event, “We believe that this 10 minute fun and relaxation is a great thing all students can receive as a Valentine present from their fellow students that put this together.” Marwan Alenezi // Contributing Photographer

Senior Diana Khromova (left), Senior Kamila Orlova (middle), and Senior Zachary Finley (right) take part in a Boogie Woogie flash mob dance, Friday at the SAC Patio, to unite students in the spirit of Valentine’s Day. Khromova, a member of the Russian and Eastern European Club, organized the event after being inspired by a friend’s iPhone playlist of Russian songs. COISO Senator Orlova, said of the event, “We believe that this 10 minute fun and relaxation is a great thing all students can receive as a Valentine present from their fellow students that put this together.” Marwan Alenezi // Contributing Photographer

Run and Walk

The sixth annual SunSmart 5K Run and Walk, created and hosted by University of Miami medical students, will be raising money to support skin cancer research and heart health.

The non-profit event will feature free skin cancer screenings from UM dermatologists. All proceeds will go toward skin cancer research and Team for Life, a program that places automated external defibrillators throughout the Miami area.

Registration includes a timer, a T-shirt, food, giveaways, prizes, medals and parking. The 5K Run and Walk will start at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 21 in Crandon Park, located at 6747 Crandon Blvd Key Biscayne, Fla. To register, visit sunsmart5k.com.

BeSmokeFree

The University of Miami’s award-winning BeSmokeFree program is offering free group classes for those interested in quitting smoking.

Group classes are led by a certified tobacco treatment specialist to provide the support and tools necessary to become tobacco free. The six-week interval classes will begin sessions on Wednesday, Feb. 18 at the Coral Gables campus, and Tuesday, Feb. 17, and Thursday, Feb. 19 at the Miller School of Medicine campus.

Sponsored by the Area Health Education Center’s Tobacco Program, classes are available to UM employees, students and the community. For a complete schedule and more information, visit http://Miami.edu/besmokefree or contact Mohammad Asad at MAsad@med.miami.edu.

Horizons Application

Horizons, a pre-orientation program for incoming African, Hispanic, Asian and Native American students, is accepting applications for counselors.

The program assists new multicultural students in their transition to the University of Miami. Counselors will assist with the execution of the event, attend the Horizons Counselor meet and greet and a training.

The pre-orientation program will be on Friday, Aug. 21. Applications are due at 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 20 at the Multicultural Student Affairs office in Rhodes House 37-A. To apply, visit http://miami.edu/msa or call 305-284-2855.

Alina Zerpa can be e-mailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

University of Miami athletic director Blake James has no intention of pressuring or forcing coach Ma ...

He’s certainly not a veteran, but for the first time in his college football career, redshirt freshm ...

This November feels a lot more like March for the 24th-ranked University of Miami women’s basketball ...

For a month at a time, Louis Hedley would find himself in the deserts of Australia. His chances at m ...

It has been a trying season for college football fans of two Sunshine State programs: Florida State ...

The On Campus event featured innovative National Geographic Explorers—photographers, scientists, sto ...

UM Professor of Law Frances R. Hill tells us what we should know. ...

An international study led by University of Miami tropical biologists reveals that tropical trees ar ...

UM’s robotics team recently obtained a new robot with the goal of helping aging individuals. ...

New student organization’s mission is a movement to return to the ‘roots’ of natural hair. ...

N'Kosi Perry wants to build off his showing at Georgia Tech with another strong performance thi ...

University of Miami head volleyball coach Jose "Keno" Gandara is excited to announce the s ...

Isaiah Wong and Anthony Walker will join Canes for 2019-20 season. ...

Three University of Miami men's tennis student-athletes – Adria Soriano Barrera, Bojan Jankulov ...

Estela Perez-Somarriba of the Miami women's tennis team checks in at seventh in the country in ...