Opinion, Student Government

‘For U’ has stronger platform, experience

Voting for Student Government (SG) elections begins Monday. Two tickets are competing for the top positions of president, vice president and treasurer.

Although both tickets offer diverse platforms, The Miami Hurricane endorses the “For U” ticket – the team is knowledgeable about campus and SG, represents a wide array of student organizations and interests, and provides innovative short and long-term initiatives.

“For U” encompasses students from all corners of campus. The presidential and vice presidential candidates are involved with Greek life. The treasurer candidate is a part of the Student Activity Fee Allocation Committee (SAFAC), and chairs Canes Night Live, one of the largest programming boards on campus.

All three have also worked together outside of SG as leaders in Homecoming and Canes After Dark.

While “Upgrade” has an equally diverse set of qualified candidates, they lack the experience within SG to implement their initiatives.

The ticket is also running on some platforms that are already in the works. For example, an on-campus Redbox is an idea that has been discussed since 2012.

A large part of the “Upgrade” platform emphasizes technology as well. The ticket hopes to develop a QR code as a supplement to Canecards so students can access facilities like the dorms and the library if they lose their physical card. “Upgrade” also wants to create a sustainable picnic table to charge phones and laptops.

Though a QR code and handy chargers are always welcome, they should not carry a significant weight of “Upgrade’s” goals. The ticket lacks one or two strong long-term plans that will be picked up by future SG administrations and will have a more permanent impact for future generations.

On the other hand, “For U” plans to establish gender-neutral bathrooms and more 24/7 food options. These ideas are difficult to realize, but “For U” is wellconnected and can reach out to the right administrators to get the ball rolling.

“For U” is also placing the environment on the forefront of its ambitious list of initiatives. The candidates are working on adding energy floors designed to emit energy to power the lights in the building when students walk over it. This concept would help UM conserve energy for years to come.

Given “For U’s” candidates commitment to the university, they would like to see a version of the president’s picnic attended by every freshmen class during Orientation for graduating seniors.

Both teams bring new ideas that will enhance student life at the university, but “For U” is the top contender given its familiarity with SG and experience working with many facets of campus.

Editorials represent the majority view of The Miami Hurricane editorial board.

Editorial Board

Two-time Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova of the Czech Republic has been through more trauma in the ...

The words “Sweet 16” may never have been uttered as the Miami Hurricanes were laying out their prese ...

The mid-major monster nearly mauled the Miami Hurricanes again. But Miami bit back. Miami’s past thr ...

TCU coach Gary Patterson doesn’t like the way college football is trending when it comes to transfer ...

Oklahoma has its Oklahoma Drills. But the fired-up U has its own version of major college football p ...

The School of Nursing and Health Studies’ global research training program for minority students is ...

The University of Miami community gathered to remember the victims of the deadly New Zealand mosque ...

Culminating "an awesome, institution-wide effort," the Miller School of Medicine is celebr ...

Activist Claudio Rojas was featured in a documentary film, “The Infiltrators,” which is critical of ...

Associate professors William Pestle and Kathleen Sullivan Sealey traveled with students over spring ...

The fourth-seeded Miami women's basketball team will play fifth-seeded Arizona State in a top-2 ...

The Hurricanes made a ninth inning rally, but came up just short to No. 5 NC State, 7-6. ...

Kevin Arreaga of the University of Miami track and field team won the men's hammer throw on Sat ...

The Hurricanes received two key signatures from transfers in December's early signing period. ...

The Hurricanes travel to Chapel Hill, N.C., to battle the 11th-ranked Tar Heels. ...