News Briefs 2/16

Senior Diana Khromova (left),  Senior Kamila Orlova (middle), and Senior Zachary Finley (right) take part in a Boogie Woogie flash mob dance, Friday at the SAC Patio, to unite students in the spirit of Valentine's Day. Khromova, a member of the Russian and Eastern European Club,  organized the event after being inspired by a friend's iPhone playlist of Russian songs. COISO Senator Orlova, said of the event, “We believe that this 10 minute fun and relaxation is a great thing all students can receive as a Valentine present from their fellow students that put this together.” Marwan Alenezi // Contributing Photographer

Senior Diana Khromova (left), Senior Kamila Orlova (middle), and Senior Zachary Finley (right) take part in a Boogie Woogie flash mob dance, Friday at the SAC Patio, to unite students in the spirit of Valentine’s Day. Khromova, a member of the Russian and Eastern European Club, organized the event after being inspired by a friend’s iPhone playlist of Russian songs. COISO Senator Orlova, said of the event, “We believe that this 10 minute fun and relaxation is a great thing all students can receive as a Valentine present from their fellow students that put this together.” Marwan Alenezi // Contributing Photographer

Run and Walk

The sixth annual SunSmart 5K Run and Walk, created and hosted by University of Miami medical students, will be raising money to support skin cancer research and heart health.

The non-profit event will feature free skin cancer screenings from UM dermatologists. All proceeds will go toward skin cancer research and Team for Life, a program that places automated external defibrillators throughout the Miami area.

Registration includes a timer, a T-shirt, food, giveaways, prizes, medals and parking. The 5K Run and Walk will start at 7:30 a.m. on Saturday, Feb. 21 in Crandon Park, located at 6747 Crandon Blvd Key Biscayne, Fla. To register, visit sunsmart5k.com.

BeSmokeFree

The University of Miami’s award-winning BeSmokeFree program is offering free group classes for those interested in quitting smoking.

Group classes are led by a certified tobacco treatment specialist to provide the support and tools necessary to become tobacco free. The six-week interval classes will begin sessions on Wednesday, Feb. 18 at the Coral Gables campus, and Tuesday, Feb. 17, and Thursday, Feb. 19 at the Miller School of Medicine campus.

Sponsored by the Area Health Education Center’s Tobacco Program, classes are available to UM employees, students and the community. For a complete schedule and more information, visit http://Miami.edu/besmokefree or contact Mohammad Asad at MAsad@med.miami.edu.

Horizons Application

Horizons, a pre-orientation program for incoming African, Hispanic, Asian and Native American students, is accepting applications for counselors.

The program assists new multicultural students in their transition to the University of Miami. Counselors will assist with the execution of the event, attend the Horizons Counselor meet and greet and a training.

The pre-orientation program will be on Friday, Aug. 21. Applications are due at 5 p.m. on Friday, Feb. 20 at the Multicultural Student Affairs office in Rhodes House 37-A. To apply, visit http://miami.edu/msa or call 305-284-2855.

Alina Zerpa can be e-mailed at azerpa@themiamihurricane.com.

Alina Zerpa

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

Day Three of University of Miami football practice media viewing Friday inside the Carol Soffer Indo ...

Three-point defense isn’t enough of a weakness for the Miami Hurricanes to call it a full-fledged Ac ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team opened NCAA Tournament play with a 69-62 triump ...

University of Miami redshirt sophomore Alicia Blagg saved her best for last at the 2019 NCAA Swimmin ...

In a battle between two of the ACC's best pitchers, No. 5 NC State mustered a fifth-inning rall ...

The Hurricanes top Duke, 4-3, to improve to 6-0 in conference action. ...

The Miami track and field team concluded day one of the Power 5 Trailblazer Challenge competing in t ...